SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255282 - 01/31/09 04:03 PM PA Upgrade
shim Offline

Loc: USA
I currently have a stagepass 300 and would like to upgrade it for a louder sound and heavier sound, (also for a bigger hall)

What would you guys suggest?

Currently, i'm looking on this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=s%3Ajbl_eon500&go=Go%21

Thank you

#255283 - 01/31/09 04:32 PM Re: PA Upgrade
shim Offline

Would two srm450's v2 do good?
And does it need a subwoofer?

#255284 - 01/31/09 05:36 PM Re: PA Upgrade
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's a pretty good choice there...

Smaller gigs you might not need the sub, bigger ones add it in...

Alternatively, if you think you want the sub all the time, you MIGHT look at Mackie's 10" SRM. They'll be lighter and cheaper and the sub will make them sound a LOT bigger...

Just a thought.

#255285 - 01/31/09 07:54 PM Re: PA Upgrade
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by shim:
Would two srm450's v2 do good?
And does it need a subwoofer?

+1 Mackies...I don;t think you would need a SB with the 450s unless you do a lot of Dance music. People who dance are accustomed to deep loud chest ripping BASS.

For vocals and Pop Music IMHO they are fine.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#255286 - 02/01/09 04:35 AM Re: PA Upgrade
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
For a few hundred more you could have a Bose L1 system.

I've tried many different PA's and recently moved to the Bose L1 and I could not be more pleased.

Just last night, my quartet played in a large banquet hall for a private business association. We ran my Tyros2, bass, drums, sax and all vocals through a small Yamaha box mixer then ran line outputs into the Bose.

After the gig was over, the client told us that we never sounded better and that he heard compliments all night on how clear and clean everything sounded.

Dance floor was packed all night, and a few others also commented how great we sounded.

Likewise, we are in love with how we sound now...

I use the L1 model with one sub...

I think the guys would cry if I told them we were going back to the old traditional system.

Also, tear down for the band with the traditional system, was usually 35-40 minutes.

Last night we stopped played at 11:00pm, by 11:20pm we were all back on the road heading for home.

With a no questions asked, 45 day full refund period to try it out, I'd strongly suggest you give the Bose a listen.

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255287 - 02/01/09 04:44 AM Re: PA Upgrade
shim Offline

Bill, I appreciate your suggestion, but if I am spending that much money, I'd rather go with "traditional" speakers...

#255288 - 02/01/09 04:49 AM Re: PA Upgrade
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill, I appreciate your suggestion, but if I am spending that much money, I'd rather go with "traditional" speakers...

Why?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255289 - 02/01/09 04:55 AM Re: PA Upgrade
shim Offline

Because this Bose thing seems a bit of a weird kind of speaker system and is not the standard in my area... Don't know if it will suite my needs (and also be loud enough...)Thank you anyway though.

#255290 - 02/01/09 05:04 AM Re: PA Upgrade
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Because this Bose thing seems a bit of a weird kind of speaker system and is not the standard in my area... Don't know if it will suite my needs (and also be loud enough...)Thank you anyway though.

It's not the standard anywhere...

Its not "weird," its just something that most people haven't seen first hand. You could say the same thing about Arranger keyboards a few years ago, eh? Were they right? Of course not.

Its 500 watts of power, so if you need more than that, then God bless you...

Can you tell us more about your kind of music, how often you perform, what kind of venues, etc?

I'm not saying its the correct choice, I'm just saying to reject it because its "weird" and "not the standard" PA in your area sounds to me, a little misguided.

The best decisions are the most informed ones and we usually benefit from taking an objective look at our options.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255291 - 02/01/09 07:14 AM Re: PA Upgrade
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Shim,

I have to agree with Bill. The L1, however, is 750-watts RMS (1,500-watts peak) power with a single sub woofer. The Mackies are good speakers, but they're heavy, and need to be placed on poles (stands) for the larger jobs. The L1 is relatively lightweight, does not need stands, and will handle pretty much any OMB, duo, trio etc.. venue with audiences to 1,000 or less.

As for tradition, the L1, which is a vertical array system, has been around for longer than most folks realize. You're hearing them in churches, theaters, large banquet halls and lots of other places. Many, many years ago I installed vertical arrays for Executone Corporation. The vast majority of them were installed in churches and movie theaters, locations where they wanted the audiences to hear the same volume throughout the room. Executone had several systems available, many of which were custom made to fit right in with the interior decor. In churches they were in the form of a curved wooden beam that fit into each corner of the church's main hall. You had to really look closely to tell they were speaker cabinets with 8 to 12 speakers within each enclosure.

More recently, many manufacturers of traditional sound systems have jumped on the vertical array band wagon. This was evidenced at the last NAAM show. Hopefully, George Kay will jump in here and provide some more detailed information on the new systems.

One thing to keep in mind. Peavey, Mackey, Yamaha, Roland, and most others will not give you 45-days to play their system, then allow you to return it with no questions asked. Bose will! The ultimate decision is, obviously, yours, however, you may want to reconsider checking out the Bose L1. I've been using it for nearly three years and I would never go back to a conventional system.

Good Luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online