SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#252593 - 01/04/09 07:18 PM PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Beakybird Offline

I'm getting all kinds of echoing notes and crap. How do I set up my keyboard with Sonar. What settings do I need to do with Sonar and Cakewalk? Internal clock? Midi Channels, etc.?

Thanks

Beakybird

#252594 - 01/04/09 07:29 PM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You need to turn off the midi echo back/local off/thru settings..

#252595 - 01/04/09 08:13 PM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Beakybird Offline

OK. I turn off the midi echo on Sonar. I turn off local control of all parts on my PSR-S900. Then I don't hear anything on my keyboard through my kb speakers. When I record, I hear nothing during the recording, and then I hear a bunch of garbled crap during playback.

I don't see anything about a midi thru setting anywhere.

I am using the PSR-S900 usb midi cable. Under Midi Devices, Sonar shows Portatone-1 as midi input and Portatone-2 as midi output.

How can I record a Yamaha style and have it synced up with Cakewalk?

Beakybird

#252596 - 01/05/09 05:57 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Dnj Offline

Beaky what are you actually trying to do here....?

#252597 - 01/05/09 06:20 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Beakybird Offline

I got kb connected to computer via usb midi cable. Cakewalk recognizes my midi device.

What I am trying to do is to record a style progression. I would like to have it synced up with Cakewalk so that the measures line up.

I am upgrading from Sonar 2 to Sonar 8. Maybe when this is done, things will work better, but I'm afraid that I'll run into the same problem.

Beakybird

#252598 - 01/05/09 06:57 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

Did you install the driver in your PC that was supplied with the keyboard?

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252599 - 01/05/09 07:01 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Beakybird Offline

Yes I installed the midi driver. Sonar recognizes my midi device. I'm just having trouble with

1. Echo
2. No sound when I turn off local control on kb
3. What is the correct way to sync kb and Sonar?
4. Is there something I need to do so that Sonar receives sysex info from style?

Beakybird

#252600 - 01/05/09 07:38 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I'm using an older version of Sonar2 so I don't know if everything applies.

On the keyboard I selected: function/midi/keyboard & style/edit which opens the midi edit page.

Under the system tab all boxes are checked for Local Control.

I left the clock at default settings, which is Internal and under the transmit area it is set to Transmit Clock: Off

Everything else is left at default values as well.

I just recorded a short song segment and everything works fine.

In the program's Options area under MIDI Devices, I selected the Yamaha USB in-01 and Yamaha USB Out-01. However, you must deselect the MP-401 as well or there can be conflicts.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#252601 - 01/05/09 09:54 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Make sure you have the proper MIDI folder selected and set you tracks to receive what the Manual says. Right 1 Right 2 PAds 1-4 chrods rhy\

Each style has a specisif midi out put and Sonar has to be set to recieve on specific channels. I consider myself a MIDI GURU and still am figuring this one out.

So far I have all the style information able to get to their own tracks and play back through the keyboard. I don;t worry abou the echo because during the important part, playback it is not being looped back into Sonar.

Like I said MIDI implementation is terrible on these boards ( The "Accordians" in the MIDID screen are a hint of the HOME USER this keyboard is designed for.

But once you get the MIDI separated and the INS files (where you MUST use the seach function to find a voice) You should be fine.

Tryoa waa made to avoid the need editing SEQUENCES and just send the mixed audio from the keyboard to the recorder. In that reagrd THATS the way I should be using it. Nut old habits die HARD, Thats why I am looking to buy a module as well. If the module has anywhere close to the sounds of the Tyros I will use the Tyros for style creation and playback through a more conventional situation using a handful of the Tyros voices.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252602 - 01/05/09 11:55 AM Re: PSR-S900 and Sonar trouble
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have found that, in general, you get a far better, more accurate SMF from style recording by using your arranger's internal MIDI sequencer, then save it, transfer to the PC, and open it there for playback and assembly, editing, etc...

There's an AWFUL lot of data generated by modern arrangers, not just notes and controllers, but a lot of sys-ex too. Most computer sequencers don't like to see the sys-ex mixed in with regular notes (it upsets the timing a bit) but somehow the internal sequencers handle it just fine.

Give it a try, at least...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-05-2009).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online