SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#254653 - 01/29/09 08:33 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Kurzweil has a great piano sound, but the instruments aren't handled by any dealer in my area, except on special order.

I'm not really comfortable in regards to how well they will be supported, service wise.

I want something really light...under 30 lbs with a decent graded hammer action, preferably with speakers...if the piano in the P85 was like the one in the CP-300, I'd be content.

Ian

#254654 - 01/29/09 09:22 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Dnj Offline

I told you the Drums sound great on the S900 what a fantatstic arranger......
94 posts so far....it will go down as one of Yamaha's all time classics....

Im so happy this didnt go off topic I could go for a Shrimp Po' Boy Now

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-29-2009).]

#254655 - 01/29/09 09:37 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
They're ok Donny.... Nothing really special IMO. I will say this.., my old trusty RS-70 has more velocity switching and way less compression than the S-900.

Yammies drums to me are too clean. Too much has been stripped out of the overall sound. I still say the drums sound like they took the entire kit apart and sampled each part by themselves rather than sample the kit as a whole to get a more LIVE sounding set.

To each his own though I will say the S-900 has some good orchestral sounds though... Would take Yammie in that area any day over Roland.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-29-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254656 - 01/29/09 09:44 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the S900 the past two nights, and will again tonight. The great thing is all those thousands of styles available.
I can live with the drums, only wish it had better rim shot.
Some of the newer styles have more interesting bass lines.
Sometimes the SA voices get it my way. I've been doing the bends and stuff my own way too long I guess.
I really like the piano, sax, strings, brass and guitars. Organs are o.k. for my limited use.
Where's my Audya?
DonM

#254657 - 01/29/09 10:28 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Dnj Offline

Don......I know you can make any arranger sound awesome....hope that Audya ain't to heavy & big for ya

But For me how can I argue with a Lightweight great sounding unit that makes mucho dineros night after night....there might be better for studio use but not for my stage work....for me, for now its a winner ....unless something not out yet can fulfill my personal requirements.I dont care what others say which is mostly bunk & not proven at all.....sorry but after all these silly Cha Cha Cha posts, non proven music posted examples, & everyday rhetoric BS Im forced to feel like that.....I go my own way with gear decisions, If I cant hear what ya got when you make a statement its null & void in my eyes....sorry.

Now I need some Shrimp & Grits to calm down

#254658 - 01/29/09 11:06 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just think, July will be two years after the introduction of the S900, so the new one will be announced at least. May not be ready by then though. S1000?
DonM

#254659 - 01/29/09 11:10 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

WOW....., I guess many here missed that post. Not too long ago there was a post about the possible new models AND a website posted here that showed TWO newer models to replace the S900 and S700 (really just small blurbs about them).

Based on that post the info said the 700 to be replaced by the 750.., and the 900 by the 950. Makes sense as the 500 was replaced by the 550 too. Damn.., I can't remember who posted it either. There was an actual website listed in that post too. I'll do a search and see if I can find it.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#254660 - 01/29/09 11:17 AM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
squeak_D Offline

Here's that post. I remember when I checked this site out.., there was a blurb about both the S750 and S950. Info was VERY limited and basically stated they were to be replacing current models. I think you had to click under the UK section. then just type in the search for S750 and S950. There was a blurb about BOTH of these models on this site when Trident posted this topic.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018985.html

#254661 - 01/29/09 12:40 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
This utter rubbish by Ian is a triumph of propaganda...

Before you even start arguing with him, first go to a G70 and PLAY THE BLOODY THING... and THEN come back and refute him from direct experience. Because, so far ONLY Ian has even admitted that they DO hear more than the inconsistencies that a real piano has (which the S900 will have also). You are ALL arguing with ONE man with a sole opinion. I can say the sun will come up in the West, it doesn't make it so. Until at least ONE person says he saw it too, what point is there in dignifying my blather? (Ian will quote this sentence all by itself to 'make his point'!)...

I have a sneaky suspicion that Ian isn't aware that the G70 piano is a 4-way velocity split. Unless you hit each note in a scale at EXACTLY the same velocity, you are going to be comparing different sample velocity ranges, which will OF COURSE sound different. I honestly think the problem with inconsistency is in Ian's technique, not the piano sound.

But first of all, before anyone starts arguing this point with Ian, I would suggest actually PLAYING ONE. Because, right now, unless you have done so, you are ALL talking out of your, well, you know what!

And an argument between two people who BOTH have no clue is a bit silly, isn't it...?

In the meantime, pop over to PurgatoryCreek.com, and listen to the FantomX Ultimate Grand file (it's the same as the G70). Now go and listen to the PSR S900 piano file.

The Emperor doesn't NEED any clothes. With a body like that

If that tack piano is YOUR idea of piano perfection, Ian, I don't see how you are in any position to criticize ANYTHING!

#254662 - 01/29/09 01:12 PM Re: S900 man those drums sound live....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
This utter rubbish by Ian is a triumph of propaganda...

No it isn't Diki...I was made aware of the uneven middle on the G70 by my visually impaired friend...so there is at least two of us that heard it.

I'm afraid asking Donny to try Fran's G70 was a bad idea, as they are friend's and Donny would get in trouble.

I should have realized it was putting Donny in a bad situation.

As far as anyone admitting the middle is uneven...I doubt any of the fanboys would say anything, why would they?

I can't even get you to admit it, and that would have been my only hope because you will at least criticize Roland...unlike Fran, who can't find his way past the Roland logo without turning into a raving Yamaha basher.

I won't mention it again.

Ian

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online