Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 13 of 53 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257290 - 02/25/09 11:05 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I can attest to the Yorkvile system Fran's group uses.....simply AWESOME on stage!!

No doubt it sounds great, Donny, but would you, as a solo performer, haul around that much PA system?

PA's are easy to rent if a special system is needed...so you generally go with the system that meets 99% of your needs, and do a rental for the odd gig...and you can it write it off.

My style is way more laid back these past many years...I just want a high quality sound, and an easy to transport system...I'll leave the chest thumping head banging stuff to those more qualified, and for those who like playing it...I don't...I like the standards, the old country stuff, Jimmy Webb and Bacharach are also high on my list.

That kind of music just sounds so deluxe through the double Bose.

I'm almost surprised you aren't using a such a system...your music is 1st class and very orchestral/big band...it would be awesome.

Ian

#257291 - 02/25/09 11:21 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
babylon Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi.
Not to change the subject and get back on the original subject, however, Fran keep us updated on your recent purchase, and has anyone bought the 10" models of these units? How do they sound??

#257292 - 02/25/09 11:38 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had an interesting experience Friday night.
As some of you know, I used to have my own club, in a motel, for some seven years.
A month or so ago, the new owners of the motel called to ask if I could do a special Mardi Gras night for them. Since I was off that night, I agreed.
What I didn't realize is that in the past few months, the club has gone totally Karaoke six nights a week.
I went down the day before to be sure they knew that I don't do Karaoke. They did. A large group of customers from out of town had asked for me.
Anyway, I was to play from 8:00 til midnight.
I arrived about 6:45 to set up, but the Karaoke guy was going. The place was jam-packed with people and I could hear the music before I got out of the car. Huge speakers, with sound level so high your ears would bleed. This place seats 56 people max.
I went to the office and the manager said that at 5:00 the place was full so he asked the K guy to work for awhile. He said he would be out of the way by 8:00.
I told him I needed a minimum of 30 minutes to set up, so he said no problem, start when you get ready.
It took me about 10 minutes to set up and try to follow the K guy's act. He did have them rockin'.
Well I pumped up the bass a little and set the L1 at close to "noon". Hadn't played that loud indoors ever. I kicked off with Jambalaya, to a rock beat and the place erupted. Haven't heard cheers that loud in a while. I went right into Old Time Rock n Roll, then Honky-Tonk Woman (Stones).
After that I said "I hope ya'll like Country because that's what you're gonna get for a while". Again the loud cheers.
Most of the crowd was from Texas, so I did T for Texas, Texas when I die, Ft. Worth, All My Exes--the usual assortment of Texas songs, again at really loud levels.
It was fun to play loud for a change, but by the end of the night I was totally exhausted from expending all that energy. When the crowd is into it, it's really contagious.
People kept coming up and saying stuff like "That's our kind of music". The younger people even got into it. You would think Brown-eyed Girl would be so trite, but no, it never fails.
Anyway, the Bose did everything the big K setup did, but with more clarity and better coverage in the back of the room. On the dance floor you could get into the bass, but the mids and highs weren't painful as they were before I got there.
I have played everything from living rooms to outdoors for 300 people with the L1, and it never fails to do the job, and get plenty of compliments. The K guy stayed around for about an hour and when I took a break, he wanted to know all about the Bose.
I'm really glad more acts around here don't have one. My demand (and price) has gone up since I was "converted".
Amazingly enough, DNJ and Gary D. convinced me to give it a try. Donny praised it so highly I had to get one. Thanks, my friend, even though you have changed your tune!
DonM

#257293 - 02/25/09 11:51 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny..change his tune!!!!!!!! Never..

Don, I too hate the harshness of being too loud...when we do the "loud" jobs, I am glad I am behind the speakers...even than with Stu and JoAnn's monitors..it is still too loud for me...

It is such a pleasure doing my Elvis, Dean, Frank stuff when I solo gig..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-25-2009).]

#257294 - 02/25/09 12:09 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Don.....as you already know I always give my honest opinions the Bose Pas was no different as I was one of the first to buy one when they came to market.....the sound was never a problem for me Mono or Stereo it certainly does the job with one sub or two if needed & if I stayed in one room all the time I would probably use the Bose PAS...if you need stereo buy two complete Bose Units.....why I sold it was that it doesn't give me the flexibility I desire when working a hectic different venue gig schedule every day as I do. The Bose PAS has to be set up the same way always which wasn't doable for my gigs...I much rather have two powered speaker setups a large 15" & small setup...this way I can mix & match to suit the need with 1,2,3,4 speakers if needed............I never begrudge anyone who enjoys the Bose....after all it's only a speaker....what goes thru them is the real winner....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-25-2009).]

#257295 - 02/25/09 12:42 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Depends on where the gig is, Who the patrons are and how large the room is. IF its in the TV room in a nursing home or Carlos and Charlies. Same gear two different impressions.

Kingfrog ... Going back to my earlier posts I was talking about using the Z-5500 at my COUNTRY CLUB gigs ...

t.

#257296 - 02/25/09 01:59 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Kingfrog ... Going back to my earlier posts I was talking about using the Z-5500 at my [b]COUNTRY CLUB gigs ...

t. [/B]

Tony, are you still trying to get on the same page ..with Kingfrog?

#257297 - 02/25/09 03:06 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Fran, I got sidetracked. My 802's are on the way (special deal from Randall). They'd better be good or I'll be right back critiquing your future performances . BTW, I noticed on MSNBC that Miss North Wildwood (2007) was just arrested for passing counterfeit $50.00 bills. She looks like one of your groupies (isn't that your territory?).

Seriously, I intend to run them in stereo from the line-outs on the K4 (more coverage, I hope, without compromising the good sound of the K4). If your review on these is as accurate as it was on the K4, this setup should sound ok. I'll let you know.

chas

#257298 - 02/25/09 03:09 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Tony, are you still trying to get on the same page ..with Kingfrog?

Worse things have happened
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257299 - 02/25/09 03:42 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Fran, I got sidetracked. My 802's are on the way (special deal from Randall). They'd better be good or I'll be right back critiquing your future performances . BTW, I noticed on MSNBC that Miss North Wildwood (2007) was just arrested for passing counterfeit $50.00 bills. She looks like one of your groupies (isn't that your territory?).

Seriously, I intend to run them in stereo from the line-outs on the K4 (more coverage, I hope, without compromising the good sound of the K4). If your review on these is as accurate as it was on the K4, this setup should sound ok. I'll let you know.

chas

Yes she is from my territory....I kept sending her into that Wawa for my tea for the ride home, and she keeps coming out with my tea and a handful of cash..

Hurry up and test the 802's, I need someone to step up and confirm my findings...or shoot me down..

It looks like you guys all got better deals than I got...and I bought 2 pair, and tried to whip up sales here on SZ....Sasha if you are reading...you owe me dinner, and breakfast if it works out well..

Page 13 of 53 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online