SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#250951 - 12/14/08 12:58 PM Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Duskest Offline

Loc: Victoria
So, I decided for my album I am going to be using soft-synths instead of buying a 3000 dollar keyboard. I tried out a few such as the Korg M1. While the M1 was awesome in that it gave you tons of strings, brass, voice etc that you could tinker and mix it came across as being thin and synthetic.

You see, I have this old Casio keyboard with midi input and although it may sound outdated, it has life, emotion and thickness. Anyways, I tried some other synths and although they sounded a lot fuller and had more emotions, they ended up being experimental effects or retro moog synths, which for a well produced Dark Metal project isn't what I'm looking for. At first I thought that it was because analog sounds better than digital.. but why should this matter if both a store bought keyboard and software are both using midi presets for each sound?

What I'm looking for is strings, brass, choirs, piano not some wind or techno effects like most of these soft-synths I've came across.

I want something that is full of life and emotion that kind of thing.

Can anyone recommend me some soft-synths I could get?

#250952 - 12/14/08 02:00 PM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Why would you want a soft synth to recreate piano, choir, brass, and string sounds? I think what you need is a VST like Kontact, Giga, Halion. They'll give you very realistic sounds but the emotion and life will have to come from you playing them correctly. VST's are great tools when used correctly but even a great sound not played like the real instrument won't sound good. It helps if you know the nuances each instrument can create, the key range, and scaling.

#250953 - 12/14/08 02:34 PM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Take a look at Edirol (Roland) Orchestral.

Old and discontinued, but it will give you all the orchestra sounds you will need. It also has a very good piano (good to my ears at least).

see that link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLOz-Y49h4k
and all the related stuff on youtube

also check out those guys in another forum talking about the product http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-21523.html

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 12-14-2008).]

#250954 - 12/14/08 04:07 PM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gigasampler.

Garritan Personal Orchestra (if you are a budget)

Vienna Symphonic Library (if you are not!)

Garritan Big Band

BFD

EZ Drummer (plus expansion packs)

Ivory

Real Strat

too many to mention... have you even DONE a search yet?

Sky's the limit.

#250955 - 12/14/08 10:54 PM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I've been using soft synths and samples for years now. Spent a good deal of money on commercial stuff and a good deal of time wading through freeware apps. I don't regret a minute or dollar of it though. I have a Korg M3, Motif ES and a Tyros 2, and I like them all, but I'd never be able to replicate on any of them some of the stuff I have on the computer.

I'm partial to synth sounds, both analogesque and digital soundscapes, and this is one area where my hardware falls really short vs even some of the freeware synths out there. That said, I have quite a few acoustic emulators as well that match or exceed some of the sounds in any of my hardware.

Diki gave a great list to start with. I don't have everything on his list, but have played in other studios that do. I do have Real strat, EZ Drummer and Gigasampler, along with a host of other stuff. All great apps.

Steinberg's Hypersonic 2 is a great all in one, a software equivalent to a modern workstation, but I think it may now be out of production. I also don't care much for the dongle scheme.

The Korg M1 software you mention sounds.. pretty much exactly like my old Korg M1. Spot on in fact.. but then again the M1 would never have been my first choice for acoustic emulations, even in the hardware version. Ditto the Polysix software.. Just like I remember my old Poly6.

I can suggest a few more commercial offerings.. all of these I have in my home studio..

Guitars - Musiclabs Real Strat and Real Guitar, Chris Hein Guitars, Plugsound Fretted.

Piano - Edirol Super Quartet and Orchestral ( the latter is also good for orchestra type sounds ). Plugsound Keys, Luxonix Ravity ( an all in one like Hypersonic 2. )

Synth based sounds, pads, strings, etc.. I could go on forever with these, but at the top of my list include Lin Plug Albino, Imposocar, Superwave Performer, Z3TA, Pentagon, and NI Pro 53.

Before you spend your money.. maybe check out some of the freeware at KVR-Audio. There is a ton, some not so great, but others that are magnificent.

For pianos - the 4front modules ( acoustic and Rhodes ), EVM grand Pianos, and The Safwan Matni offerings are all quite good. DSK synths also makes a pretty decent freeware piano ( both electric and acoustic ). Mr Ray is an excelent wurli emulator, TikiClav does a realnice Hohner Clavinet.

For strings and orchestral.. check out the DSK freewares, especially "Virtuoso".

There are many more out there. Many excellent synth based freewares.. Synth 1, Minimogue, Superwave P8, ZR3 ( nice alternative to the commercial B4 for organs ), Polyiblit, Herc's Abakos.. to name a few.. The Safwan Matni stuff is superb, especially for world type instruments like an "oud" for example.

Good Luck in your search

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-14-2008).]

#250956 - 12/15/08 12:39 AM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Diki Offline

Don't forget Omnisphere... this is the bomb!

#250957 - 12/15/08 01:40 AM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hypersonic was not a sole Steinberg product, and now the licensing has finished it is no longer available to buy standalone.

The sound engine itself continues on, as it has been incorporated into the Wersi OAS system. (All the new OAS 7 voices use it)

To show how you can compile VSTs into an arranger system, have a look at this link here http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018112.html

Regards

Bill

#250958 - 12/15/08 02:18 AM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have Colossus and Kontakt2 in my Receptor and have tried to get realistic acoustic instrument emulations, or even simulations. I have never been able to get realistic vibrato's or articulations. Should you create it inside Kontakt eg,or at the controller ?

#250959 - 12/15/08 08:14 AM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie

1. Extra effects can only be used if built into the sound; otherwise you have to add them yourself from within the program.

2. Make sure you’re Controller, Interface (Receptor) and VST are not blocking any control codes

3. Make sure the control codes match (For instance your modulation wheel must use the same code as Receptor and the VST to control modulation in the sound (Also see 1 above)

Most sounds allow you to turn Articulations on or off from within the program, so make sure the ones you want are turned on.

Hope this helps

Bill

#250960 - 12/15/08 08:38 AM Re: Trying to find colourful soft-synths but failing
Diki Offline

Just noticed you are writing in a Dark Metal style...

I doubt we have many here who play that style ( ). Perhaps you could clue us in to what kinds of keyboards and acoustic sounds (if any!) are used on that style?

Are Dark Metal records usually done with REAL brass, strings, choirs, etc., or are the main guys in this field using samplers, or synths...?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online