Page 16 of 53 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257320 - 02/26/09 03:36 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
What? Powdered speakers?

Yeah, they're great with a fresh cup of coffee.

chas

#257321 - 02/26/09 04:56 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Yeah, they're great with a fresh cup of coffee.

chas

...Made with dehydrated water...

#257322 - 02/26/09 05:38 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I've said before many times, Ian... the typical type of gig I do involves being loud and upfront where the dancers and these actually there for the music are, and being a LOT quieter for those that wish to converse (or just order a drink!) or eat in relative peace further back. The Bose actually works AGAINST you in those scenarios, just as a regular PA works against those that want full room even coverage.

Strokes for folks.

I understand your point very well, Diki, as I need the same type of speakers for my restaurant gigs...that's why I use the Yamaha MS60S for those scenarios.

My plans, starting with the upcoming tourist season that starts in June, will be to do a series of indoor concerts at a local theatre (restored from the 30's)...so I will want the PA to fill the room and give all patrons the same basic listening experience throughout.

I will be using a vocalist for some of the gigs, and also a guitarist buddy of mine for a bunch as well...it will fun.

The plans got held up a bit by my recent surgery, but they are now back on track again.

I have no plans of retiring my Yamaha MS60S and/or my restaurant gigs, but I do want to expand my capabilities and versatility.

I can get the Bose at a great price (it pays to have friends in the business) so it won't be a big layout of money, especially compared to the return I will get from it, plus it is a reliable piece from what I have learned in my investigations.

If the focus of your gigs ever changes, it comes highly recommended.

Ian

#257323 - 02/26/09 08:51 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stokely Offline

First, hello! I registered because of this topic. Unfortunately I don't have any insight to share, rather I'm looking for some

I need a monitor/amp for a casual rock/pop band situation (ie, not gigging often, mostly for fun). Money is very tight right now, or else I'd be looking at a Mackie 350/450 or a 100watt+ keys amp...I need something that can serve as practice monitor with a loud drummer (is there any other kind? ) and as stage monitor where there isn't a dedicated mix, so I was kind of thinking something with a 12 or 15" speaker. However, if these can get over a nearby drummer and rock guitarist, the price is certainly right. I would be going mono for now unfortunately.

Looking forward to more feedback on these. Any comments on whether they would work for my situation would be greatly appreciated, as would other options.

Thanks!

#257324 - 02/26/09 09:28 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Stokely:
First, hello! I registered because of this topic. Unfortunately I don't have any insight to share, rather I'm looking for some

I need a monitor/amp for a casual rock/pop band situation (ie, not gigging often, mostly for fun). Money is very tight right now, or else I'd be looking at a Mackie 350/450 or a 100watt+ keys amp...I need something that can serve as practice monitor with a loud drummer (is there any other kind? ) and as stage monitor where there isn't a dedicated mix, so I was kind of thinking something with a 12 or 15" speaker. However, if these can get over a nearby drummer and rock guitarist, the price is certainly right. I would be going mono for now unfortunately.

Looking forward to more feedback on these. Any comments on whether they would work for my situation would be greatly appreciated, as would other options.

Thanks!

I would look at the Alto PSLA4 if you want a fairly full range sound.
Behringer has some powered speakers although I tell my customers not to buy any "budget" amplified product that is mission critical. For a monitor the Behringer is a decent bang for the buck solution as are the Altos.
box.....

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=55880
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257325 - 02/26/09 09:30 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't know about the speaker yet, they will be here Monday. But I am very impressed with the quick service. I ordered them mid-afternoon, and they shipped the same day.
I bid $220. and got 'em, btw.
DonM

#257326 - 02/26/09 09:38 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stokely Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
I would look at the Alto PSLA4 if you want a fairly full range sound.
Behringer has some powered speakers although I tell my customers not to buy any "budget" amplified product that is mission critical. For a monitor the Behringer is a decent bang for the buck solution as are the Altos.
box.....

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=55880

Hey, thanks for that...I hadn't heard of those before.

One reason those 8" cheap speakers appeal to me is that they might be able to tide me through this period of time until I can save up for something nice. In other words, if I go budget, go *really* budget I won't be using the amp/speaker like a travelling full-time musician might, though, so something like the Behringers might hold up fine.

#257327 - 02/26/09 09:45 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had two of the new Behringer powered speakers. They worked great.
I got them from George Kaye, I think.
DonM

#257328 - 02/26/09 10:07 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

I should have them here tomorrow.....

#257329 - 02/26/09 10:45 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Stokely Offline

Well, I second the quick service at least...I emailed a question about the return policy and had an answer in five minutes. This was the only factory direct site, not the ebay store.

Apparently they have 10" ones also, though those don't appear on the site.

Looking forward to more reviews

Edit: Seeing as how shipping is free over 199, maybe I'm looking at stereo after all

[This message has been edited by Stokely (edited 02-26-2009).]

Page 16 of 53 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online