SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >
Topic Options
#255704 - 02/05/09 01:19 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
At least Mike got my reference correctly. Nedim. He was talking about the G70 and USB1. My reply was about the lack of need for USB2 on an arranger that has no sampler. Sorry if you read that wrong and went ballistic, but you MIGHT have remembered me asking about the speed of Akai sample load to the Audya's sampler, and also bemoaning the paltry 64MB (half of my ten year old K2500) RAM limit.

You REALLY need to use your memory a bit more before you start making wild accusations. This whole Audya thiong has got spread over two or three different threads. Read them ALL before you make quick ASSumptions, especially with perhaps not a perfect command of English....

To the genesys... Ketron, from Day 1 of the Audya's announcement (it may be hard to remember that far back ) have touted the audio loop feature as it's PRIMARY advantage. In fact, at first it WAS supposed to do several parts in audio at the same time. Reality must have crashed in on their dream, but there is NO WAY, no matter how hard you spin it, that the audio loops feature was ever supposed to be just an add-on to a standard arranger.

Of course, NOW, that appears to be how it has turned out, but if you look back at what Ketron announced, and STILL continue to promote as 'revolutionary'. In fact, here's their current promo blurb....
---------------------------------------------------------------

AUDYA
Advanced Music Station

The new KETRON state-of-the-art AUDYA represents the next generation of contemporary Entertainment keyboards, featuring a top-quality sound engine, a powerful Audio Multiplayer, revolutionary and unique solutions in the Auto Accompaniment industry, and the capability to interact with the outside world through multiple multimedia capability.
KETRON has once more raised the Arranger keyboard bar up to a long awaited hi-professional level, offering musicians the total freedom to play and control Audio files within the Arranger and Midifiles.

Intelligent Audio Drums

KETRON AUDYA introduces a very innovative concept used with Styles and Midi files : REAL AUDIO DRUMS synchronized under Midi sync tempo domain. Until now, robotic and redundant Midi Drums were the only ways to reproduce drum patterns. AUDYA delivers to you a Live Drummer performance which brings a new drive into the Automatic accompaniment section. Out with the old annoying Midi patterns – in with the new exhaustive Real Audio Drums at your fingertips!!
The Audio Drum tracks are used to play extra long Stereo takes with real Intros, Fills and Endings, all working on perfect sync with the conventional Midi resources and chording.
Figure this out – you can now cover all your background styles such as Pop, Rock, Ballad, Swing, Traditional, Latin with an unprecedent music taste of ‘live musicians’ and not pre-programmed sequence. Real drummers and percussionists did a great job for you ... and they’re still at your convenience, following your Tempo changes and improvisations. No longer will you be asked “which Drum Set did you use for this track”, but “which musician recorded this track for you?” ... Unbelievable!!

Real Audio Arranger

In addition to the Audio Drums, a huge variety of Real Live Guitars and Bass backgrounds have been provided within AUDYA. Folk, Classic, Electric and even Flamenco patterns, all performed by respecting the proper feel of each different type of music, and all perfectly synchronized with Drums and Bass!! With the Unplugged styles, you can enjoy the individual Guitar performances, a perfect tool for singing, performance and composition. The sensation of playing with a Real Band backing was never this true and exciting before. Just play any chord and listen!!
---------------------------------------------------------------

This does NOT make it sound like the audio loops are an afterthought, and I am afraid I had to laugh at the highlighted (my highlights) section. It should read "Just play a maj or a min chord, and listen! (don't play a dim or aug or sus, though...)!"

#255705 - 02/05/09 02:03 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
The Audya shouldn't make the price of a Tyros 3 or a top Korg PA look like TOTL arranger keyboards ANYONE can afford. It should be priced according to it's competition.

