SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#250766 - 12/12/08 06:59 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Great experiences!

I just want to ad my recent tales to the bunch...

For more than 5 years I have been playing my KB at 3 venues weekly. I am a VOLUNTEER OWB (one woman band).... My venues are all Senior citizens....

I went on a 5 month trip this Spring and Summer. When I returned to resume my gigs there was a new administrator at my oldest gig.... She fired me and all others who played there on other days.... She sent the 2 old resident dogs packing and ordered no stimulus of any variety during meal time!

Another of my venues, also voluntary had replaced me with a group I have often played with... single instrument players. I was told they did not want me to join them as they did not like the styles on my KB. When I asked them, they all denied saying that..... HOWEVER.... they did not ask me to join them.

So now I have 1 gig each week and I am glad to have it... two more would be too much right now and probably forever!

If you are getting paid fine. If you are not it is just as fun to volunteer if you love entertaining an audience with your music and snappy patter.
ELIZABETH TECHNICS player

#250767 - 12/12/08 07:11 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

haha my Day & Night job is music

#250768 - 12/12/08 07:21 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
zuki Offline

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your horrifying job, especially the slam from the classless girl - who needs that??? I'm sorry for you to hear about that rude remark.

Working full time music takes a huge toll. It takes a full time practice commitment. I don't believe there's a way to work another job and cover every music scenario like you encountered. You are gainfully employed and it's a tough road that way.

Remember, no matter how good you are or how hard you prepare for someone, there is always someone who likes someone better and it could even be non music related! Not everyone likes Stevie Wonder or Frank Sinatra.

But keep going for it. Don't let this immobilize you. I never let myself have 2nd thoughts after a bad job, because an hour later I might be the toast of the town

The reason I bomb at a job is because I have not prepared for it. I know I have a long way to go to cover ANY room. It all boils down to music selection and a complete songlist - simple as that.

This is the start of my 3rd full season of full time playing. I've weened out the jobs that could care less about talent, or have ridiculous ADs/mgmt running the show. The result is having enough qualified jobs who pay and appreciate you. That said, I never let my guard down (talented competition out there) and am finally finding time to practice as much as I need to.

Anyway Steve, thanks for sharing. I hope we all made you feel better

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#250769 - 12/12/08 07:30 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for the comments and the feeback. It certainly was a learning experience and you folks who are in the trenches everyday have good advice. Zuki and Eddie Shoe leaving your names out as one of the full time pros was not intentional. Today is a new day, I wiped the dust off and look forward to the coming weeks gigs I have scheduled.

Gary on the spare equipment, if I had known there was a chance the Barbetta would go I would have taken the Roland amp back to the gig with me. Who would have thought the Barbetta would go out too. You can bet my equipment case now has spare fuses in it LOL.

The better news is my day job is located 20 minutes from the Bose repair facility in Framingham. I've been on the phone with Bose tech support and I'll be delivering the base unit to them today for repair. With any luck I'll have it in time for next week's Thursday, Friday and weekend gigs.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-12-2008).]

#250770 - 12/12/08 07:31 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve, sorry to hear about your night ... knowing you, I KNOW you wouldn't try to put the blame on the client for the faulty electric ... Is this the venue the party is usually at? ... if so, how does the other guy manage? ... Also, Ii would like to know the name of the place in case I get a gig there ...
t.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Moral of the story....
never use an Agent

Not necessarily true ...
Although there are a LOT of bad agents stories, I get a fair amount of work from an agent and I would say that 99% of the experiences are good ... The 1% generally comes in when he doesn't tell me something about the gig, like playing for a Jewish holiday party , or that the bride wanted some 'off the wall' first dance (happened only once, but that was enough). ... Now if it is a wedding or a private function of that sort, I tell him that I want to speak to the client to work out details, special requests, etc. ... The upside can be NOT having to deal with a lot of the clients ... go in, set up, play, leave, get check in mail - eventually ...

t.

#250771 - 12/12/08 09:07 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

1- Book your own work

2- Let your talent be your calliing card

3- Make them "come to you" always

4- No Agents

nuff said...

#250773 - 12/12/08 10:34 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
1- Book your own work

2- Let your talent be your calliing card

3- Make them "come to you" always

4- No Agents

nuff said...

Donny ... all good points ... but ALL not NECESSARILY so for ALL the people ALL the time ...
'"nuff said"

t.

#250774 - 12/12/08 10:35 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
tony mads usa Offline

BB ... that is a REALLY tough situation ... hope you are better real quick !

t.

#250775 - 12/12/08 10:46 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
BB, talk about a bad gig!! I wish you the best and hope you can get out there playing soon.

#250776 - 12/12/08 01:41 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Stephen please remember My equipment is here for your needs if yours is not repaired in time for the next gig.

God Bless good Buddy

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online