SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252281 - 12/31/08 02:23 PM Re: Opinions sought...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm right there with you Ian... I've got no objection to making money

I simply feel that sometimes our enthusiasm for arrangers here at SZ occasionally blinds us to what we are doing. I read post after post from players that seem to indicate they think playing with an arranger IS 'playing music' at it's highest level, and all I can do is shake my head... Perhaps they have never had a band that made them feel like a musical God, or perhaps they chose to forget those older musical memories, in favor of memories about musical or business differences with these players (it's all too easy to focus on the negative, but what does that say about us as musicians, when personal differences outweigh a great musical contribution?).

But I honestly think that if anyone DOES think their arranger sounds better than any combo they have ever been in, they simply have not had the luck (or talent ) to play with others of that caliber. And I feel a little sorry for them. Until you DO play with the best, it MIGHT be possible to tell yourself that your arranger IS 'making music'. But once you do, only self-deception can make you still think that.

I LOVE money I HATE self-deception

I think we have the "2008 conceited post of the year" award winner...

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, Diki...

We can continue this discussion on a fresh thread, but let's try and keep this one for people's comments on my original post, ok?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#252282 - 12/31/08 02:41 PM Re: Opinions sought...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sometimes, broad strokes are what's called for....

Conceited? I wasn't trying to be. I honestly think that many members here have gone through the same thing. But all too often, we let ourselves get caught up in the technology, and forget that 'music' isn't really about little tiny snippets of repeated loops (unless you are into hiphop!), but about the conversation between humans with instruments in their hands.

After all, all of the music (or most of it, at least) that we are trying to play hasn't got ANY machines on it. We are trying to use machines to play music that was made by humans. That's an uphill battle, at best!

Sorry you think this has no place on YOUR thread... Funny, but I thought it was OUR forum (it's Nigel's, really ). And that these things are sort of conversations. Next time you have a conversation with your friends, when you get to the end of it, try to remember if that is still on where it started... Chances are, it isn't.

As a follow on to someone that questions continuing to use live players, or go to OMB completely, I thought that an examination of our attitudes towards 'live' versus 'arranger' music MIGHT still be OT.

My mistake...

#252283 - 12/31/08 10:34 PM Re: Opinions sought...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
One two cha cha cha.

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#252284 - 12/31/08 11:55 PM Re: Opinions sought...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Like someone else said, I love you man, but go steal somebody else's thread...

We can have that discussion if you like...But this thread was very specifically focused on the situation I have with regard to my band and the pros/cons of keeping it going or ending it.

To morph into a discussion of arrangers vs. non arranger musical entities is too far off the beaten path. If I didn't ask you/everyone to please stay on topic, no doubt this thread would've veered off and I don't want that.

As far as conversations and friends go...Well, if I bring a problem to them and ask for their thoughts, most of my friends don't stray off the subject. If we're just having a casual nothing specific chat, then sure, we're all over the place...

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#252285 - 01/01/09 03:10 AM Re: Opinions sought...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Bill, have you talked about their inability to rehearse with them? Just wondering what their position is on having more rehearsals.

I play in a classic rock band that I have been in for 8 years now. We still rehearse one day a week simply to keep adding new songs. It simply makes it more fun for us to increase our range of material plus it is nice to be able to pull out new songs for audiences that have seen us many times. They appreciate the variety.

#252286 - 01/01/09 04:40 AM Re: Opinions sought...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Bill, have you talked about their inability to rehearse with them? Just wondering what their position is on having more rehearsals.

I play in a classic rock band that I have been in for 8 years now. We still rehearse one day a week simply to keep adding new songs. It simply makes it more fun for us to increase our range of material plus it is nice to be able to pull out new songs for audiences that have seen us many times. They appreciate the variety.

Yes, in fact we talked about it last night. Drummer works a mid shift (8a-8p) every day except T/W when he teaches at a local music store from 3:30pm - 10:00pm...The other two guys work traditional 9-5 type jobs. That is a big part of the issue. No real options there either.

Generally, the feeling from them goes like this..."Bill, we know between 80-100 tunes. We never repeat a song ever during the night and eventually a new tune will sound great. Why consider something as drastic as ending the band?"

By a scheduling quirk, we'll be back at the same club on Saturday night that we played on NYE. So it was a perfect time to bring in a chunk of new stuff. I brought in lead sheets for nine new tunes last night. We got five of them worked into the gig and 4/5 weren't so bad for a 1st time run through. (Yes, this is the exact point that bugs me...) The other, was pretty rough.

(I should say people danced for all the new stuff, no one complained or looked at us funny...But I knew it wasn't as good as it could be...)

Given the lack of rehearsal, I often email the charts out with video links of renditions that will give them the idea of what I'm looking for...

It just drives me wild what progress we could make on a tune if we even had 15 minutes to shape it up...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#252287 - 01/01/09 10:23 AM Re: Opinions sought...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just tell them the gig starts an hour earlier than it really does... then use that hour to talk through the arrangements.

#252288 - 01/01/09 12:08 PM Re: Opinions sought...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'll have to admit that, like it or not, arrangers make it possible for me to make 1/2 of my playing income. And, it's lots easier to do a single with. But if versatility, improvisation and yes, Diki, FUN are important, there's nothing better than playing with other players. I'm the proudest dad/grandpa ever seeing my two guys start to really gel as a rythem section (piano/guitar-me-drums-grandson-bass-son).
Thing is, this is like a workshop. My son goes from electric upright to 6 string active bass. Material is everything from Giant Steps and Four to John Mayer, with a little Santana
and Earl Clugh thrown in.
It's something we can share together. Money? Sadly, I only get $350-500 for the trio-depending on the hours involved, and get $250.00-500 as a single for the same hours.

Is it worth it?

Damn right it is!

Russ (proud POP) Lay

#252289 - 01/01/09 06:46 PM Re: Opinions sought...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
It's something we can share together. Money? Sadly, I only get $350-500 for the trio-depending on the hours involved, and get $250.00-500 as a single for the same hours.

Is it worth it?

Damn right it is!

Russ (proud POP) Lay

I bet it is. Sounds like a hot trio you have there. And the satisfaction you must get just can't be measured in terms of money. I can understand both sides. If your income depends on the amount you earn then playing as a single can't be beat. But on the other hand if you are playing music for the satisfaction only then playing with other musicians is simply inspiring and brings out more in you than playing by yourself. If you can do both then you have the perfect balance.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-01-2009).]

#252290 - 01/02/09 04:08 AM Re: Opinions sought...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think it's difficult to play as a single unless you've got just a little bit of 'entertainer' in you. Even harder if you don't sing. JMO.

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online