SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#25630 - 06/13/00 09:13 AM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
pstares Offline

Loc: UK
Southern Comfort -

I agree with DRED: I don't know what your problem is, but congratulations on turning an otherwise high quality message board into a childish bickering match. I can't see anything wrong in any of Arvon's posts and even if there had said something you don't agree with, what's the point in bitching about it? surely everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

At the end of the day you just seem to be out to pick a fight, well congratulations you seem to have done just that. Now can we please get back to discussing something a bit more productive?

Dred -

I took a look at that BUZZ software you've mentioned and was very impressed. I still stick by my earlier comment that it's of little use with a seperate synth such as the XP30, but it does manage to produce some very nice sounds none the less. Now if they could just implement better midi support... :-)

Pete

[This message has been edited by pstares (edited 06-13-2000).]

#25631 - 06/13/00 10:21 AM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Southern-

I enjoying reading discussions about synths. I also liked the 1080 and xp-50, and may still get one someday. I have no interest in the new Xv's.

#25632 - 06/13/00 11:40 PM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
Southern Comfort Offline

Pstares...

Thanks for your preach...but no more lip service..

Arvon45...

Thinking about getting jv1080 or xp50 someday?
I thought you would use those jv/xp mp3 files.

#25633 - 06/14/00 09:50 PM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
YMH Offline

Loc: Cannada
Is XV5080 still a good choice if I wanna make some techno, dance music? or should I get some analouge synth (which is unbelieveable expensive ie.Supernova Nordlead ) ?
ps. I need rackmount only... so,sorry for Trition...

Besides, since 5080 is "sample playback" only, won't that make more sense to buy 3080 plus a used sampler???

THANKX

[This message has been edited by YMH (edited 06-14-2000).]

#25634 - 06/15/00 02:20 AM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
pstares Offline

Loc: UK
Any of the synths you mention should do dance music reasonably well, though from what I've heard the Korgs tend to be better at the modern synth-type sounds used in dance music than the Rolands, which generally have the edge on acoustic instrument sounds. Have you considered the Trinity Rack, or if the Supernova's too expensive, how about the Nova?

Bearing in mind, here in the UK at least, for the cost of an XV5080 you could just about buy a Roland JV1080, Novation Nova AND a Korg TR-Rack which would give you much more flexibility than the XV5080 if you don't need the sampler.

[This message has been edited by pstares (edited 06-15-2000).]

#25635 - 06/15/00 02:57 AM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
YMH:

What synthesizers are readily available to you where you live? Just wondering if your choices are limited.

I don't know if I would necessarily agree that Korgs are better than Rolands for making electronic music. The Korg presets may be more "synthy" than the Rolands, but that's only thing more ~electronic or "techno" about the Korgs. Especially with the Vintage Synth expansion board, the JV/XP/XV synths, with their fairly sophisticated programming capabilities, are well-suited to make the fat basses and warm pads, emulate the TB and TR sounds, sync the LFOs, and do the filter sweeps you often hear in electronic music.

Are you able to hear each synth you're considering before you buy it? Make sure the synth you buy suits your "sonic taste". Just in this thread, I know that Matte and myself like the recent Roland synths and don't care for the newest Korg workstation, while Arvon45 loves his new Korg and has some issues [eh, Arvon? ] with Roland. It's all highly subjective.

As for AIDS (Analog Imitating Digital Synthesizer[s]), your choices under $1300 (here in USA) are vast. I can think of about 15 different models of these synths that would make you happy...

#25636 - 06/15/00 10:43 AM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
YMH Offline

Loc: Cannada
Thanks pstares, Wilkes

To be honest, I "ONLY" own Korg X2 for 6 years and now I'm looking for my 2nd synth which can supply more "electric" feelings.

About TR Rack, I tried that one before (but not throughout though),I felt kind of "cold" about its PCM waveforms(maybe "cold" is just the definition of electric music???).But for sure I'll try TR Rack again since I've heard so many pros...

It seems that JV/xp/XV series have more expansion capability than Korg's products (i think),and that's why I'm considering Roland as my 2nd synth....

Refering to "AIDS" (it's an interesting name!!!),I like their warm sounds,however most of them don't have enough polyphony as my 2nd synth .It may be enough for a lead or synth bass, but I think I need some "body" first and then some lead voices,am I right?

[This message has been edited by YMH (edited 06-15-2000).]

#25637 - 06/15/00 12:15 PM Re: Roland XP, Roland XV or Korg Trinity, Korg Triton?
Wilkes Offline

Loc: Wilkesboro, NC, USA
It's not virtual analog (an AIDS - I'll refrain from using the acronym...I was just trying to be cute, eh?), but the 30-voice Waldorf Microwave XT is under $1200 at most retailers and one occasionally pops up on eBay for $150 less. I'd say that one listen to the XT and a few turns of its knobs (virtual pots!) and you'll forget those Japanese synths!

Isn't the TR-Rack 32-note polyphonic, by the way?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online