SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#252638 - 01/05/09 01:38 PM OT: Looking for flute info
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have a choir member whose 6th grade child has been taking flute lessons for a couple years now. They have been renting a flute from the local music store but are now interested in buying her a decent flute of her own. She asked for my advice - so I'm asking you.

What would be a good flute and a good price for a serious 13 yr old? New? Used? What should be looked for or avoided?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#252639 - 01/05/09 02:17 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Open or closed hole?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#252640 - 01/05/09 04:40 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Affordable and good quality;

Yamaha YFL 211

There's actually no compatitor in this price range..

For better quality you will have to spend thousands of dollars.

Fred

#252641 - 01/05/09 05:57 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
cassp Offline

Bill, I'll try to find out, but if it was for my child I'd probably go for the one with the hole. Do you agree. BTW, watch your mailbox.

#252642 - 01/05/09 06:44 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Cass-

Our middle daughter Brittany has played flute for several years in the high school concert & marching band. She's also studied for a little over two years. Usually, newer students will begin with a closed hole model then move up to an open hole flute after a few years. Her teacher would be able to recommend whether to go open hole or not.

Yamaha would be a very safe brand to go with...Go for nothing higher than an intermediate model. It will serve her well through jr. high and high school and perhaps into college. If she's playing seriously come college, then it'll be time to look at the thousand dollar flutes...

Good luck-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-05-2009).]

#252643 - 01/05/09 07:03 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
Not many folks here know I am a former Band Director and have had experience with a multitude of flutes from the $99.00 junker to the $10,000 rolls royce.

Whatever you do, buy a good quality instrument. Wind instruments are very unique in that a poor instrument makes learning that much harder. A great instrument will make it easier to produce a good sound as well as develop correct fingering techniques.

Another benefit in purchasing a good instrument is the resale value when the young player gives it up. I have included a link to one of the finest flute manufactures in the world. I have no idea how much they cost today - but when I was playing symponic work and studio gigs(30 + years ago) most of the better players played these flutes.

If the cost of the Haynes is to much than I would look for the upper line of the Yamaha flutes which also will hold their resale value.

Anyway, here is the link and good luck. By the way, spend some money on a great teacher - very much worth it. http://www.wmshaynes.com/

Good luck,
Hammer

#252644 - 01/05/09 07:09 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What would be a good flute and a good price for a serious 13 yr old? New? Used? What should be looked for or avoided?

The price – As much as you can afford within your means. He better the instrument is the better the chance for success.

New or used – It takes a knowledgeable person to buy a used instrument. Take the used flute to a pro to find your answer. When you but used you buy an instrument of better quality.

What should I look for – The appearance, if it looks good buy it with a return privilege. Then take it to a pro. You can not learn in a short time what a pro knows instinctively.

A close friend and fine sax/flute pro bought a flute made in China. (I think) He took the flute on a job – he said I don’t know how long the quality will last but it is good I feel it does the job well. I will call him and find where he bought it and the price. I’m guessing it was in the $120 area.

John C.

#252645 - 01/05/09 07:27 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
hammer Offline

Anyone needing a flute for a "serious" player of any age should contact the flute instructor at any major school of music. Not only will they provide great information but will generally have a line on some really great used flutes - instruments being sold by other serious players wishing to upgrade etc.. Another great source of valid information would be your local symphony.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen really good students held back with crap wind or reed instruments because someone decided to "give it a try" to see if the kid would take to it.

All this talk brings back a lot of great memories. Here in Texas high school bands were right up there with our high school football. Most of the top bands played music that would challange a lot of college bands. It was a real ball.

Final analysis I guess is - buy a good instrument and find a great teacher.

What part of the country are we talking about? I might actually know someone in the area if I knew where and I could send you contact info etc..

Hammer

Hammer

#252646 - 01/05/09 09:07 PM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
As an owner of a full line music store I would like to give my opinion of what type of flute to buy.
I also am a trumpet player and I believe my experience with trumpets also apply to flutes, saxes, clarinets, and other woodwind and brass instruments.
I have found that the good brands, such as Yamaha, provide students and pros with very good quality instruments, and buying the cheaper, usually made in China non-brand name instruments is usually a mistake.
Many of the Chinese instruments are made from lesser quality alloys and their plating is usually much poorer quality than a Yamaha.
Also, student model flutes are meant to be played by beginners and intermediate players because they are easier to play and easier to get a good sound out of. Most of the higher end flutes require more air and are also more fragile. The keys on a good student instrument are harder to bend where a pro flute, usually made of sterling silver rather than the student model being silver plate on a nickel body, are softer and their keys can go out of adjustment more quickly.
Also, many students enjoy playing in marching bands and the need for a good student model which doesn't cost as much will upset you less in case of a fall or drop.
Yamaha student model flutes had been made in Grand Rapids Michigan until last year when they closed this factory and are all now made in their Indonesia factory. The quality is still great but if you can find one made in the USA of parts imported from Japan, you can get a really good flute.
I hope this helps

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#252647 - 01/06/09 06:06 AM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
cassp Offline

"...What part of the country are we talking about? I might actually know someone in the area if I knew where and I could send you contact info etc.."

Hammer

Detroit area, southeast Michigan

#252648 - 01/06/09 08:10 AM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
hammer Offline

You got mail.
Hammer

#252649 - 01/06/09 10:47 AM Re: OT: Looking for flute info
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Check out Artley. My daughter played for 4 years, and has an Artley open hole I bought her when she needed to upgrade. I'll check with her. If she doesn't intend to use it, and your instructor says they're good, you can have it for $100.00, including freight. I think I paid 1300.00 for it. You'll need to locate the corks beginners use to plug the holes, but the instructor can do that. I'll even ship it to you for the instructors approval.

Of course, she may want to keep it, although she hasn't touched it in 5 years.

I'll check with her this week-end, if you'd like.

Good luck!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online