SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#257030 - 02/24/09 07:47 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good post, Richard. Thanks for keeping it civil!

There really IS a lot about the MS that I find attractive, the price is right, it's a great keyboard. I just happen to think it's not a great arranger...

This might appear to be one of those 'is the glass half empty, or is the glass half full?' things, but to be honest, from some people here it seems to be that they keep ramming 'the glass is completely full' down my throat, no matter HOW obvious that the level is down quite a bit

If I was looking to buy a Neko, then yes, the MS would seem to be a GREAT alternative, advanced in many ways. Trouble is, I'm looking to buy an ARRANGER, that also does VSTi's, and I have neither the money, nor a strong enough back for the Wersi's And a reluctance to use something that service and replacement is nearly a continent away...

See, my priority is arranger FIRST, VSTi's second. Not the other way around...

#257031 - 02/24/09 07:55 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Hey Spalding,

I understand your point, and I’m sure the Mediastation may seem a little daunting to read about without the opportunity to actually put your hands on one. I don’t mean to play down what is involved in adding vst’s to the Mediastation, so I’ll just outline the process.

Step one would be to get the software to the MSX through either a direct download from the internet, or by inserting a CD, DVD, or USB Stick Drive containing the software. A browser window will open showing the drive and its contents.

Step two, right click on the install file and choose ‘open with Wine’. Follow the installation instructions for whatever Virtual Instrument you are installing.

The Last step is to move the vst file of the new software (ending with .dll) to the Mediastation’s Vst Library Folder. You’re done. The new Virtual Instrument is now ready to be played in either the whole or combi mode. I think you’ll agree that the process is rather straight forward and that is not an oversimplification.

Dominik used the software programmers you referred to for integration of features into the OS not for installing Vst’s.

Please understand I’m not trying to sale anything, Domenik doesn’t pay me a comission. I don’t think that the MSX is for everyone, but the tight integration of computer with keyboard and all its controllers makes it very appealing to some.

Richard

#257032 - 02/24/09 08:40 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Diki,

I understand your position and the priorities that you listed. I also know that everyone has different things they are looking for in their keyboards and this being an arranger forum, well arranger features are pretty high on the list.

I've stated for a long time that having a complete polished set of styles was not the Mediastation's strength. This is no secret, I've said the same to Domink before. I think that it is the area that has the most room for improvement on the MSX.

Maybe if Domenik had presented the Mediastation as a workstation that he was considering adding some arranger capabilities to, it would have been better received here earlier.

I know he gets overly enthusiastic and perhaps a little passionate at times defending his innovation, but you have to give him props for what he's accomplished.

Replacement being a continent away, you're absolutely right; but service? I would have to disagree. Domink is easily much more accessible than companies located in the USA. He's on yahoo almost all the time. Maybe the replacement of parts and stocking a few keyboards at a few key distribution points would improve his position on that front as well.

The glass isn't completely full, but its definitely not empty.
Since we've agreed that the MSX has its flaws, I hope you don't mind us sharing the advancements it is making without constantly rehashing the same old arguments against it. Who knows? one day it may become the perfect keyboard for you.

Hey Domenik, do you think you could consider adding a chord sequencer? LOL

Richard

#257033 - 02/24/09 08:54 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
but to be honest, from some people here it seems to be that they keep ramming 'the glass is completely full' down my throat, no matter HOW obvious that the level is down quite a bit

To be fair Diki, and as far as I can remember I don't think anyone has rammed anything down your throat, merely responded to your questions and criticisms (some valid some not).

Do you think I have done this in any of my posts?

Dennis

#257034 - 02/25/09 12:37 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Thats exactly the point i am making richard. If all you wanted was a machine to load software on then you would use a laptop ! its precisely the intergration of both existing and new software that makes the instrument a performance instrument. Thats why Dom had to use programmers to make the additional functionality as asccessible and usable as possible FOR MUSICIANS. If that is not important in the future then you dont need the MS.

#257035 - 02/25/09 05:25 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
Thats exactly the point i am making richard. If all you wanted was a machine to load software on then you would use a laptop ! its precisely the intergration of both existing and new software that makes the instrument a performance instrument. Thats why Dom had to use programmers to make the additional functionality as asccessible and usable as possible FOR MUSICIANS. If that is not important in the future then you dont need the MS.

You've got it, the integration is the key. Some posts have said that if one wanted to use vst's they would simply use any PC along with their keyboard. While this is also an alternative, I don't think you can ever get the same level of integration as Domenik has already developed in the Mediastation. Its definitely the combination of the best that current music /audio software has to offer, integrated with the MSX OS, that is so unique.

As far as the future goes the standard audio formats that have already been integrated should carry us for some time to come. I believe that Steinberg set up the standards for both 'VST' and ASIO'. These 2 standards are already fully integrated into the Mediastation's OS.

So new Virtual Instruments coming out in the future could be easily added by anyone as long as the software conforms to the existing standards (ASIO & VST). If a new set of standards were to be adopted at some point in the future, and eventually it will probably happen, only then would it be necessary to have programming done to integrate the new standards.

Again, no keyboard can ever be truly "future proofed"; but I think the Mediastation is the most advanced step towards it that I have seen to date.

Richard

#257036 - 02/25/09 12:42 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Well...just for change the arguments...
MS OS 3.1 arrived right now at version 1500!
Richard saw our repository source code revision and can confirm.

More than 120 OS revision in less 15 days and full integrated now the Livestyler Network TCP special version on MS: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/qranger/qrangeryamaha.jpg
available on Ms pannel:
All the MS patterns keys with LED status
8 Sliders volumes track
8 Mute/Unmute tracks
Fade IN-Fade Out
Key Sync Start-Key Sync Stop
start key, Stop key
One finger mode, fingered mode, manual mode.
Chords names forward to MS display
Patterns forward to MS display
Support for: *.sty, *.prs, *.sst styles
and the all other small features around...

Norbert have now to fix the multiple WineASIO driver on Live Styler, for loading internally the embedded VST and then we are ready to release this new OS.

Last news:
arrived the 3800Mb DVD with the new XG GIGA V3 soundbank!
We will mapping now the all new giga sounds on the right MSB, LSB, PRG and then is ready to release for FREE for the all MS.

#257037 - 02/25/09 12:55 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Excellent news Dom .

Can't wait to load it up.

Dennis

#257038 - 02/25/09 06:21 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dom,
OK, so we have:
Intros
Vars
Endings
All breaks
Fills

8 tracks on/off

Solo presets

All from MS panel???

Also, what about the many options in LS to control many things via MIDI...can MS be setup / programmed to do some of those too? It is called key control in LS.???

Thanks,
Lee

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online