SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#257010 - 02/21/09 01:48 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One other point... 'The Last Keyboard Ever'.

Yes, you can even swap out motherboards and CPU's... BUT....

This is kind of like the fact that you can swap out motherboards and CPU's on computers as well. But how few of us have managed to get say a ten year old computer up to completely modern specs? Have you noticed how often motherboard designs change? Let alone chip socket configurations?

You can MAYBE shoehorn a modern processor into an older case and peripherals, but only back to a certain point. After that, you basically have to go and strip out everything, and just HOPE the new componentry will fit the slots, etc..

I am afraid that, in expecting this to be the 'last' keyboard, you haven't really taken a look around at what happens in the computer world... sure you can upgrade and upgrade, but about every ten or so years, the entire innards need replacing, whereupon it is usually cheaper to replace the whole thing. Newer motherboards, entirely newer buss systems, and I/O subsystems generally mean that after a certain time, a computer (and by extension, the MS) CAN'T be upgraded to modern day standards.

And why would you need this? Because OS requirements generally mean the latest OS can only be run on the latest hardware. Try running Vista on a ten year old PC. Try running OSX on a ten year old Mac. Sure, you MIGHT make them work. And if you swap out the motherboard and CPU, you MIGHT get them faster. But all the other componentry will still be old tech.

It's the reason why none of us have twenty year old computers with today's motherboard and CPU sitting in them. Shelf life for computer subsystems is not that long.

Why should this bother you? Because, on the whole, most VSTi designers design for the latest OS and the latest CPU's and buss capabilities. Several of the better VSTi's won't even RUN in their latest upgrade version on the CPU's and OS's they were originally designed for. Bugfixes don't always (in fact, rarely) get ported back to the original hardware specs the first version came out on. Computer software VSTi designers (all the people outside of Dom's control) generally assume that you CAN upgrade your computer, but that, eventually, you WILL buy a brand new one with all the latest doodads.

So, once we move past Core Duos, etc., and the computing industry (and the VSTi designers) moves on to the next big change, and especially the next big change after that, you'll find yourself in the same position as someone that owns say a Pentium 1 computer. Short of stripping it down to a bare case and replacing EVERYTHING (if that is even possible), your upgrade path will STOP. Dead.

Maybe the recession will slow things down for a while, but there are VSTi's out now that won't run on three year old hardware. There are VSTi's out that will only run on the latest OS and CPU's. And in three years time, there will be amazing new VSTi's out that won't run on anything out today...

The software world moves along very fast. Hopefully, your MS can keep up with it for quite a while, but expecting infinite upgradeability isn't, IMO, realistic.

#257011 - 02/21/09 02:57 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
On this point I agree with you Diki..CPU hardware and OS continue moves really fast and every time when the PC hrdware change need a lot of new drivers updates.

Fortunally on MS side we take the open system without make the mistake as made Korg with the Oasys.
Of course, more grown the OS with new features based on new PC hardware, the same OS can not be used on old MS, like MS Frank have.

As you told before, OS like Vista can not work on pentium 1, need a recent PC hardware too, same is happen on our MS OS, before based on Linux Debian Etch and now ported on the new linux distribution Kubuntu.

So, for this old MS they have only to upgrade the standard ATX mainboard, CPU, DDR2 Ram and SATA2 HD, no more.
all the remain MS hardware remain the same, for this reason:

1) Mixer Audio system is based with the VIA Envy24-VT1712 ( like the Delta1010 and a lot of other PCI audio cards) and VIA will produce this chipset for another 12 years.
IF the PCI 32bit slot will be NOT available anymore, really soon you wil see available the new Lionstracs PCIexpress card, with integrated the TWO Envy24 and serial card too.
It mean that with only 1 PCIexpress slot we can running the same and whole MS system again, so..I we dont care if the PC mainboards continue move in better.
24bit DA system with 120dB dynamic system, up to 22 IN, 22 OUTS...I think are enough in one BOX keyboard, IF yu need more then is better that you buy one Digidesign protools Icon system that cost more than 100.000 USD.

