SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#251267 - 12/19/08 11:04 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I've never had so much interest in my website since I put it up 10 years ago. First I would like to thank the level headed people that understand that playing music is a job like any other and making the customer happy is the bottom line. To the one guy who felt compelled to Email me directly (steve pellegrino paradisesteve@comcast.net)and ask me what ship I am going to be on so he can avoid it - It's too late, I will be appearing on the ship of fools and clearly you are a permanent passenger. As far as the quality of the demos. One particular night the ship (carnival cruise lines) decided to videotape my "performance". I recorded the music off the video into my computer and threw it up on the site, many years later I added some more "demos" that I did sitting at my desk with a microphone plugged into my sound card. I think I spent a total of 3-4 hours putting up the site. To those of you who listen and play music in order to be as close to the original composer as possible "Kudos" to you. My focus on the ship was to make as much in tips as I could every nite and if I had to play Pianoman 47 times (which is what it felt like) so what, my tip jar was always full! and I got laid a lot. I don't do many gigs anymore and definatley not with equipment. I get paid a lot more to fix computers/networks and telephone systems and carry a lot less. It seems to me, with the exception of those posters who recognize that it is what it is, that many of you are full of yourselves and yet can't manage to get your shit together, so you waste your time lambasting others. Finally, for all those that are so interested in what I am doing musically, I sent those same demo files to an agency and booked new years from 7-9PM for $600 on Acoustic piano. Are you working? Merry Christmas to all and my Holiday Gift is (if you don't already know about it)Pandora.com and seeqpod.com check them out 2 great sites. Thanks again for all the attention, I'm flattered. P.S. Thank you Jack for the heads up and best wishes to you and yours.

#251268 - 12/19/08 11:05 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave-I play ALL of the songs on your demo as often as possible. Moondance, You Made Me So Very Happy and God Bless The Child are some of my very vavorites. Loved old Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago.

Cool stuff!

Russ

#251269 - 12/19/08 12:16 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What I read was:
“I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what you think”.

And then the blows start and a bit personal. The answer to the question asked is still the same, the music and voice in my opinion does not make it. This is not to say the man is not a good person or that his ability to book a job is no good --- or any other negative remark to the performer.

It is just an answer to the question asked.

John C.

#251270 - 12/19/08 01:55 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Like I Care,

Good response to the above posts. I stand by my post, and still don't play Pianoman, but that's probably because I no longer rely on tips for part of my income. And, welcome to the Synthzone insane asylum.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251271 - 12/19/08 02:23 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
One two cha cha cha.

#251272 - 12/19/08 04:39 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Pacesetter Offline

Steve, glad you got to the site to defend yourself. Merry Christmas

Jack

#251273 - 12/19/08 06:49 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I liked David's demos - good clear voice, and his playing in his solo video was choice!

I think we've got our usual mix of honest criticism and extraordinary bluntness here - nothing new.

Here finally is our video demo:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnaVpo_8-w&fmt=18

It's Youtube quality.... our DVD demo has MUCH better Video quality and sound sync....but you get the idea.

I'm interested in a constructive critique, though if I get the "other kind" I'm quite strong enough to deal with that these days too.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#251274 - 12/19/08 06:56 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
zuki Offline

Wow! Gotta watch what you say around here - Nigel has a a popular site

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#251275 - 12/19/08 07:20 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
There you go, endearing yourself to the members of this board again . The fact that I agree with you (sort of) also doesn't help your cause .

chas

I don't have a "cause." I'm not selling anything. LOL I tell it like I see it. I have no issue with ANYONE who can make a living with their music no matter how badly it is critiqued by other musicians. It's nice to be recognized by one's peers, but that's about it, but they don't write the checks. They aren't buying the CDs.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#251276 - 12/19/08 07:25 PM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Like I Care:
Well, I've never had so much interest in my website since I put it up 10 years ago. First I would like to thank the level headed people that understand that playing music is a job like any other and making the customer happy is the bottom line. To the one guy who felt compelled to Email me directly (steve pellegrino paradisesteve@comcast.net)and ask me what ship I am going to be on so he can avoid it - It's too late, I will be appearing on the ship of fools and clearly you are a permanent passenger. As far as the quality of the demos. One particular night the ship (carnival cruise lines) decided to videotape my "performance". I recorded the music off the video into my computer and threw it up on the site, many years later I added some more "demos" that I did sitting at my desk with a microphone plugged into my sound card. I think I spent a total of 3-4 hours putting up the site. To those of you who listen and play music in order to be as close to the original composer as possible "Kudos" to you. My focus on the ship was to make as much in tips as I could every nite and if I had to play Pianoman 47 times (which is what it felt like) so what, my tip jar was always full! and I got laid a lot. I don't do many gigs anymore and definatley not with equipment. I get paid a lot more to fix computers/networks and telephone systems and carry a lot less. It seems to me, with the exception of those posters who recognize that it is what it is, that many of you are full of yourselves and yet can't manage to get your shit together, so you waste your time lambasting others. Finally, for all those that are so interested in what I am doing musically, I sent those same demo files to an agency and booked new years from 7-9PM for $600 on Acoustic piano. Are you working? Merry Christmas to all and my Holiday Gift is (if you don't already know about it)Pandora.com and seeqpod.com check them out 2 great sites. Thanks again for all the attention, I'm flattered. P.S. Thank you Jack for the heads up and best wishes to you and yours.

I am sure glad you had a chance to read this thread and not allow it to discourage you. But then again you were and are actually working for good money.

Having worked Cruise ships (RCL and Premiere) I also know you won't last long if those comment cards aren't favorable whether you are in the main room or the lounge. I am sure you represent yourself far better then some here would guess in their haste to ridicule and critique. Good Luck to you. But I don;t think you will need it.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-19-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online