Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 53 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257280 - 02/25/09 07:49 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
So when I get a compliment at one of MY gigs where I've used the Z-5500, it's because PA system made me sound good, right ... just asking ...

t.

Depends on where the gig is, Who the patrons are and how large the room is. IF its in the TV room in a nursing home or Carlos and Charlies. Same gear two different impressions.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257281 - 02/25/09 07:49 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
If Fran says they sound great ....
believe me they are GREAT!

No doubt they are "GREAT" to Fran...but we all have our own definition of "great" (he thinks the G70 is great, remember ), and unless I hear them and play my Yamaha PSR-S900 through them, I will not spend the money on them.

It's like when Fran said the Traynor K4 was a great keyboard amp...true, it is; but it's a not a great arranger amp, in my opinion...I played a Yamaha PSR-S900 and a Roland E60 through one in the store some time ago, and it was mediocre at best.

Now, for a keyboard amp, which no doubt the word "keyboard" meaning electric/electronic pianos, synthesizers, and especially clone-wheel organs, the K4 works extremely well, because it doesn't have to deal with the myriad of sounds and frequencies that an arranger keyboard puts out...in fact, no dedicated keyboard amp I've ever used has done a great job on an arranger.

Traynor K4...great for a band keyboardist...not so great for arranger player.

I might really like these new speakers that Fran recommends, but I always try before I buy.

I am going to get a pair of Bose L1 Model II this spring/summer...I spent considerable time with them, and although the single Bose comes highly recommended from many people on this forum, I found it did not do the job I wanted, unless two units were used...it really makes a difference, and brings it to a new level.

The PSR-S900 sounded awesome through them (and well it should, considering their price ), but I feel it's worth the investment as Bose make a durable and reliable product.

I don't mind the extra setup time...I always plan my gigs to allow for it...I don't rush anything any more...life is hectic enough without having my music becoming that way....that's when I relax.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-25-2009).]

#257282 - 02/25/09 08:04 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
No doubt they are "GREAT" to Fran...but we all have our own definition of "great" (he thinks the G70 is great, remember ), and unless I hear them and play my Yamaha PSR-S900 through them, I will not spend the money on them.

It's like when Fran said the Traynor K4 was a great keyboard amp...true, it is; but it's a not a great arranger amp, in my opinion...I played a Yamaha PSR-S900 and a Roland E60 through one in the store some time ago, and it was mediocre at best.

Now, for a keyboard amp, which no doubt the word "keyboard" meaning electric/electronic pianos, synthesizers, and especially clone-wheel organs, the K4 works extremely well, because it doesn't have to deal with the myriad of sounds and frequencies that an arranger keyboard puts out...in fact, no dedicated keyboard amp I've ever used has done a great job on an arranger.

Traynor K4...great for a band keyboardist...not so great for arranger player.

I might really like these new speakers that Fran recommends, but I always try before I buy.

I am going to get a pair of Bose L1 Model II this spring/summer...I spent considerable time with them, and although the single Bose comes highly recommended from many people on this forum, I found it did not do the job I wanted, unless two units were used...it really makes a difference, and brings it to a new level.

The PSR-S900 sounded awesome through them (and well it should, considering their price :eek , but I feel it's worth the investment as Bose make a durable and reliable product.

I don't mind the extra setup time...I always plan my gigs to allow for it...I don't rush anything any more...life is hectic enough without having my music becoming that way....that's when I relax.

Ian

I don;t know where people think the Bose are expensive. Quite the contrary for a high end PA.

Add up the cost of Yamaha or JBL TOTL "Club" speakers, Poles, a Sub, Mixer, a pair of power Amps.(or High end Powered Mixer) monitoring system, cables, Hand Truck even the vehicle needed to get that stuff around. No take the depreciation and resale effort and value.

Now take a standard Bose System and do the same. IF one looks at the demand for USed systems on Ebay one will see people the cost of owning the Bose for even two years is at most $700!! Resale is high and used systems are in demand and relatively rare. IF one has Two systems they may depreciate $1100. Still less than the conventional high line system...

I show customers the numbers the Ebay sales and anyone who has tried to sell a conventional system knows the resale is not only hard but the losses are deep.Thanks to Bose pricing policy the value stays high.

So the Bose actually cost LESS to own and operate on many levels.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257283 - 02/25/09 08:13 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

All I know I'm glad I sold mine when the going was good

#257284 - 02/25/09 08:23 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
So the Bose actually cost LESS to own and operate on many levels.

