SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 53 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257220 - 02/23/09 08:44 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
quote from Kingfrog:
I can't agree with small Computer speakers being a viable alternative to anything professional except perhaps in a 200 SF room of 30 people.

Kingfrog ... just a question: Have you ever tried the Z-5500? ... If not, how can you judge them?

I have used them in rooms up to 150 people (some here have used them in even larger venues)and have received numerous compliments about the sound...
In one of the venues I work, I am located in one area, and have had people in the dining rooms off to my left and right compliment me on the music, so obviously the sound is being well dispersed ... Now, I am NOT talking about wall thumping dance bass sounds, but in the right environment they work wonderfully ...

Perhaps the fact that I am NOT blasting sounds out to the audience makes me less of a 'pro' ... but as long as my Country Club clients and their members are happy with my work and continue to pay me "pro" wages, I am satisfied ...

t.

#257221 - 02/23/09 08:56 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
So, Kingfog, you used a "home keyboard" for pro recordings...thanks, that was my point.

I'm not sure how many "arranger" players do arenas...do you know?

Remember, we are talking arranger players and their relevant venues on this forum, not bands like the Eagles....apples and BIG oranges.

Dual mono....?

So you would still use two (or multiple) Bose systems....exactly my point again; one is insufficient....thank you, although I still strongly suggest two systems in stereo to be the ideal combination....I've heard them...I've compared them...I know of which I speak.

Remember the focus of this forum is on arranger players...not playing along/over with a CD using a digital piano...or "keyboard karaoke " as most will call it.

My point was that the Bose sounds better using two systems in stereo...I still stand by that statement 100%.

I also stand by the statement that if you can use a brilliant home keyboard (Tyros3) for doing (or recording or pre-recording) an allegedly "pro" show, then, what's the problem with using a brilliant home/computer speaker system for doing an appropriately sized venue?

No problem for many players on this forum....you can't have used a Z-5500 or you wouldn't be making those statements.

I have personally used a Z5500...it is a terrific system, and the other big plus...it's stereo...not one dimensional mono.

I think you have lost sight of the reality in which most "arranger players" play...thankfully most of us here do not have their feet firmly planted in mid-air where yours seem to be.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-23-2009).]

#257222 - 02/23/09 10:20 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are three kinds of lies... Lies, damn lies, and specs

A KHz figure for low or high end means NOTHING without the figure that says HOW MANY db it is down at that point. Look at any professional (I mean REAL 'pro' gear like JBL) gear spec sheet, and you will see qualifying figures for frequency range, and wattage.

Frequency is expressed in how many db down at the frequency point the speaker is. Sure, a set of headphones can output a 40Hz tone, but unless it is stuck inside your ear, you would never hear it. Real speaker specs say that it CAN play a 30Hz tone, at -10db, or -15db, or -3db, whatever. Without that qualifying spec, the stat is MEANINGLESS.

Power is expressed in watts with a THD qualifier. What's the point of delivering 300 watts, if it comes at a price of being 30% THD? Power, on 'pro' specs, is expressed as a wattage at a specific THD. Usually, two or more. So, for instance, 300 watts @ 5% THD, 150watts % 0.5% THD. And, unless the amp is driving a built in speaker, it is expressed at a specific speaker load (4 ohm, 8 ohm, 2 ohm, etc.).

Without these qualifying figures, you are reading FICTION

And then, of course, getting all worked up here 'defending' your choice of 'fiction'

Without these qualifying figures, you CAN'T compare one s/p speaker set against another without your ears. Kingfrog, I've heard cheap gear sound great and pricey gear sound like crap. Surely all your years in the business have taught you THAT basic. On the whole, yes, pricier and well known will TEND to mean better. But there are always bargains to be had...

You mix through a pair of Alesis POS monitors. At least, in the opinion of someone that says you ALWAYS get what you pay for. Surely your own experience with these shows that your own elitist position on gear (the FIRST thing you criticize in others, when it suits you) is in error..?

You've got to make your mind up. Either judging equipment by it's reputation and price alone IS sufficient, or it isn't. If not, next time I mention some higher end piece of gear, cut a little slack, if not to me, then to all the OTHER audio pros who seem to think that price and reputation DOES equate to better performance.

JUST LIKE YOU

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-23-2009).]

#257223 - 02/23/09 12:18 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Interesting website to read..

http://www.dt4u.com/dtsystems/speakertech.php

#257224 - 02/23/09 12:28 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
There are three kinds of lies... Lies, damn lies, and specs

A KHz figure for low or high end means NOTHING without the figure that says HOW MANY db it is down at that point. Look at any professional (I mean REAL 'pro' gear like JBL) gear spec sheet, and you will see qualifying figures for frequency range, and wattage.

Frequency is expressed in how many db down at the frequency point the speaker is. Sure, a set of headphones can output a 40Hz tone, but unless it is stuck inside your ear, you would never hear it. Real speaker specs say that it CAN play a 30Hz tone, at -10db, or -15db, or -3db, whatever. Without that qualifying spec, the stat is MEANINGLESS.

Power is expressed in watts with a THD qualifier. What's the point of delivering 300 watts, if it comes at a price of being 30% THD? Power, on 'pro' specs, is expressed as a wattage at a specific THD. Usually, two or more. So, for instance, 300 watts @ 5% THD, 150watts % 0.5% THD. And, unless the amp is driving a built in speaker, it is expressed at a specific speaker load (4 ohm, 8 ohm, 2 ohm, etc.).