2) PCI VGA LVDS card, based on Silicon motion chipset, available for another 8 years and this VGA embedded card is produced by my company and resell in the world to another 8 manufactures.
3) MS pannel are our emebedded boards too, with industrial chipset available for another 10 years.
4) MS software is OUR own aplication that can be recompiled to any new other OS distribution, under 32 or 64bit mode.
5) Standard Linux OS distribution with KDE support, where we only optimize some parts for Audio system and we add all our features, when this is not more available, we cahange it and we add again our application.
remember also that we do NOT need to contiune upgrade the hardware drivers when this are already working, we will use it for many years in our own OS distribution.

6) the new MS mainboard is the new Asrock K10N78-1394 that support the next AMD3 generation CPU, so, I think for some years we are covered.

So..I dont think that 80-100USD of new mainboard upgrade after 2-3 years is a big issue.
IF a old MS user will not follow on the new OS features compatible on new PC hardware, they can just stopping update OS and remain with the last working features.
Where is the problem?
I still see available and working a LOT of PSR9000, Tyros1, G-800/G1000....why there wil not upgrade on Tyros 3/4 or roland G-70/80...?

So...from Lionstracs you pretend the full OS and hardware compatibility/support for the next 10 years, where from the others brand you have to put in the trash the all keyboards every 6-8 months...

When will be available the new Tyros 4..ask then yamaha to upgrade for free your tyros 2-3 too or just to upgrade the some new SA sounds, i really will see what they reply...

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257012 - 02/21/09 03:07 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Wrong again Diki

The new CPUs, Motherboards and components that are in the pipeline, will be even easier to fit in an open keyboard (And the next generation after that will be even easier still) then the present day ones, so your good to go for at least another 20 years. (And probably more)

Wersi OAS instruments have only needed two motherboard upgrades in the last 10 years, and the current ones are good to go for at least another 2 – 3 years, so don’t worry about Dennis.

Regards

Bill

#257013 - 02/21/09 03:08 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Loc: The World
. Sorry wrong thread

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257014 - 02/21/09 03:11 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
WOW!!!! Dennis...You talked me into buying another as a back up...

LOL...Now that post made me smile!

Dennis

#257015 - 02/21/09 03:12 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Miden,Upload MP3?

? Sorry Mr 9000, I don't understand the post...

Dennis

#257016 - 02/21/09 03:22 PM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Diki,
I have a pretty good idea of what I need, what I can do, what my musical knowledge is, what PC skills I have and what my long term goals are, I daresay probably a bit better than you do.

I know you have the best of intentions, truly, and I appreciate that, but if those things (that I mentioned above) ever become known to you, then I think your advice as per your post about VST's and whatever else would be something to take on-board.
Cheers,

Dennis

PS: There is no intended malice in this comment, just saying it as it is.

PPS: Edited to change the wording, same meaning, but to less critical syntax.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-21-2009).]

#257017 - 02/22/09 05:21 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Magica Alfa Offline

I wish you all the best with your new keyboard.

If you will need help I'm here. I can tell you that, we are every day bigger and bigger family, which wants to have keyboard for future.

MEDIASTATION is open for everyone and it is really possible to use it as all in one.
Here are so many modules, that it can be really interested for playing and using.

Best regards.

MAGICA ALFA

#257018 - 02/22/09 08:05 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
Bachus Offline

dont forget that with a fully based computer workstation inside.... You have full potential over all the computer power ever needed. Just run things on another computer and controll it from the MS over the network..

As long as the soundengine (hardware) and the software gets updated to communicate with the state of the art...

Yes.. this could very well be the last hardware keyboard you buy.......

http://keyszone.boards.net

#257019 - 02/22/09 11:06 AM Re: Just bought the Media Station
miden Offline

Thanks Magica, and to Bachus...Exactly!!

Cheers
Dennis

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online