SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#250756 - 12/11/08 09:31 PM Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
After tonight's gig I won't be quitting my day job for a full time one in music. I had the worst experience I've had in the 3 plus years I've been playing gigs. Tonight's gig really put into prospective the respect I have for those of you who do this full time.

Here's what happened, a friend of mine and OMB, booking agent and sometimes leader of a big band set up me for a great paying gig for 4 hours. (not a member of SZ). He has done this gig for years but had another one so he was nice enough to ask me to play it.

Here's where the trouble started. The gig was in what use to be a very large funeral home, but converted into a restaurant. It's a beautiful old historic building and in it's day I'm sure it was a considered a mansion. There are power problems in the building because the waiter tells me not all the outlets work. Anyway I plug my equipment in, then fire up the Bose and there's a POP. Gotta be a fuse, but I don't have any fuses with me. No problem I live about 15 minutes away and have plenty of time to get the Barbetta. 30 minutes later I'm back and plug in the Barbetta OUCH!!!! There goes the Barbetta, it blows a fuse. No problem there' a Radio Shack 8 blocks away. I get a 4 pack of fuses for the Bose, but not the Barbetta

I attempt to mount the new fuse into the Bose, when I finally get it in it still doesn't power up. But seems I've screwed up the plastic housing where the fuse sits. DAM I'm not having a good night and I'm now in the middle of " "Nightmare on Broadway" Another trip to Radio Shack, get the fuses, get the Barbetta fired up. It's now 8:30 PM I was scheduled to play from 6:30 to 10:30 PM. Started on the wrong foot, but got the crowd doing some Christmas sing alongs, played some dance music, the laptop wasn't necessary it was an older crowd, but had the laptop to do a DJ role just in case. The pay for the job was renegotiated, I ask the customer were you happy she said no, "I was not happy, you didn't fire up the crowd enough for the Christmas singalong. Oh it's not your fault your friend usually plays this and we really like him. OK, thanks lady, now I'll crawl back into my hole and disappear

As I say I have new found respect for people like Mikey Maestro, Gary D., DNJ, Don M. Bill from Dayton and Joe Avayla( not sure of the spelling Joe) and any of you who gig full time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, now time to call it a day 5:30 AM is just 4 hours away. The good news is next week I'm playing gigs that are repeat business for me, so I won't have to crawl into a hole after playing them Yes there were lessons learned tonight for sure!!

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-11-2008).]

#250757 - 12/11/08 09:47 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Stephen
It happens...and, while not your fault that her power was not up to snuff, it doesn't sound like you held HER accountable...which in fact, was the case.

I understand the problem and how such employers couldn't care less about the challenge you faced.

Recently, I quit an Amvets that ignored my concerns about their over-taxed electrical outlets. If I have to share outlets with crockpots I am outa there.

Eddie

#250758 - 12/11/08 09:57 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Those things happen sometimes! I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It was the faulty wiring that caused the problem anyway. I always take along a little Radio Shack voltage tester to plug in and check to see if the current is right.

I had a bit of a bummer myself tonight.
I had a banquet for the Sheriff's Dept. at 5:00, then across town for my regular weeknight job at 7:00.
I have two of everything except keyboard right now, so I borrowed HankB's E50. I could leave everything set up after the first party and get it tomorrow, and leave everything at the second job so all I had to do was finish one, hop in the car and drive 5 minutes, walk in and start playing.
Everything went great, EXCEPT, I dropped Hank's keyboard on the floor while I was setting up and mashed the speaker grill. It didn't fall but about a foot, but made a nasty dent in the grill.
I'll have to see if there is a replacement part, or just buy him a new keyboard.
Glad it wasn't an Audya! I made enough tonight to buy an E50 if I have to, but it won't come to that. . . I hope . . . will it Hank?
Normally borrowing stuff is a big NO-NO but Hank is just like a daddy to me and we swap stuff around all the time. Just equipment, not women. Anymore
Oh, before anyone questions leaving the gear overnight, it's in the middle of the Sheriff's substation, locked, fenced and guarded!
DonM