Yep, when you put it that way, it sure does...but many people don't look at gear as an investment...I do.

It also makes even more sense when you consider the Bose will last a long time, as well as not taking up much space compared to a conventional PA with monitors.

My Yamaha MS60S speakers are over 20 years old...they were pricey when new...but, I've needed nothing else since I bought them and they have paid for themselves many times over...plus they sound great for restaurant work.

For a long throw PA the Bose in stereo will easily do the bigger jobs, and I'm sure it will give me as much value over long term as the Yamaha MS60S have done.

I always say, "you ultimately play the speaker", so it had better be good.

Ian

#257285 - 02/25/09 09:16 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Talk about a return on a investment.....After 25 years of use, my Roland Cubes are still worth what I paid (dealer cost at the time.. )...and remember one true statement...."you don't lose a dime until you sell them"

The trouble with the Bose depreciation..most people start out paying the "list" price...Go back in 2 months and see how much a dealer wants to give you for the Bose..

Also $1,100 as stated foe depreciation of a pair of Bose..is too much for me to consider in a loss for 2-3 years use....My aim is always to break even when I sell off equipment after it has done it's job..

The Bose does all the things that most people mentioned..you can hear equally through out the room..clear vocal range, light package.etc...On the exaggerated side are the numbers again like all the companies are playing....and as loud as you scream it can....They can not handle the "dance" crowd..where the "conventional systems do...

Not a put down, but a realistic observation...

#257286 - 02/25/09 09:39 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Talk about a return on a investment.....After 25 years of use, my Roland Cubes are still worth what I paid (dealer cost at the time.. )...and remember one true statement...."you don't lose a dime until you sell them"

The trouble with the Bose depreciation..most people start out paying the "list" price...Go back in 2 months and see how much a dealer wants to give you for the Bose..

Also $1,100 as stated foe depreciation of a pair of Bose..is too much for me to consider in a loss for 2-3 years use....My aim is always to break even when I sell off equipment after it has done it's job..

The Bose does all the things that most people mentioned..you can hear equally through out the room..clear vocal range, light package.etc...On the exaggerated side are the numbers again like all the companies are playing....and as loud as you scream it can....They can not handle the "dance" crowd..where the "conventional systems do...

Not a put down, but a realistic observation...

A Dealer wont give $1500 for a $5000 Taylor/

25% of retail MSRP is the norm for trade ins. Anyone trading in MI gear at a Music Store is not very smart, especially something in demand with a active used market. High end gear is usually a bargain and in demand.

If one is talking RAP and Sub frequency dance music, nothing less than an 18" SUb will do the best job. A Bose System can easily suffice for pop top 40. ballroom or whatever dancing...Especially adding another $300 Sub.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#257287 - 02/25/09 10:01 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

lets not forget all the Thousands you made giging with the gear............so you never really LOSE anything on you initial investment

#257288 - 02/25/09 10:01 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"If one is talking RAP and Sub frequency dance music, nothing less than an 18" SUb will do the best job. A Bose System can easily suffice for pop top 40. ballroom or whatever dancing...Especially adding another $300 Sub. "

I have to disagree with you here....

We play 50's thru 70's music..the 60 's and 70's include a lot of "dance music"..that is not rap..

We play outside boardwalk jobs to virtually thousands of people...There is simply no way the Bose system with two or many more subs will compete with the Yorkville system we use...conventional systems like the Yorkvilles are made to feel the thump in your chest...that gets the dancers going...and the shear volume power is there...it also carries several blocks away...

In a controlled environment, yes the Bose perform great, but don't tell me they will ..as Gary says.."blow out the windows"..

BTW: the above scenario has been compared at the boardwalk gig...all the people involved with the project and the local spectators..all confirm..the two sound systems are far apart in the "big" sound department..Even the "Bose" band reluctantly say so...

It is sorta like me saying the 802's can bang with the Yorkvilles in an outdoor venue..

BTW: the cost of the Yorkville system was less than a Bose with 2 subs...

We should really compare apples with oranges when it counts...not necessarily comparing name brands to unknown brands...

#257289 - 02/25/09 10:12 AM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

I can attest to the Yorkvile system Fran's group uses.....simply AWESOME on stage!!
http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp

Page 12 of 53 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online