SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >
Topic Options
#254613 - 01/27/09 03:38 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sad to see a Yamaha user and official demonstrator basically admit that 'home' users don't need a quality VH. It's kind of like admitting they don't need a quality arranger, either...

BTW, I NEVER put any EQ on my G70's piano sound. Perfection can't BE improved. And this, also, is the opinion of every studio producer I work for. I guess their ears aren't sharp enough to hear those mid range inconsistencies, too, eh, Ian?

How many studio releases are the S900 piano sound heard on? Because you'll hear the FantomX/G70 piano on a TON of tracks on the radio...

#254614 - 01/27/09 03:43 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yamaha's vocal harmonizer has not changed since its inception. It has never been good, and even with lots of fine tuning, it is marginal at best. Fortunately, I, and many other performers, use vocal harmonies sparingly. When we use them, however, we like to hear something that is relatively close to the human voice. Consequently, I switched to a stand-alone harmonizer when the Digitech Midi Vocalist became available about a decade ago. I then graduated to the VR, and more recently the TC Helicon Harmony-M, all of which are superior to any oboard harmonizer I've heard on ANY brand of keyboard. Yamaha's vocal processor is quite good, and provides users with lots of neat options. It's the harmonizer that is quite poor.

For those that I emailed the style to, you will hear a tremendous difference between the retuned style and the factory default style. I wish there was a way to do this globally on the keyboard, but alas this is not the case at this time. I anticipate that in the next few years we will see software updates that will provide more latitude in this area, which for the most part will improve the overall sound of many styles. Until then, it's a matter of tuning the styles until you get the results you wish to hear, then saving them as custom styles.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#254615 - 01/27/09 04:00 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Perhaps a call to Jørgen Sorenson could get this feature added via software? I have to admit, there are things I like to EQ on the G70 in the Makeup Tools (primarily the bass part, because I STILL haven't broke down and got an SRX-07!) that are the same every time.

A 'batch' processor, that can take every registration, style and SMF that uses a particular sound, or certain drums within a kit, and apply that EQ to ALL of them automatically would be a FANTASTIC piece of software...

#254616 - 01/27/09 04:19 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
It's kind of like admitting they don't need a quality arranger, either...

It's kinda like you putting words in my mouth, to be more accurate.

I didn't say anything of the sort.

Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church ? Captain what’s-his-name?

You really are violating your standards quicker than you can lower them.

Whatever the Roland piano is used for does not have anything to do with the uneven notes...they are there...you know it because you have tried the notes I mentioned in a previous post.

If you have any kind of ear, and you profess that you do, then you will admit there are uneven notes...different tones, and different decays.

If you don't, that's okay...but you will still have to live with the results anyway, and every time you play you will hear them and know how right I am.

Can the piano still be useful?

Sure it can...lots of real pianos suffer from the same issues...unless the regulation and voicing are completely perfect.

So keep defending if you like...I don't mind...it just keeps the topic out in the open where it will make other users try the same notes on their G70, and perhaps like you, they won't admit the discrepancies they hear, but my point will still be made regardless.

Faults I may have...being wrong is not one of them.

Ian

#254617 - 01/27/09 09:36 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I took Hank's S900 to the job tonight and played it. It's still a lot of bang for the buck, and so easy to use. Of course I had all my registrations and User styles saved.
My ears are too tired to listen to the recordings now, but I will tomorrow.
I will still not like the drum sounds though.
It's interesting that NOBODY noticed I had a different keyboard, even though there are at least 20 people who hear me every night.
DonM

#254618 - 01/28/09 01:09 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
It's kinda like you putting words in my mouth, to be more accurate.

I didn't say anything of the sort.

Faults I may have...being wrong is not one of them.

Ian

Kind of like you taking my quote about the S900 out of context, eh Ian?

Actually, it's kind of tough to put words in your mouth, as stuffed with bullsh*t as it always is... but I can't argue with this...

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Faults I may have...

Truer words were never said

#254619 - 01/28/09 02:34 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Actually, it's kind of tough to put words in your mouth, as stuffed with bullsh*t as it always is... but I can't argue with this...
Truer words were never said

Well Diki...it's just as I would expect from you...when you can't can't say anything clever or pertinent, you resort to profanity and personal insults.

Needing to use profanity is a sign of a lack of self discipline...and spewing insults is basically a sign of low-self esteem.

I hope you seek help for the above...and I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Now, about the G-70's piano....you obviously have found out that I'm right, else wise, why would you become so defensive and angry...I'm sorry if my discovery hit a nerve, but this revelation was long overdue, and a nice counterpoint to your less than charming and unfounded remarks about other people's instruments.

Now, you can take the discovery as a positive thing, and we can say Diki's piano has "character" because of it's defects, or you can continue with your profanity and insults and stay in your state of denial.

It's up to you, son.

Ian

#254620 - 01/28/09 03:29 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
BTW, I NEVER put any EQ on my G70's piano sound. Perfection can't BE improved.
How many studio releases are the S900 piano sound heard on? Because you'll hear the FantomX/G70 piano on a TON of tracks on the radio...

Well Diki, claiming something is "perfect" and "can't be improved" is just inviting a detailed inspection of said item, as everyone knows there is no such thing in reality.

Putting EQ on a piano with uneven notes in the middle will not correct the problem, Diki...I'm surprised a studio rat like yourself doesn't know this fact.

It's like having a mechanic who can't fix your brakes...so he makes your horn louder.

You must remember...I did not say the piano sounded "bad"...just "uneven in the middle"...and since you claim that it is used on a lot of recordings, then it must be still useful.

Imperfections give an instrument (or a person)"character".

If you spent some of your valuable time investigating the middle range, you have already discovered I am right...and although you will come to the grim realization that the sound is not "perfect" (as you claim), you can find solace in that it is perfect for your needs....much like my S900 is perfect for mine.

Ian

Tip: Be suspicious if you discover that your car mechanic has clean fingernails.

#254621 - 01/28/09 03:14 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Dnj Offline

The S900 sounds wonderful dont you think?.....what a great arranger.

#254622 - 01/28/09 05:21 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Crickets chirping....

But I suppose to a parade of one person, everybody looks in step...

Just find ONE other person, Ian, or give it up.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online