SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251054 - 12/16/08 09:48 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Gary we do share one thing. We both keep our keyboards far longer than most on the Zone. When I lay down several thousand bucks on a keyboard. Shoooooot.., it's for keeps man! I can't just upgrade everytime a new model comes out I squeeze every ounce of juice out of the keyboards I buy (or as much as I can). I even hold on to some boards (that would be considered dated today).. simply because I put so much work into tweeking the thing.

Some of you guys are in the position to spend the money you do..., and take these trips. I say that's great..., because at this point in your lives YOU'VE WORKDED DAMN HARD FOR IT and paid your dues (and them some). I say knock yourselves out. However, some of us aren't there yet. We still have a ways to go
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251055 - 12/16/08 10:40 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Dnj Offline

Some how this is going to lead towards me hahahahah let the Pee Pee contest begin I got work to do.

#251056 - 12/16/08 10:45 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i bought my E60 from an internet store, two or three months after it's release. i was the second member on the SZ to have this keyboard. had no chance to check it before. i just listen to demos, read the forums, manuals, etc.
i am happy with it. have always been. buying unseen is not so stupid once you know what you're doing!

#251057 - 12/16/08 10:51 AM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Don't take any of the comments personally Donny. I in no way intend to offend you or anyone else here as we all have diffferent reasons for how we shop.

Myself I don't have the funds to change boards often. That's why when I do purchase a keyboard I squeeze as much out of it as I can and hold on to it as long as I can. When patches start to sound old to me..., well I simply "tweek" them. I'm in a small percentage of players here too. I don't look for out of box sounds. I'm someone who likes to edit and tweek sounds. With arrangers I like to create user styles. I know that I'm not going to get the level of quality as the preset styles (but realistically it's safe to say that very few if any of us even have the gear to accomplish this).., but I do enjoy creating them.

If I was performing again.., I'm sure I'd be running through a few models myself

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-16-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#251058 - 12/16/08 02:22 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Squeak, I understand your approach completely. That's the sensible way to approach things. And, that's coming from the least rational guy here, in terms of using good sense and judgement as far as "toy" purchases is concerned.

For a "toy" fix, get your butt to Lexington. Here in the warehouse are 100 plus guitars, 25 or so basses, vibes, Claviniva, GW-8, SH-201, Midjay, WK-8000, NP-30, a Hammond XB, 1949 M, old Micro Korg, MS-60, SD-5, A rare old PAIA string machine/piano, and lots of other of oddities...melodicas, banjos, mandolins, accordians and more. If that's not enough, add several hundred other instruments under lock and key at a "secret" humidity controlled location in town. Then, there's the stuff on location at house jobs...B-3's, Suitcase Rhodes, etc.

I'm telling ya, it's a SICKNESS!

Seriously, be great to visit!

R.

#251059 - 12/16/08 03:21 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
My contribution to this thread perfectly supports gary's approach...

Several years ago, I did research on various keyboards. I printed out several different owners manuals, browsed user forums, mfg. websites, etc. I made a good effort to educate myself about my options. I wound up purchasing a Korg Triton Pro-x 88.

I never touched one until I unpacked it at my home. (There were none anywhwere in the Dayton/Cincy area...)

Within a weeks time, I learned a great deal about that keyboard including that A) The piano sounds, even tweaked, IMO were brutal...and B) I had to get rid of it.

My next purchase of a high end kb, the original Tryos, occurred only after I drove 3 hours to Ft. Wayne, IN to Sweetwater Music and sat with and explored the Tyros for 3+ hours in their keyboard department.

(I bought that KB from George Kaye, as well as a few others over the years...)

That Tyros now serves as my back up board to my Tyros 2.

Truth be told, research and familiarity with the Tyros line gave me confidence when I bought the T2. Switching from the T1 to the T2 was fairly straightforward and I had no major problems at all.

The Tyros arrangers made a huge impact on my music...I love playing them and for my money's worth, they're the best on the market.

So, under some circumstances, I suppose you risk much less than others...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-16-2008).]

#251060 - 12/16/08 03:23 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
squeak_D Offline

Russ.., I talked to the wife.. We're gonna plan a weekend trip to Lexington after the new year Will keep you posted so we can figure out a date.

#251061 - 12/16/08 06:54 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I guess I'm just a die hard Yamaha fan. I just knew I wanted a PSR2000, then a PSR3000, then a Tyros2, and now a Tyros3. All were bought sight unseen from dealers that have a clear "try before you buy" policies. You only pay return shipping if unsatisfied. No restocking or other charges. I like the idea of getting a 30 day trial with a new keyboard in my own home environment. My sound system, computer, internet connection...........a real-time demo. I wouldn't want it any other way. Reputable dealers would not sell a returned item as new. I see a few dealers selling returns as such, or as B-stock. The last few times I have been in "Music" stores I seemed to know more about a model than the salesman. Maybe it's not this way where you live, but this has become my accepted way to buy a new keyboard. I've come to like it this way. It is no longer worth my time, gas, and expense to drive over 100 miles to audition something I can do in my own home............and usually pay a lesser price. -charley

#251062 - 12/16/08 07:03 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If a dealer has no restocking fee, but can't sell the returned item as new, doesn't that eat into his profit margin? Do you get preferential treatment by being a repeat customer?

What's in it for him to lose that money on the deal, otherwise?

Why don't I get a 30 day trial from one dealer, return it, get thirty days from the next, return it, all year long? Free gear, forever!

#251063 - 12/16/08 07:10 PM Re: How do you buy a keyboard when you can't locate one to try?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm kind of completely against Zuki's premise

Doesn't surprise me, but how is one "kind of completely against" LOL

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online