Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252115 - 12/29/08 03:13 PM Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
Dnj Offline

#252116 - 12/30/08 07:20 AM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
One of my all-time favorites. Was a pioneer in using an Echoplex live with his flugelhorn.He was the inspiration for my friend George Gentry, who passed away last year.

Creative, mellow player who deserves a place among the best who've passed on.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-30-2008).]

#252117 - 12/30/08 07:43 AM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
May he RIP. Freddie was one of the first jazz musicians I saw live, he was double billed with the late Stanley Turrentine.

#252118 - 12/30/08 08:42 AM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
May he RIP. Freddie was one of the first jazz musicians I saw live, he was double billed with the late Stanley Turrentine.
........who was married to my former teacher and friend, the late Shirley Scott, queen of the Hammond B3. See what a small community this is?

chas

#252119 - 12/30/08 01:29 PM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, it just hit me that you have mentioned THAT Shirley Scott! What a great lady to have known. I used to spend hours listening to her, and liked her as much as some of the "macho" B-3 guys.

We've got to make time to visit this year!

Russ

#252120 - 12/30/08 03:42 PM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
cgiles Offline

I fully expect that to happen, Russ, and it will be my pleasure. Hope you have a great new year.

chas

#252121 - 12/30/08 09:23 PM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
On the ride back from NYC tonight I found a jazz program (I think it was on a NPR station) and they played some of Freddie's music ... They also told how Freddie was 'ostracized' by his 'community' for going 'commercial' for a while, and then he injured his lip and could never get his chops back to what they were ... interesting stuff ...
RIP, Freddie, and thank you,
t.

#252122 - 12/30/08 10:19 PM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
Lucky2Bhere Offline

“Topic: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70”

Donny....every time you do one of these postings, the SZ begins to look more and more like an obituary column.

I can't think of anyone in the music world who died that made one bit of difference in my life....not even Elvis or Frankie. But I can think of many postings here that HAVE...in a negative way. I’d really like to stay focused on music and not be distracted with “breaking news” of who just passed on.

This room has been a welcome retreat for me from the harshness and reality of mainstream life. On a good day in here, it’s almost like listening to the beauty of a fine opera with no harsh interruptions.

Music is supposed to be happy, and the same with music talk. I don’t feel it should be punctuated with death notices.

For those of you who are going to argue my point...this is MY opinion. I’m not saying this is the way it should be, but that this is the way I would prefer it to be.

I’m interested to see if anyone else sees it as I do?

Lucky

#252123 - 12/31/08 03:28 AM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
I’m interested to see if anyone else sees it as I do?

Lucky

I don't. Everything seems to be about how YOU see it, how YOU prefer things to be, what YOU want SZ to be about; in other words, YOU, YOU, YOU. The world in general and SZ in particular, has no obligation to conform to what YOU want. If certain types of postings intrude into your little escape from reality, then, as many others have already said, bypass it. I, for one, like the obituary notices. I look at the ones for musicians that I'm familiar with, the rest I bypass. I'm usually curious about personal details in their lives that I may otherwise not have known.

While it's true that every subject may not be entirely appropriate for a forum such as this, zero (0) responses to them will usually weed them out naturally. I think the problem that occurs with forums (fora) such as SZ is that (because of the intimate nature of it) some people tend to invest too much of their 'soul', psyche, whatever, into this cyber-community. As great as SZ is, it's still not a substitute for the real world. It's still (for the most part) a forum about musical instruments (to the extent that arrangers are musical instruments - had to throw that in ).

Soooo, my advice; stop trying to mold SZ into a "more perfect union" and just take the parts of it that, in the words of the great DNJ, "meets YOUR needs".

BTW, anybody I know die this weekend? Jaded minds want to know.

chas

#252124 - 12/31/08 04:03 AM Re: Jazz great Freddie Hubbard dead at 70
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny,
Keep posting you have brought much color to this forum. I have visited other forums dealing with my keyboard and they mostly deal with the music issues – informative yes, but I always come back to this place because it is diversified. (interesting) I love the different personalities.
I have no need to use music to hide from the wrongs of this world.

BUT I DO HAVE A NEED TO RESPECT LUCKY’S VIEWS ON A SUBJECT.

John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online