SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16 >
Topic Options
#253088 - 01/20/09 02:34 PM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I am glad that has finally been put to rest !!!
Way to go, Donny ...

t.

PS [b]DAMN
I wish I could have been there ...

[/B]

we are having a grand old time here In Shreveport.....I got another few things on my dream list out of the way.....For breakfast Don M took me to the best Po' Boy sandwich restaurant in town....OMG!!! I had hugh Deep Fried Shrimp Po'Boy sandwich...it was awesome, with about 20 big shrimp coated in a light seasoned batter on soft Home baked Long rolls with lettuce tomato & Remoulade Sauce YUMMMYYY!! Then off to big music store for some shopping & meeting some of Don's good friends all musicians....we proceeded after that to go setup for tonight's Gig at Ernest's Orleans restaurant where Don & myself will perform....after a few sound checks we took a break & now dream number two.......Susan Mason again didn't disappoint me and bought a Madi Gras "KINGS CAKE"... OMG!!!! it's soooo good I always wanted to try one!!....
Now were getting dressed for tonight and I'll have more to come after we have some Marinated Giant Crab Claws & Steaks at Ernest's then the jam begins on stage for the paying audience ........this here Jersey cowboy gonna kick some butt tonight!!

l8tr

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-20-2009).]

#253090 - 01/20/09 09:25 PM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just got home from one of the greatest nights of music that I ever had...OMG!!!!!

Too tired to post until I fly home tomorrow...

Stay tuned

I'm using DonM's computer btw,
DNJ

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-21-2009).]

#253091 - 01/21/09 03:17 AM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, I'm glad to see that when it came to eating healthy, you were strong enough to overcome your own willpower. Careful you don't get mistaken for Joey Defrancesco by the time you get back. Better start getting used to your new nickname.....Donny "Fats" Pesce .

Glad you enjoyed the local cuisine. I'll be going down there (NOLA) in the spring, so I'll be looking forward to it.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 01-21-2009).]

#253092 - 01/21/09 04:09 AM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny and DonM wow!!! You guys tore it up in the South. Wish I had been there.

#253093 - 01/21/09 05:24 AM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Well I', back in snow country. I sure had a great time at the jam. I must thank Don Mason and his lovely wife Susan. They are the greatest hosts in the world! They showed us an awesome time. It was a thrill for me to meet all of the people there and jam with them. I think Donny, Don and I could have played together for the rest of the week. I sure would have loved it. If you weren't there you missed something very special. I made some really good friends. I know I'll be running up the road to see Donny Pesce on a regular basis, and I'll have to go back to Shreveport to see Don at Ernest's. It was a great time and I thank you all.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#253094 - 01/21/09 08:20 AM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
And finally, for everyone that enjoyed the wonderful hospitality and food at the Shreveport Jam, there are four words to keep in mind "South Beach--Phase One." Yep, time to shed those pounds.

Sure wish I could have been there. Next year for sure.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#253095 - 01/21/09 08:45 AM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
leezone Offline

DIKI's question still remains unanswered...

i agree, BIG difference between "Recognizing" and actually PLAYING" the chords, (Diki referring to actual AUDIO grooves, not midi playing complex chords)

will the AUDYA's AUdio grooves play lets say a CMaj7+5, or Cm7 add11, C7+13, ???

AJ?

#253096 - 01/21/09 12:20 PM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I took Diki's suggestion and played a C6,9 chord on my G70. It played it just fine but the difference between that and a C6 were barely noticable by my trained ear. I also tried the Cmin(maj7)what an awful sounding chord. In the performance of a tune there wouldn't be one person in a thousand that would notice the difference between a C6 and a C6,9. Diki's original skepticism was about more normal chords like diminished, minor 7ths, 6ths, augmenteds, and such. When the report came out that the normal chords worked he had to change it. Including 6/9 chords and minor major 7ths is a real leap.

We've heard reports by some of our members who have been playing arrangers for years that the Audya sets the bar much higher than the current batch of arrangers.

If this is the greatest sounding arranger ever, a cut above the rest, I'm not going to pass it up just because it won't play a few of the more obscure chords that the audience wouldn't notice anywhy. What they will notice is the realism and great sound.

The question is moot.

Tom

Tom

#253097 - 01/21/09 12:51 PM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Moot to you...

Sorry, old boy, but you've never played a tune with a chromatic descending line over a minor chord? Cm - Cm(maj7) - Cm7 - Cm6?

Too weird?

And if YOU can't hear the difference between a C6 and a C6,9, that's fortunately not MY problem. I can. Many here can. And the chord is widely used.

But what is amusing is first I am criticized for not having played the thing before I talk about loop issues, small sampler sizes, things like that, and here you are, as far removed from a try as me, and you are definitively stating that it is good enough...

I guess that for YOU, trying it first is not needed for an opinion. It's just ME that shouldn't have one, eh?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-21-2009).]

#253098 - 01/21/09 01:09 PM Re: 09 Shreveport Arranger Jam!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And no, if you had bothered to read my posts more than just cursorily, you would have seen that I was NEVER in doubt about the basic chords. Yes, it has GOT to have maj, min, dim, and aug or it won't work AT ALL.

But all the extensions? My point all along has been that Yamaha's Mega voice technology, and Korg's Guitar modes are capable of VERY realistic guitar parts without forgoing the ability to play more complex chords. And all that is needed to make them even better is simply better samples (which may come out in future models, whereupon you can set these styles to use them). They are editable (should you want a slightly different picking or strumming pattern), and you can easily change the guitar sound for a different flavor to the same style.

Loops CANNOT do this. All they are is all they are. Initially VERY impressive, but unless you are the type that NEVER changes a ROM style, NEVER needs more styles than the ROM provides, and NEVER tries to create your own styles (Ketron have already acknowledged how difficult this is to do), I can imagine them tiring on you quite quickly.

If I were restricted to ONLY the ROM styles that came with my G70, I would be in trouble. What percentage of styles that YOU use are ROM? Unaltered? Unedited..? Now imagine that, unless you are willing to suffer a VERY noticeable drop in sound quality, that's all you could use...

Not a very appetizing prospect, is it..? This is why I have been saying all along that the commitment to a constant stream of new 'live loop' styles from Ketron is going to be essential. Of course, in these troubled economic times, what guarantee would we have that Ketron even survive, let alone toss us this bone with (as I have explained) little expectation of much return on their investment?

But go ahead and buy one... maybe from an owner, I will FINALLY get an unambiguous answer to my query...

How many different chord types and EXTENSIONS have been recorded, per style?

Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online