The SD5 sells for what $2,300+ This is a 61 key arranger that's 46 inches long, weighs nearly 35 lbs, uses old ass floppy disks for (song recording--come on even Yamaha stopped doing that with the PSR-2000), over $2,000 and the harmonizer is OPTIONAL.., uses a display that's not even comparable to the PSR-S700.., or even the PSR-3000. Ketron for some reason must have had a major dislike for data dials too which is clearly seen in their model line.., although Ketrons styles are nice.., you get what.., 128 preset styles on the SD5 and extra style expansion is OPTIONAL for a measly 2mbs. Plus isn't the poly only 64 notes???? In this price range 64 note poly is disgraceful.., geez even the PSR-3000 had 128 note poly. I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much money for this keyboard considering how outdated it's hardware is.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-05-2009).]

Squeak I wish you would say what you really mean !!

#255706 - 02/05/09 02:40 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I have to agree with Squeak about the pricing. I have always wondered why Ketron pricing was so high, but it never stopped me from buying one. I can't sell ketron short though, there sounds are great, if not top notch. I love my s900 but I miss those ketron drums, bass and sounds.

The pattern expan. helps a lot but if you have a HD you can also load styles from the HD to the user banks. The harmonizer is optional but after trying to tweak & tweak my harmonizer on the s900 to no aval, I'll gladly pay for a ketron harmonizer.

I know that everyone tastes are different, but when you have a ketron sd5 pumping through a sound system, it sounds amazing.
I'm thinking of a SD3 with my S900 in the future.

#255707 - 02/06/09 12:10 AM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
On the pricing i agree with everyone, it just doesnt cut it.
An SD5 is more then a PA800 and it doesnt even deliver half of the PA800...
its very funny.

#255708 - 02/06/09 07:34 AM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I sure that the Pa800 has more features than the SD5 but for me, I find that the SD5 sounds and styles are much better than Korg. But I think Korg is a great board also.

#255709 - 02/06/09 08:22 AM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Nedim Offline

Ketron of course is wayyy punchier on a PA system then any Korg and comes out better
but Korg is up with time, Ketron system is still designed by Hitlers scientists.
Thats what i meant:
Sampling, GTR Mode, Voice Editing, FX,
Event Editor...everything lacks on Ketron.
Please dont tell me you can edit voice and
there is FX on Ketron...

#255710 - 02/06/09 10:25 AM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nedim is right about the areas he mentioned where Ketron is lacking. Ketron makes some nice sounding gear, but you're paying a hell of a lot of money for sounds and styles because in many other areas the boards don't match the competition, but they cost more.

Let's be realistic here. How much longer can Ketron go on with such high prices? We've seen a couple makers fall (one more recently). The economy is to shit right now. How many times have we seen Wersi's bottom fall out over the years???

It would be one thing if Ketron was making these units that not only sound great, but at least matched or beat the competition in the other areas where they're clearly lacking. Sure they got these new audio type styles (which clearly haven't been all they've been hyped upped to be as we've seen already here by some who have played it)..., but take away the sounds/styles and look at FEATURES. What do you see in practical features on the Ketron that makes it better than a Tyros 3 or a high end Korg PA model? You take away Ketrons styles and sounds and really start to compare the guts and well....., you get where I'm going with this.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#255711 - 02/06/09 12:16 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
unfortunately i fear you are right Squeak. The fact that it took Ketron almost 3 years to bring out the Audya after it had been announced and (if Nedim is correct it still is not complete) is a concern about future updates and support for such an expensive purchase. But dont get me wrong, i wish Ketron much success with this instrument. This is a brand new move forward in arranger keyboards .

#255712 - 02/06/09 12:41 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Nedim Offline

Yes Spalding, is not complete, i didnt wanna say anything earlier but since KetronUsa
already said it i can say it now too, AUDYA
wont be available till at least March-April
as a full completed synth, maybe not even released, thats why i kept going back and forth with Lee.

#255713 - 02/06/09 01:32 PM Re: My thoughts on Audya after today.
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
AUDYA
wont be available till at least March-April
as a full completed synth,

or way beyond...

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online