SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#254663 - 01/29/09 01:23 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ian..., practice what you preach man. You too wear your cap as a FANBOY. Didn't you also mention that this issue with the G's piano is mentioned on other forums? Outside of you and your friend..., please direct us to these posts. I frequent numerous keyboard forums and to date I have NEVER seen one complaint about the X piano being inconsistent. Now suddently YOU and one other persons opinion suddenly means it's true...???? I honestly think Diki said it best with this:

--------------------------------------------
I have a sneaky suspicion that Ian isn't aware that the G70 piano is a 4-way velocity split. Unless you hit each note in a scale at EXACTLY the same velocity, you are going to be comparing different sample velocity ranges, which will OF COURSE sound different. I honestly think the problem with inconsistency is in Ian's technique, not the piano sound.
--------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-29-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254664 - 01/29/09 01:56 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Ian..., practice what you preach man. You too wear your cap as a FANBOY. Didn't you also mention that this issue with the G's piano is mentioned on other forums? Outside of you and your friend..., please direct us to these posts.

Actually Squeak...it was you who mentioned it was being discussed elsewhere.

QUOTE]Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man it always brings a smile to my face to see this so called (everyone's talking about it-just not on the Zone) issue about Roland's pianos being inconsistent...,

[/QUOTE]

I won't mention the piano issue again after this post...but this whole thing has at least served a purpose, of a sort.

No one with a G70 will ever listen to the middle range of their piano the same way any more...they will become aware, just like I did when it was pointed out by my friend, that the samples are uneven and inconsistent...and once they hear it, it will always stand out time and time again.

Played in two handed piano mode, the G70's piano slips by without a hitch as the uneven middle is hidden by the other ranges...but...played as an arranger, the piano samples in the middle..where most of the melody will be played...will be far more obvious.

My only suggestion is to find a G70 and try the range I laid out in a previous post...try it and judge for yourself...all that you're basing your words on now is just sailboat fuel...do the deed and then I'll heed.

Ian

#254665 - 01/29/09 01:59 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

Ian.., that was a generalized statement. You took it too literally....

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-29-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254666 - 01/29/09 02:21 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Ian.., that was a generalized statement. You took it too literally....

Probably I did...without actually talking face to face with a person, it's sometimes hard to catch an exact meaning.

My bad.

#254667 - 01/29/09 02:31 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

No hard feelings.... I think a lot of things here get mistaken for that exact same reason.

#254668 - 01/29/09 02:56 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
No it isn't Diki...I was made aware of the uneven middle on the G70 by my visually impaired friend...so there is at least two of us that heard it.

I'm afraid asking Donny to try Fran's G70 was a bad idea, as they are friend's and Donny would get in trouble.

I should have realized it was putting Donny in a bad situation.

As far as anyone admitting the middle is uneven...I doubt any of the fanboys would say anything, why would they?

I can't even get you to admit it, and that would have been my only hope because you will at least criticize Roland...unlike Fran, who can't find his way past the Roland logo without turning into a raving Yamaha basher.

I won't mention it again.

Ian

Come on now!!!!

Donny won't get in trouble with me...I disagree with anyone ..even my friends when they are wrong or need to be shone the way...again..and again..

I actually don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues with Donny....Keyboards, politics, Religion, Food...and on and on...

As for me not looking pass the Roland logo...not true..Do a search and you will see I have owned many Roland products..I mentioned the good points and certainly the bad points...even to the point of why I sold them...

I owned a Fantom X6...was okay but never liked it (mostly because I thought arrangers were better boards)..I actually always preferred the GS Sound Canvas sounds...an example..the "scat" voice..no one tops it even today...
The JV/XV sounds are good, but many of the patches are not to my liking...(BTW: I am talking about Roland)

I have owned the JunoG and the GW-7..and I stated that both had a poor feel keybed to me...be it better than the competition..

I also put down the tone/style selection process on the GW-7 and EXR boards too..

I had negative comments on the VA-7 (bought three of them)...improved after the version2 model...

Gave my negatives on the SonicCell too..

All of the above I owned ..used, and sold..My 3 favorite arrangers as I have mentioned before...in this order are the G70,G1000, and Ketron X1...

I have also owned and sold an assortment of Yamaha products, that I made mention of my discontentment (keyfeel , bad drums primarily}..I even bought these in pairs (PSR2100's) ..I have owned many Yamaha, Ketron , Korg, Casio and Roland products that did not meet my requirements..

Just because it has a Roland logo on it...doesn't get it a passing grade from me....just like Yamaha, Korg, Ketron, and Casio...

I have never found anyone that owned a G70 that didn't think it was a great all around instrument...sure the complaints about weight, and the fact that they didn't want to learn how to use the features...

#254669 - 01/29/09 03:15 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
...unlike Fran, who can't find his way past the Roland logo without turning into a raving Yamaha basher.

Ian

You obviously missed the winky at the end of the above sentence.

Thanks for the enlightening response just the same.

Ian

#254670 - 01/29/09 06:07 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Trouble is, of course, there are MANY different pianos that Roland have in different keyboards, at varying levels of quality.

And if it will make you happy, Ian, I will admit that SOME of them are less than good. In fact, I'm sorry to say it, but I have YET to hear one as good as the G70/FantomX. I've played the FantomG... not as good. I've played the GW-8... not as good. RD700... not as good. RD700G... not as good.

They are all up at Purgatory Creek.

Roland got this one right. Can't say the same about the others. I don't like the 'Superior' piano on the E80, or the 'Natural' as much as the G70 GrandX.

I am not 'defending' Roland in general. Just this one. And NOT from any 'fanboy' perspective. You all KNOW I am the first and loudest to criticize any G70 issue that exists. Heck, there's a whole forum full of it! And generally, any critique of any value tends to have several people (in fact, hopefully a bunch) all saying the same thing. Now, it's quite easy to find critiques of the RD700G's pianos... some quite unflattering.

But exposes of the FantomX main battle pianos are few and far between.

This, I'm sorry to say, is still the opinion of a tiny, tiny minority. But if that is all it takes for anything to be a FACT, I guess you'll have to agree with my opinion that the S900 main piano is utter rubbish... As long as ONE person says it is so, by your reckoning, that makes it right

#254671 - 01/29/09 07:03 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Damned those drums sound good!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#254672 - 01/29/09 07:27 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: Am I the only one here that thinks the S900 drums (tweaked) are still just okay?

Don, the S900 is your weakest link....Your vocals and playing, especially guitar work are terrific....

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online