SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#251236 - 12/18/08 11:06 PM I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

http://www.onemusician.com/

I'm checking out this web site which looks promising upfront. A chance to hear what one of the "cruise ship" OMB's sounds like.

"You only need One Musician to have the sound of an Orchestra"

I downloaded: Mony Mony...Those Were the Days...Stand By Me.

I almost fell out out of my chair when I listened to them.

I'm really interested in hearing from some of you your overall impression of his act. Tell me what YOU think of his playing separate from his rapport with the audience. Does it deliver what it promises?...

"You only need One Musician to have the sound of an Orchestra"

Listening to this fellow play has certainly changed my perception of today's performers!

What do YOU think?

Lucky

#251237 - 12/19/08 12:13 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I didn't really care for it...

Someone should teach the guy the proper changes to Piano man...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#251238 - 12/19/08 12:55 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
As the saying goes, “You had better keep your daytime job”.

Voice on a scale from 1 to 10 is 4.

Piano playing in the lounge is about the same. But—he writing about himself is superb.

I don’t normally like to pan a performer but it gets tiring listening to people pass themselves as a OMB that do not make the grade.

Kind of harsh, sorry, John C.

#251239 - 12/19/08 03:36 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You think HE's bad, I almost lost my breakfast listening to his partner do 'RESPECT'. Atrocious. Even a chicken hat wouldn't help those two.

chas

#251240 - 12/19/08 04:53 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
First, more power to anyone who wants to make music.
Second, the fact that people are singing along with his cruise ship gig means that they are being entertained, which is the idea, correct?
Third (and most important) there is always at least one person out there that can put your playing and singing to shame. Would you like them to come forward publicly with their opinion of you, especially if you didn't ask for it?

Sorry to be harsh, but come on...it's Christmas. Granted it appears that he is Jewish, so Happy Hanukkah if that's the case.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#251242 - 12/19/08 05:44 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
GEEEZ OHHHHH MAN!!!!! Look if I'm paying good money on a cruise I expect a decent musical act. That rendention of RESPECT.., was nothing but DISRESPECT to the song itself.

Sorry, but sometimes I hear so called pro musician's but can't understand how some continue to book gigs. Maybe this couple is acceptable to some here.., but IMO I would complain the cruise company if this was the musical act on a cruise I paid good money for. I know sometimes we accept that a performance on a cruise might be mediocre, but these two IMO don't even reach mediocre.....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251243 - 12/19/08 06:03 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I guess you'd have to be there to understand...

R.

#251244 - 12/19/08 06:28 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Wow, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
First, more power to anyone who wants to make music.
Second, the fact that people are singing along with his cruise ship gig means that they are being entertained, which is the idea, correct?
Third (and most important) there is always at least one person out there that can put your playing and singing to shame. Would you like them to come forward publicly with their opinion of you, especially if you didn't ask for it?

Sorry to be harsh, but come on...it's Christmas. Granted it appears that he is Jewish, so Happy Hanukkah if that's the case.

I should have been more thorough in my response. Yes, of course I give the credit for "being in the game." Any musician, who is out there in front of audiences, especially paying ones, deserves some measure of respect. A charming personality can enhance an otherwise mediocre performance easily.

Musically, it just left me cold...

Kb wise, his playing is ok...I took issue with Piano Man because its virtually an archtype pop song. Any performer who dares cover that tune, IMO had better be able to play it very closely to the original feel and chord structure. Yes, the right artist could take it way out the h*ll to left field somewhere and pull it off, but this isn't the case, IMO...

The Mony, Mony thing with its audience lyrics, even though they're indicated as x rated, IMO should never have been put on the website as a demo...

The tunes with the backing tracks were ok from a kb sense...Middle of the road caliber, but the vocals, I think could use some direction.

I would also change some of the text on his homepage, especially the line about"...Some of the ceremonies I've played have sounded so beautiful that even I cry !"

His remark about DJ's also, IMO, doesn't reflect very well on him either. There are DJ's who put on a helluva show, are gifted hosts and are just as tuned into their clients needs as any musician is.

There's some talent there. Obviously adept at successfully marketing cruise ships or agencies, in what I've always understood to be a pretty competitive gig. If what's he's doing is working to both his clients and his needs...then, who cares?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-19-2008).]

#251245 - 12/19/08 06:29 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
They are not terrible but they are not great either. I have heard worse. They're passable for drunks and those people are definitely drunk. For the arranger songs, his accompaniment has no punch, it's lifeless.

No, I don't think they are cruise ship quality. Then again, I've only been on one cruise.

#251246 - 12/19/08 06:41 AM Re: I was shocked when I heard this. Tell me what YOU think!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Remind me to never do a "gig"... LOL!

Dave Rice

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online