SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255037 - 01/29/09 06:43 PM Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Beakybird Offline

Remember I said that I was going to pursue my dream of being a professional songwriter?
www.myspace.com/larrylevin

I uploaded three songs. The first song I can't remember what PSR-S900 style I used. I erased everything but the bass and the drums.

The second song I use BritPopSwing.

The third song I use Epic Ballad.

I am using a TC Helicon Harmony M for most harmonies.

I do all singing, acoustic guitar, and electric guitars.

I would love to get feedback! I'm not thin-skinned.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 01-29-2009).]

#255038 - 01/29/09 11:22 PM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Well, WOW, Beakybird. That was pretty nice. It really sounded fresh to me. The freshest thing I've heard on SZ come to think about it. And knowing you're doing this on a S900 rather than a live band is really amazing to me. Great recording technique.

Nice tunes. I'm thinking you are heavily influence by the Beatles? Nice vocals, harmonies. Interesting music.

Are you saying you are playing real acoustic and electric guitars or on the 900?

It's great to finally hear you and be blown away at the same time

Scott

#255039 - 01/30/09 04:59 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Beakybird Offline

Great recording technique.

Thanks Scott! I'm using Cakewalk Sonar 7

Nice tunes. I'm thinking you are heavily influence by the Beatles? Nice vocals, harmonies. Interesting music.

Very heavily influenced by the Beatles. I really wished that they kept on going. A few of my songs like, Sweet Purple Dream are an attempt to fulfill that wish. With that song, I might be going a little too far, but it is cute.

Are you saying you are playing real acoustic and electric guitars or on the 900?

Both. On Sweet Purple Dream, all I did was the double solo on a real electric guitar using amp and effect plugins.

On Scuba Dive, I did nylon guitar and slow distorted picking with the S900. I played my handmade Yamaha LL400 acoustic on the chorus. I did the solo with a real electric guitar using amp and effect plugins.

I just put my songs on trackspin.com for sale.

I'm 46 years old now, and I don't know if it is realistic for me to pursue a recording career. Maybe some folks who are younger, more handsome than me, and with a better voice can do them, and I can stay home.

Beakybird

#255040 - 01/30/09 08:06 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Nice job, Ringo!

Seriously, very enjoyable...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#255041 - 01/30/09 08:54 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Dnj Offline

Beaky...

After following the links to trackspin.com I just listened to your songs....thanks for posting. If I'm being honest I felt alot of heart in your recordings but in no way are they ready for commercial use or for sale at this time. I dont know if the others are just being nice but you did ask for opinions of being a song writer....the music is seriously Yamaha style arrangeresque but not too bad....but the singing needs much improvement, phrasing & your all over the place in pitch if you listen close. Levels need attention also.
But dont let this ruin your dream....just make it a stepping stone to bigger & better things....I'm sorry for being so blunt...but I feel if I dont say anything like many here try to sugar coat nothing can be improved upon dont you think? Good luck in your songwriting career.

#255042 - 01/30/09 10:17 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Beaky...

After following the links to trackspin.com I just listened to your songs....thanks for posting. If I'm being honest I felt alot of heart in your recordings but in no way are they ready for commercial use or for sale at this time. I dont know if the others are just being nice but you did ask for opinions of being a song writer....the music is seriously Yamaha style arrangeresque but not too bad....but the singing needs much improvement, phrasing & your all over the place in pitch if you listen close. Levels need attention also.
But dont let this ruin your dream....just make it a stepping stone to bigger & better things....I'm sorry for being so blunt...but I feel if I dont say anything like many here try to sugar coat nothing can be improved upon dont you think? Good luck in your songwriting career.

I agree that much more could be done in a real recording studio, and my musicianship could be improved upon.

I'm happy that I have received better responses from other people. This is what I heard from an old buddy who owns a major recording studio in NYC:

Hi Larry,

First of all I am very impressed with your production capabilities. Your mixes sound very good and your orchestration is excellent. As usual your lyric writing and performances are inspired and passion filled. Great work Larry!!.... keep em coming!

Sorry I had to be brutally honest!

J

Anyway, if you want to hear a commercial production of these songs, you will have to wait, but if someone really likes the song, I want people to have an opportunity to buy these songs on tunetracks.

I'm remembering Michael Penn did his first cd on an 8 track with a drum machine. He did that song, No Myth and a few others. That CD sold extremely well. I don't think I compare to Michael Penn, but I think I'm a little better than DNJ gives me credit for.

Nevertheless, I am truly grateful that he took the time to listen to my songs, and I think that the critique has a little bit of merit.

Beakybird

#255043 - 01/30/09 10:20 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Dnj Offline

Beaky.....
When you post on a public forum this is what you get....only thing I gave was my honest opinion as I listened....now lets see how many other will be truly honest as most wont even post a song here at all I give you credit for that..hey if you think its great .....then it's great!!

I wish you all the luck in the world....
go for your dreams. Keep us posted on your experiences.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-30-2009).]

#255044 - 01/30/09 10:33 AM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Beakybird Offline

DNJ, your critique is a gift. You were gracious enough to take the time to listen to my songs, and I appreciate it.

Beakybird

#255045 - 01/30/09 12:31 PM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
To keep it short, sweet and positive regarding my post, I am not just being nice, sugar coating anything and I am being truly honest.

This is the way it struck me. I found it very pleasant to listen to. This is a subjective thing, my opinion and no one should assume anything contrary to what I have stated as you know what the letters of the word assume stand for

#255046 - 01/30/09 01:10 PM Re: Please listen to my original songs on myspace
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
DNJ, your critique is a gift. You were gracious enough to take the time to listen to my songs, and I appreciate it.

Beakybird

Larry....I wish you had emailed me the songs instead of a public posting first to avoid this kind of thing ....I would of loved to offer some of my experiences recording with you as a fellow working musician.....& my door is open to you anytime in the future if I can help you.. OK? I meant no disrespect to you with my honest reply.

d.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-30-2009).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online