SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#250787 - 12/12/08 08:34 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
zuki Offline

Thanks Donny - you too

I owe a lot to you for your help as I started out in February 2006. Your willingness to go overboard on any and all my requests will always be appreciated.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#250788 - 12/12/08 08:50 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

Your very welcome...I know you'll do very well out there.

Have a great Holiday!

#250789 - 12/12/08 09:59 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Guys, Thanks for sharing...
Very interesting...for sure.
I'm still practicing to see if some day anyone would want to pay me to play!

I'm 60, so still have some time (good lord willing)

All the best to everyone out there.
BBBB, get well soon!

PS. Wish I had someone close here to tutor me some!!! :-)

Lee

I wish I could find someone to tutor! Seriously, my kids aren't interested. I could pass on a lot of know-how. I'm afraid arranger play as we know it is a dying art.
DonM

#250790 - 12/13/08 04:54 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I have 437 jobs booked for 2009. I am in demand, but it doesn't come from sitting on my ass at home and waiting for calls - my point!

Zuki-That's terrific given how long you're been at this...

Q: How much do you sing during your performances?

The reason I ask is because there is an act or 2 in Dayton and a few more in the Pittsburgh market (my home town-family still lives there) that exceed 400 shows per year (one claims to exceed 500). I hear a steady stream of criticism towards these acts because vocally they often aren't at their best. Some AD's have said they almost feel cheated if their voices aren't in good shape when these acts perform for their residents. Frankly, there's more negative chatter about these acts being in poor voice or appearing fatigued on stage than positive remarks about "how busy these guys are..."

I've done as many as 430 shows one year...I'm prone to pretty severe bouts with allergies from time to time that just kills my voice. I've added more and more instrumental material through the years but for me, you get much past 400 jobs a year and its too much. I turn a fair bit of work away because time with my wife & kids is really appealing. For example, in the last 3 years, I've walked away from a few clients on Friday nights because my wife & I love to go watch our middle daughter perform with the high school marching band. We travel to all the away games, competitions and invitationals. Its awesome and I'm not missing that stuff...

Regards-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-13-2008).]

#250791 - 12/13/08 06:38 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I wish I could find someone to tutor! Seriously, my kids aren't interested. I could pass on a lot of know-how. I'm afraid arranger play as we know it is a dying art.
DonM

A legacy is remembered its not enough to just tutor or take lessons.....you have to have REAL LIFE MUSICAL EXPERIENCES to absorb from others & that is whats gone from main stream society........just thank the lord that you have the gift of Music & can share it with others while your here.

#250792 - 12/13/08 07:27 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
zuki Offline

Hi Bill,

When my voice fails one day, I'll be the first to admit. I've sung correctly, since I was 14 and have no problems singing 90% of my hour performance. I never get sore or unable to reach notes.

In 2007, I played over 500 gigs and will probably so do again. However, I am only playing about 8 times total on the weekends and trying to keep Friday nights open also.

2009 should be fun. I have some new things up my sleeve to make it increasingly interesting.

Life goes too fast to work 7 days a week. No more....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#250793 - 12/13/08 07:36 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny, Would you NEVER take a gig through an agent??? Suppose a reputable agent calls you and says "I've got a 2 hour gig for you 2 miles from your house and it pays $1000.00." .. would you NOT take it because it is through an agent ?!?!? ....
Just askin',
t.

#250794 - 12/13/08 07:43 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

t.

My thoughts on this subject cannot be discussed here on SZ but I will gladly speak with you in private......give me a shout sometime.

d.

#250795 - 12/13/08 07:48 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
zuki Offline

I joined an agency group last year for $79 - 3 months. I got 2 bookings for $700, so the roi was sufficient. I let the membership run out, but may join again to add an extra buck or two.

Like Tony says, who knows what could be lurking as an opportunity. I leave all options open these days.

#250796 - 12/13/08 08:10 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Stephen,
My biggest problem is the turn over of the folks who do the hiring. I play basically senior gigs - will do about 200 of them this year and just about time I get established with a place the AD leaves and I get to start all over with a new person.

Some of the places I play use an agency who has tried to "wrap up" the senior venues but I told them I wasn't interested in sharing my fee unless they wanted to pay me a hell of a lot more.

I guess my worst gig experience happened about 40 years ago. I got in a car along with 6 other players and 2 other cars, drove from Dallas to Alburque-about 14 hours with trailers-for a gig and when we got there we found out we were a week early. We got paid for the gig and returned the next week and got paid again.

Hammer

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online