SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#255923 - 02/07/09 05:53 PM Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
ytlevine Offline

I am thinking of starting to use samples on the computer either in addition or instead of the sounds on the keyboard. If I do, I may end up getting a MIDI controller instead. But first, I want to try the basics.
How do I identify a sound on the keyboard so the computer knows which sound to use when I select a sound?
Thanks!

#255924 - 02/07/09 06:09 PM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Lots of different controllers, lots of different software samplers, lots of different soundsets for them...

You might want to narrow it down a bit before you get a simple answer...

Some of them, the host software selects the sound, some of them respond to PC#'s, just like hardware, some are hybrid, some controllers can auto-map their controllers to software ones, some can't.

That's a big question you just asked!

#255925 - 02/07/09 06:30 PM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
ytlevine Offline

I want to be able to control it from the keyboard, I'm just not sure how to set it up.
If I do it that way, how do I do it?
Thanks!!

#255926 - 02/08/09 03:29 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You need to know the basics of Midi, to allow you to do what you require.

There are many articles on the web, so choose one that suits.

Just type “Midi Basics” into Google and you will find a selection to choose from.

Hope this helps

Bill

#255927 - 02/08/09 09:53 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
ytlevine Offline

I have read up already on a lot of midi info.
The one thing I need for now is to be able identify a voice on the keyboard so I can assign it on the computer to a specific sound, and I can change sounds from the keyboard, as opposed to having to do it on the computer.
Can anybody help?

#255928 - 02/08/09 10:13 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Many if not all VSTi Sample players like Dimension already have mapped samples. I send the MIDI style information from the T3 to SONAR then remap the sounds to a SW sampler or ToonTracks Drummer, or Garritain String Sets. In fact, my wife would rather make tracks and play the CDs on her gigs,rather then take the Arranger and be stuck with a single instrument sound set. The quality and choice of sounds using various sources is well worth the lack of flexibility playing back patterns or repeating choruses. Its all playback of pre recorded material right?

When the PC becomes taxed (or I'm too lazy to convert a Softsynth to an audio track) I then look for sounds on the Sonic Cell or Tyros I can use. SW synths are the bomb. Especially for the Drums. ToonTracks Superior Drummer is amazing.

I can and do use the Tyros for a Master keyboard. Its not all that hard as I thought in the beginning. YOu don't need a Midi controller unless you want one that controls your DAW which I am looking into now. Otherwise. The Tyros controls everything I need it to as a master keyboard for USE WITH A DAW. All the patch changes to other modules have to be done using the DAW not the Tyros...

I was using the RD700 but the wife is always taking it to a gig and leaving in the car or at the venue. I decided I will either buy another weighted controller that has DAW control surface capability and so far the CME is the only worthy choice. I am not familiar with them so I am a little hesitant.

The Roland Edirol PCR800 is great for Sonar but only 61 keys, dammit!!! I would jump all over even a 76 key model because Roland and Cakewalk are joined at the hip. The Daw control is flawless.

M-Audio has a great controller but is a chore to make work with Cakewalk. Yamaha is all about Cubase, enough said,

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-08-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255929 - 02/08/09 10:29 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
Beakybird Offline

OK, my question is I own EZDrummer. I play a midi on my keyboard and have the tracks in Sonar. When I have EZDrummer as the midi output on the drum track instead of my Yamaha, the drums sound horrible. They are not mapped right. How do I map the drums properly. Do I have to transpose? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

Beakybird

#255930 - 02/08/09 10:41 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
OK, my question is I own EZDrummer. I play a midi on my keyboard and have the tracks in Sonar. When I have EZDrummer as the midi output on the drum track instead of my Yamaha, the drums sound horrible. They are not mapped right. How do I map the drums properly. Do I have to transpose? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

Beakybird

You confused me when you said the drums SOUNDED "horrible" They sound the same except are not mapped correctly.....Ah XG

The MIDI output should be from your DAW sequence track to the plug in. Record the Drum information FROM the Yamaha to a track on SOnar. (I found using song mode is easier then trying to record Style MIDI) Create a Song from your style. Then send it to the tyros. You may have to set up a User MIDI map to send the tracks to your choice in Sonar. Sometimes you will have to use the transpose function to line up the voices as well in 12 step intervals. Cakewalk does not recognize the Octave button changes FROM the Tyros.

) Select the EZdrummer and set the OUTput from the Yamah track to EZdrummer's input. the MIDI files will play EZdrummers samples NOT the Yamahas.

You can still use the Master keyboard to enter Crashes and what ever as well. It will play the samples on the EZ drummer track.

Bottomline Yes you may have to transpose. Yamah is the Sony of the keyboard world. They want to do things THEIR WAY with XG. I would bet they mapped their drum sounds differently from GM just for fun.... Yes you may have to transpose to get the proper mapping but in 12 step intervals. I don;t think Yamaha was that egregious to make it less than 12 steps.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-08-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255931 - 02/09/09 11:17 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
Beakybird Offline

Cool, Kingfrog!!

Ok, so I'm going to transpose up or down 12 notes to see if I get a good sound. And yeah, the EZ Drummer sounds great, but it's mapped wrong.

Next question, let's say I'm doing a ballad. How can I get the drums to sound less aggressive?

How much better is superior drummer?

Beakybird

#255932 - 02/09/09 11:31 AM Re: Mapping sounds on a keyboard to samples on a computer
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
ytlevine,
YES, I can help...been there done that.

First off 'if' you want to use an arranger like I do to select sounds on other sound modules OR the sample players on a PC...get a Korg. Works super. All I have to do is select a registration (performance) and any sound I have setup in the performance will select via MIDI to the PC.

You can set ANY track (right hand, left hand or any style track) to EXTERNAL...key in any MIDI bank and program change to that track and save it...then when you call up that sound...bingo all good to go.

Also, the sliders send out all the MIDI CC's for volume changes per track as well so you can DYNAMICALLY change volume of the PC sounds as you play (or ahead of time).

Other arrangers may have this facility. Yamaha does not, and when I called support to see if they might add it, I was told I didn't need it. Go figure.

It is a fantastic feature.

Lee

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 02-09-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online