SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#251895 - 12/25/08 10:08 PM What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I did my Xmas party today at 5 pm for Ms. X like I’ve done every year now. She has a Steinway piano. I did my Xmas sing-a-long, but while playing I noticed something. I was hardly making any mistakes. The keyboard on that Steinway made the difference. Easy action…light as a feather, yet the feeling of a solid key under your finger tips. Your finger feels like it’s going into a groove…dead center into the middle of each key. What a delight to play. I could have played it all night and not got fatigued!

I compare that with my home piano. The keys are glossy and slippery, they feel rounded, a very heavy action that tends to wear you out, very difficult to do dynamics with. So bad that I never feel I have control of the keyboard.

That is part of the answer to good playing that I always forget to remember. The keyboard. As I look back at playing the G-70 in the store, I remember that’s the first thing that impressed me. I remember commenting to the salesperson how much better I was playing on the G-70.

I think if I spring for another keyboard now, it’s going to have to have the right “feel” or I’m not going to enjoy playing it no matter HOW it sounds.

BTW…the reason I keep my “difficult” piano is because of a lesson I learned many years ago when I was studying to be a pool hustler! There was one pool table in the middle of many that had very “tight” pockets. Most of the guys wouldn’t play on this table. I had enough sense to realize if I can master this table, then any other table would be a cakewalk. And they were...all cakewalks after that. Same with my piano. It keeps me on my toes navigating this keyboard, so that when I play a different one on the job, my fingers just flow!

Lucky

#251896 - 12/26/08 01:55 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
... As I look back at playing the G-70 in the store, I remember that’s the first thing that impressed me. I remember commenting to the salesperson how much better I was playing on the G-70....

I'm only an amateur, not even play piano, but this is very similiar to what I
feel when play the Ketron SD1 and the G-70.
Korg PA1X/PA2X Pro probably have the same keyboard/keybed quality too, maybe
this is "top line" 76 keys arrangerkeyboard standard?
Top line of Technics KN's also have very good 61 keys, but even so, it did'nt
give me the same comfortable keyfeel as when I play the SD1 or G-70.

Anyway, I've seen/heard talented musicians play amazingly well at "cheep click
clack" keyboard toys. In fact, as well that I'll never ever can copy whatever
keys or keybeds the manufacturers gave me.

Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#251897 - 12/26/08 06:27 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I only really enjoy playing solo piano on an 88 note weighted hammer action keyboard...I use a Yamaha P85, soon to be replaced by a new Yamaha KX8 controller.

Having said that, and with piano being only one of the many sounds I use on an arranger, the action just needs to be velocity sensitive and no more than 5 octaves.

I dislike semi-weighted actions (especially with aftertouch) such as found on the G70 or Tyros.

The light quick action of the PSR-S900 is ideal for my purposes, as most of my gigs involve arranger play....velocity sensitivity is perfect, going from no sound when pressed very slowly, to max when struck quickly....just like a piano, actually.

Key action is a very personal thing...if it doesn't feel right, then it is sure to affect the time you spend playing, as well as how you play.

Ian

#251898 - 12/26/08 08:03 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Personally....key feel makes all the difference in the world...I can never understand how folks make this a compromise..

Key feel has always been a "big deal" to me...Going back to my accordion days..keys on an accordion had to be quality for me..even at the age of 13..

Unlike Ian..semi weighted keys are the only way for me....nothing makes a great sound un-enjoyable like a bad keypad.....Thus I will never play a Yamaha PSR board..and for that matter the low end feel keyboards from Roland too..

The slightly undersized keys also is a no no to me (Yamaha again)...

I do not see any need to sacrifice or compromise when it comes to keys...there are many better choices..as mentioned the Korg, Roland, Ketron top models...and add in that group the MediaStation..

If it feels like junk....it sounds like junk...to me..

Years ago Uncle Dave and I always said the feel made the sound more playable....of course in his old age..he is making compromises now..

#251899 - 12/26/08 08:15 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I agree with Fran on the PSR's. I bought a 3000 as a back up board for my tyros 1 and I just couldn't get used to the smaller keys...

I eventually moved that and added a t2 so life is pretty good...

What's also odd if I'm double a long string of doubles or something then sit down at an acoustic piano, my hands wonder what the hell has happened, lol...

Take a song or two to get in the swing of things...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#251900 - 12/26/08 08:43 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I do not see any need to sacrifice or compromise when it comes to keys

Exactly, Fran...and that's what semi-weighted action is to me...a compromise.

The feel of the G70 and Tyros are far too wimpy for actual piano playing...plus there aren't enough keys.

You obviously don't play much piano or you wouldn't compromise your chops on a semi-weighted action.

Semi-weighted keys, by their very nature, are a compromise between synth action and piano action.

So actually, you are compromising.

Ian

#251901 - 12/26/08 09:39 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian..I respectfully disagree...how is that for holiday spirit..

Semi weighted is not a compromise...it is a design...meaning better resistance and a more solid feel...fully weighted..originally was a term for counter balanced weights..

Also i would not put the G70 key-bed and the Tyros key-beds in the same category...the Tyros is still undersized and a less desirable feel to me...Korg PA1x and MediaStation do share the same stage in key feel...

As for 88 keys..I am not sure I ever touched the top half octave or lower half octave..other than glissando's...

Ian even your P 85 is a semi weighted key bed...no matter how Yamaha describes it "graded action"...It also suffers from under size keys....although a better key feel than the lower model N-30...

Also after touch is not noticeable unless you want it to do a function on the G70...Me..I want it ..when I need it...

Here is another suggestion for "piano players" get out and try the new Roland "ivory" key-beds...It is as close as you can get ...to a real piano (acoustic)..

The competition lags behind in this department...As an "old" accordion player..semi weighted lights my fire...

Another side note...As we all remembered the Yamaha DX-7 was the ideal keyboard to play..quality key-bed.....In today's world after playing my G70 ..even the E-60....The DX-7 is the same less desirable feel of the Tyros2....

I will still save my mint DX-7 with E....so my great great grandchildren can sell it ( along with my Roland cubes)..down the road...but...play it...NOT!!!

#251902 - 12/26/08 10:15 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian..I respectfully disagree...how is that for holiday spirit..

Semi weighted is not a compromise...it is a design...!!!

I'm glad you see it that way Fran, not much point arguing with me unless you're a good loser.

Semi-weighted action is truly a compromise...whether by design or not, between synth and weighted...I figured a pro like you would be acutely aware of this fact.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-26-2008).]

#251903 - 12/26/08 10:20 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Lucky..,

I understand what you mean man! Once you put your hands on the keybed of a Steinway you'll never forget it. Stein's are by far my most favorite acoustic piano to play on (not just because of the sound), but the key action is just butter.

Nothing beats the feel of "truely graded and weighted" keybed for piano playing. Some of these newer lines of digitals are getting pretty darn close, but many I've played have been on the heavy side too. I'm really wanting to get my hand on the new Fantom G8. That keybed is getting amazing reviews....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251904 - 12/26/08 10:23 AM Re: What I forgot about the keyboard on a keyboard!
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
I still think that Ensoniq is unsurpassed when it comes to semi-weighted synth action. It's always a joy to play a VFX or TS series board.
I have to admit that I used to practice and play much longer on My VA-76 than on the PA800 now. It's gotta be the keybed!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online