SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251179 - 12/18/08 03:54 AM T3 and stylemaking
to the genesys Offline

Questions about styles on the T3.

Is it possible to create styles from scratch on the T3? If so it is simple?
Is it possible to copy parts of factory styles on the T3 to user styles? If so how simple is it?
Can you do either of those functions with a PC program?

And finally, can you create midi files from scratch and do editing on them on the T3? How simple is it.

#251180 - 12/18/08 06:51 AM Re: T3 and stylemaking
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, you can create a style from scratch using any Yamaha keyboard since the PSR-2000 was created. This is easy done using Style Creator, an onboard program that allows you to not only create a style from scratch, but additionally, copy segments of styles from one style to another, and make changes to any onboard or third party style that will play on a Yamaha keyboard. It's not at all difficult, and you'll find detailed instructions at www.psrtutorial.com under the lessons tab.

The keyboard's onboard Song Creator program allows you to modify any midi file, including those created directly on the keyboard. You'll find detailed instructions for this at the PSR Tutorial site as well.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251181 - 12/18/08 12:26 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't know about the T3, but on my PSR1500, I can't edit individual notes ( ie event list edit) the ONBOARD styles in the psr itself. Only the drums could be edited on board. None of the other tracks.

I did my note editing via OMB software or other options were one of Michaels or Jorgen's programs. May want to check if these programs are fully functional with the T3 yet..

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by to the genesys:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#251182 - 12/18/08 01:15 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
travlin'easy Offline

Riki,

I'm pretty sure you can do this on the 1500 as well, but I'm not positive. I'll have to check the manual for the 1500 after the holidays. If Style Creator is an onboard program, you should be able to edit every section of the style, ry1, ry2, bass, etc..

Gary

#251183 - 12/18/08 01:31 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You can only edit style tracks that you have recorded, i.e. played in.

You can edit the RHY1 and RHY2 but that's all.

I find creating styles from scratch very time consuming with Yamaha's Style Creator, and I prefer to use Style Assembly and make up a new(er) style from component parts.

Roland does style creating/editing very elegantly( I haven't been able to try a Korg), and Yamaha could take a few lessons from them.

It's probably the one area on Yamaha arrangers(well, perhaps the harmonizer) that could do with some updating and/or simplification.

#251184 - 12/18/08 02:21 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You can only edit style tracks that you have recorded, i.e. played in.

I find creating styles from scratch very time consuming with Yamaha's Style Creator, and I prefer to use Style Assembly and make up a new(er) style from component parts.

Roland does style creating/editing very elegantly( I haven't been able to try a Korg), and Yamaha could take a few lessons from them.

It's probably the one area on Yamaha arrangers(well, perhaps the harmonizer) that could do with some updating and/or simplification.

Hi ianmcnll

Are you talking about the T3 or the PSR 1500?

#251185 - 12/18/08 02:27 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The T3 and the 1500....why?

Style Creator is very similar on both, except the T3 has guitar voicing for the guitar parts, which is tres cool.

Otherwise they are the same.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-18-2008).]

#251186 - 12/18/08 09:49 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Ian,
style creator obviously hasn't changed a great deal in the last few years except for the new guitar function on the T3??

I remember reading the manual before purchasing my psr1500 & must have misread the part on event list editing. I assumed it included all the onboard style tracks.
I was a bit dissapointed because I'd hoped to be able to just alter a note here or there , instead it required the track to be rerecorded.
If it hadn't be for some of the 3rd party software available I wouldn't have been able to do the editing I wanted.

Still, it was better than the editing functions on my SD1. haahaa

Tell you what, a korg /yammie hybrid would be brilliant. Style creation functions of the korg (os2 just improved it, I can now import & export a complete style as a midifile into a pc sequencer, even got markers, reminds me of my yammie styles)
& on the Yammie side, some of the great styles & sounds & I must admit I do prefer the yammie fill system.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianmcnll:
[B] You can only edit style tracks that you have recorded, i.e. played in.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#251187 - 12/19/08 07:30 AM Re: T3 and stylemaking
travlin'easy Offline

Sorry Rikki, I misunderstood what you were referring to with the editing process using Style Creator. Yes, you can edit individual drum parts, but you are right about having to re-record the other style components.

As for creating a style from scratch, I never found it difficult at all using style creator, and the program does a great job. Yes, it does take a bit of time and effort, but it's not a complex program. The problem with Style Creator, Voice Creator and Song Creator is the instruction manual, which is very poor at best. Fortunately, websites such as PSR Tutorial, have a lot of good folks there who have taken the time to rewrite the manual's specific instructions in clear, concise language that makes using these programs a lot easier.

So, to answer the original questions, you can create styles from scratch, and it really is not difficult. Yes, you can copy parts of factory styles to third party styles, and it's very easy to do. Yes, you can do either function using PC based software. And finally, yes you can create midi files from scratch and edit them on the T3, which is not at all difficult. However, editing midi files using Song Creator can be a bit time consuming, but the end results are usually quite good. MIDI file editing, however, is probably best done using PC based software such as Power Tracks Pro, Band In A Box, etc..

Cheers,

Gary

#251188 - 12/19/08 01:25 PM Re: T3 and stylemaking
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Gary,
possibly it's me, I sometimes don't quite get across, what I actually mean .
That's the problem with the written word, rather than the spoken word.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[B]Sorry Rikki, I misunderstood what you were referring to with the editing process using Style Creator. Yes, you can edit individual drum parts, but you are right about having to re-record the other style components.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online