Without these qualifying figures, you are reading FICTION

And then, of course, getting all worked up here 'defending' your choice of 'fiction'

Without these qualifying figures, you CAN'T compare one s/p speaker set against another without your ears. Kingfrog, I've heard cheap gear sound great and pricey gear sound like crap. Surely all your years in the business have taught you THAT basic. On the whole, yes, pricier and well known will TEND to mean better. But there are always bargains to be had...

You mix through a pair of Alesis POS monitors. At least, in the opinion of someone that says you ALWAYS get what you pay for. Surely your own experience with these shows that your own elitist position on gear (the FIRST thing you criticize in others, when it suits you) is in error..?

You've got to make your mind up. Either judging equipment by it's reputation and price alone IS sufficient, or it isn't. If not, next time I mention some higher end piece of gear, cut a little slack, if not to me, then to all the OTHER audio pros who seem to think that price and reputation DOES equate to better performance.

JUST LIKE YOU

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-23-2009).]

Diki I can assure you I know technical specs. I did not feel the need to go into the detail regarding THD and dbs of drop of at what frequencies for a $200 Chinese Speaker bought on Ebay.(especially in a forum where low end Computer Speakers are considered viable live performance fare)I know you have a great need need to impress for whatever reason. Perhaps you are insecure with your self or where you have gone in life with your music, who knows? However if you REALLY knew what you were talking about, my choice of monitor would be easily understood as anyone who knows anything about recording knows monitors are for REFERENCE and one mans reference means nothing to another, I am sure I can make a beter mix on them then a new set of whatever you want to throw at me. Major producers and engineers STILL carry tissue tweeter covered Yamaha NSMS around. Can I afford a set of Genelecs or another "flavor of the day" monitor. Uh yeah many times over, But why when I have been using the same monitors (and have a box full of replacement drivers) for years and am satisfied with the result? I don;t need nor want to begin anew refencing a monitor. Its more important to KNOW your monitors then to BUY them based on numbers.

Studio vs live....Apples and oranges..Surely even YOU know that? Or do you? Do you see me using $200 speakers live? Uh No.... I will use them all day long in the studio though becasue i KNOW them and I know what to expect as a result of using them. I also know what to expect from $200 speakers in a live situation...Apparently you don't.

BTW one COULD mix on Logitech Computer speakers if they KNOW them. Thats the KEY KNOW THY MONITORS BEFORE the MARKET HEARS....Can't do that wil live speakers...The market IS hearing them.

I know you have been beat up a little here lately and need some cred You want to try to earn them back back from your minions on someone else more respected than I IM not buying your BS and I happen to KNOW beyond any shadow of doubt you don't know it all.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-23-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257225 - 02/23/09 12:39 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Just ordered mine Yeah ....they are on the way...If Fran says Go for it....you can best believe you GO FOR IT!!!!!!

#257226 - 02/23/09 12:46 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Just ordered mine Yeah ....they are on the way...If Fran says Go for it....you can best believe you GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Who says there is no God...LOL
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257227 - 02/23/09 12:48 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
quote from Kingfrog:
[b]I can't agree with small Computer speakers being a viable alternative to anything professional except perhaps in a 200 SF room of 30 people.

Kingfrog ... just a question: Have you ever tried the Z-5500? ... If not, how can you judge them?

I have used them in rooms up to 150 people (some here have used them in even larger venues)and have received numerous compliments about the sound...
In one of the venues I work, I am located in one area, and have had people in the dining rooms off to my left and right compliment me on the music, so obviously the sound is being well dispersed ... Now, I am NOT talking about wall thumping dance bass sounds, but in the right environment they work wonderfully ...

Perhaps the fact that I am NOT blasting sounds out to the audience makes me less of a 'pro' ... but as long as my Country Club clients and their members are happy with my work and continue to pay me "pro" wages, I am satisfied ...

t. [/B]

They are comlimenting YOU not your speakers....
Think about how many MORE compliments you would get with a better sound system. Good enough is never that when performing live.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257228 - 02/23/09 01:40 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Kingfrog...I am almost ready to buy you a pair of these 802's...They have taken everything I have thrown at them..Playing G70 organ with deep fat organ bass..along with G70 drums..Deep bass, and great highs..at a volume that is too loud for 90 percent of my jobs ..usually 150 to 250 people...I was just telling Donny..a pair on poles and a pair on the floor.. would blow anyone's mind...They are that good...They kick as good as most 15"...

I believe the company has achieved this great sound, partly in the design of the cabinet and the matching of components..They designed the tuned ports well, eliminating a rattling and breaking up of sound that is evident on others..even the name brands..

The key is durability..and only time will tell...They are made very well..I wanted to use the old saying.."built like a tank"..but that is very common now days on SZ..

Tell me you would admit..as in eating crow..here on SZ..and put them up against your Brand names..even the 12" models...and I may just buy a pair for you....I think there would be enough of us here to chip in...just to hear you eat crow...

#257229 - 02/23/09 01:50 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

Also ...I'd bet these would be a BIG seller on the showroom floor at GC if demonstrated properly also

Page 6 of 53 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online