SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#252493 - 01/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Is the bloom coming off the rose, Kingfrog?

I remember when you first got the T3, it was all 'this is going to be my 'arranger', just like Bacharach, or Nelson Riddle', or whoever you considered a great arranger in the human sense of the word.

Sadly, as you are beginning to find out (or already probably knew) a machine is no substitute for a talented arranger (and talented players). Sure, you can get close up to a point. But after that it gets harder and harder the further on towards true music you want to take it. If there WERE an arranger that could equal the efforts of talented teams of pros, with all their experience and creativity, you can be assured there wouldn't be a REAL arranger working today!

I'm curious, too... why a module? I would have thought, in a studio environment, that VSTi's are going to take you MUCH further along the road towards realism and expressiveness...

No the Rose is very much in Bloom. But only for NEW material. I have zero complaints and find plenty of usable styles that do all I need them to do and more in creation of new works. I bought the T3 for Styles. (An expensive Band in the Box) The voices are a bonus. All I need to get is "close" Its not like I'm going to get a record or songwriting deal. The T3 is close enough by itself. However....

The rose withers when I want to re record something I have already sequenced from years ago. Thats why I initially bought the Korg PA2x. I erroneously thought I would have the best of both worlds, a solid traditional workstation, AND an Arranger for inspiration for new songs. Sadly the latter did not offer the wealth of arrangements to choose from and my reason for buying an Arranger was severely limited. I may as well have purchased the M3. But I need "professional arrangements" (meaning anything better then I can do). The T3 has the largest support on that regard.

But as a "conventional" workstation where I can take previously recorded Sequences and pipe them through it's a PIA. I don;t know if you are familiar with Sonar, You don;t want to see the INS file for the T3....LOL Plus the better voices have "Mega" information I do not have recorded in my sequences. A workstation/module is built specifically for this purpose and in that regard a walk in the park to re-voice finished arrangements including the T3 Drum parts as well.

I do use VSTIs Dimension Pro, B2 and even Drums on Demand loops, but I don't have an M3M's worth nor will I get some of the Karma type Arps. Takes a lot of heat off the PC as well keeping the VSTIS to a minimum.

Then there's my wife who is not getting the whole VSTI thing and uses the T3 as a MIDI player to record parts for her live gigs to CD. A module would help her as well with her writing and recording as she is more hardware oriented than Software oriented.She still has an ESQ Mirage and TX7 in the attic she won;t part with.

Purchasing a module does not in any way diminish the T3 as a tool for creation of new songs. It actually enhances the process providing a different "voice" to a song. Three different Manufacturers voicings in an arrangement sounds better then using One VSTI Sampler or Hardware Brand which is why I'm leaning toward an M3M. We already have the Roland RD700 Piano as a controller, the T3 and a Korg M3M module would complete the Hardware "Trinity".

Besides I get this stuff at less than dealer cost directly from the reps, so why not take advantage while I have the opportunity to have a T3 and an M3M for less than a discounted T3?

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-07-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#252494 - 01/07/09 10:17 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... it doesn't really matter whether it's translated styles or translated MIDI's, working them so they sound as good on another piece of gear is a PITA.

There's something abut the SOUND of the sound that makes you play a certain way. Change the sound even just a little bit (an envelope release here, a filter to velocity parameter there) and you would have played the part a different way. So getting a different manufacturer's sound (or even the same one on a different product) to work on the file you created for a different keyboard is an exercise in futility...

But whether it is another module, another arranger, or some VSTi's, the problem is pretty much the same. A tough nut to crack

#252495 - 01/07/09 10:21 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Online   content

Yeah, Donny...

With my looks, I only WISH the audience would close their eyes while I play

Sadly, that doesn't happen (at least not until the tequila kicks in!), so I have to wow them with my playing (or at least try )...

#252496 - 01/07/09 08:10 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Yeah, Donny...
With my looks, I only WISH the audience would close their eyes while I play

Ok, Ok, I'll bring a bottle of "Patrone" when I come down to Destin...... btw, I love that hat Diki

#252497 - 01/08/09 12:00 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Diki Online   content

You play in 95º weather with 95% humidity... see if your hat holds up! (this would make it a FRIED chicken hat! )

Or your arranger! Everyone seems to like black arrangers... leave it in the sun out here, and it's melted in just a few minutes. And don't get me started about touch screens!

#252498 - 01/08/09 05:43 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
You play in 95º weather with 95% humidity... see if your hat holds up! (this would make it a FRIED chicken hat! )

#252499 - 01/08/09 07:17 AM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog,
Good idea to get the M3M. Great sounds with V2 and since it is easy to mount close to your board (with a littl custom work you could really have it convienent) you can use all the controls without having to try to MIDI control it, which the T3 will not do anyways.

If I had the funds, I would add a M3M to my Pa2.

I wish someone would write a program to convert Yamaha (especially tyros) styles to PA..that worked PERFECTLY. It could be done. EMC sure does not do it!

Really the only thing I am missing is the song specific styles from the vast Yamaha world. BUT, at this point I am not willing to give up all the great features of the PA to get them.

Lee

#252500 - 01/08/09 07:16 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I never really thought about it, but after reading these posts, I have to say that it is just the music itself, not who or what is playing it that pleases my senses. I do close my eyes when listening to music more than I realized. And now for some more personal analysis...................-charley

#252501 - 01/09/09 05:19 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lee,
me too.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a simple solution for converting Tyros to Korg
PERFECTLY. Notes can be converted ( even the fret & strum noises in the mega voice guitars) can be used with a rx guitar sound.

I find the hardest part is trying to get a drum track to match up. The sounds are different, the mapping to a certain extent is different, & the drum velocities differ. Unfortunately tweaking drums takes me far too much time, I'm lousy at it.

Even if I play a T series style on my PSR1500, it still seems to need a certain amount of tweaking.

Meanwhile I've got a bit of method behind my madness. If I'm looking for a style & not sure which ones are suitable, I do a quick conversion via EMC, then if I find a suitable one , (and EMC's messed it up,) I convert it manually via midi to style using OMB or XGWorks or a mix of both.

Actually be fascinated to know why some T3 styles are a hassle & supposedly won't work with OMB & XG works or earlier model PSR's without a conversion process.
Wondering if it's the new guitar setting, though from what I've read it's more to do with a note transposition setting function rather than something along the lines of Korgs Guitar Mode.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leeboy:
[B]

I wish someone would write a program to convert Yamaha (especially tyros) styles to PA..that worked PERFECTLY. It could be done. EMC sure does not do it!

Really the only thing I am missing is the song specific styles from the vast Yamaha world. BUT, at this point I am not willing to give up all the great features of the PA to get them.

Lee

best wishes
Rikki
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/PA800_StyleMaking/?yguid=69517899

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-09-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#252502 - 01/09/09 06:03 PM Re: Tyros 3 / Owners Post What U Think Of It So Far !
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Kingfrog,
Good idea to get the M3M. Great sounds with V2 and since it is easy to mount close to your board (with a littl custom work you could really have it convienent) you can use all the controls without having to try to MIDI control it, which the T3 will not do anyways.

If I had the funds, I would add a M3M to my Pa2.

Lee

I have a bid on one on Ebay.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-09-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online