P.S. By the way, Bose L1 owners, you may want to order a couple of spare fuse holders. I had one break and there is no place to get them except Bose. They are quite inexpensive, in fact they sent me a couple free. Can't be too careful

#250759 - 12/11/08 10:01 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Steve...I couldn't resist plugging into your story here, especially since I'm presently in a writing mood. You confirmed that I made the right decision to cut my schedule in half in Dec/2006. Can't deal with the "attitudes" any more. It was easier to "tighten my belt," accept a pay cut and spend more time at home enjoying myself playing the piano.

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 12-14-2008).]

#250760 - 12/11/08 10:06 PM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I'd really like to see this thread used as a platform to indulge other members here as to how they're adapting to the "new" audiences.

I've been a full time musician all my life and never thought I'd see the day when musician's became 2nd class citizens!

Anyone else feeling the crunch? Relative to what it used to be like!

Lucky

#250761 - 12/12/08 01:59 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Dnj Offline

Moral of the story....

never use an Agent

#250762 - 12/12/08 04:54 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I try to carry a spare everything in the van, spare amp, spare mic, etc.. At one point I even had a spare keyboard in a box, but I stopped carrying it along because I've never had a complete keyboard failure--ever.

As for being treated badly, that happened a couple times, but you just smile, take the check and say goodbye. These things happen, and more often than not when booked through an agent. Agents, at best, are frequently a pain in the ass. And, in this part of the world they tend to collect a very high fee, often as much as 40 percent. That's one of the many reasons I no longer book through agencies.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250763 - 12/12/08 04:56 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I have much respect for you guys that do this full time. I did the full time musician thing for a few years. The money was really good too.., but man the hours and stress can eat at you pretty fast. I did most of my playing in a group.., but did the OMB for a while. OMB was much easier IMO..., because with the group we had to schedule our practice sessions.., and they changed EVERY 3 hours because something somewhere was going on with another member... It was just nuts.., but the pay was good.

I think it's safe to say we've all run into some crazy issues such as this one posted here... I've got a few horror stories myself... Try having a beautiful (just a few months old) Korg Trinity..., and some dipsh&%^ (during the groups break) climbs on the stage (drunk) and spills a bottle of beer on your keyboard!

Much respect to you guys that continue to do this. I know that even now with the wife and child.., and other obligtations I don't even have the desire to do it part time. I still get calls and emails though asking me to sit in for this.. Pick up this regular gig (but just on weekends).... Thanks but "no thanks".
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250764 - 12/12/08 04:59 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Steve,

Sorry to hear about this one.

One more point to make. When booking a job, I am a stickler for managing expectations. I work a lot with Brides, Brides mothers, event planners, etc. it is MANDATORY for me to find out what they expect from me and what I expect from them in terms of facilities, schedule, sound, lighting, location, and the program. If I don't get that information (and it's in my contracts), I don't do the job. If I do a club and the owner expects me to pack the dance floor for 4 hours, then that's what I do.

The other thing you should look at Steve, is a power conditioner for your setup. I always use an ARC Power conditioner which maintains good clean power for my keyboards and amp. Make sure it's the right wattage (1000) for your equipment. I'm sure you've learned this lesson now! LOL

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#250765 - 12/12/08 05:11 AM Re: Well it's official I won't be quitting my day job for a career in music
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I feel your pain, pal!

My contribution to this thread is a story about an agency gig that was dropped on me on the morning of the day of the event. Mind you, this was less than 3 months into me doing this full time, and if I only knew then what I know now, lol...Anyway, Agency out of Cbus calls...another guy got sick, could I drive to Columbus in time for an afternoon business party? Party started at 5:00pm, yes, I can make it. Got the directions and contact info. I went to my 1st gig that afternoon in Dayton, then headed straight to Cbus.

The description provided to me by the agency was, "very basic holiday party from 5-7...yes, they want vocals."

I arrive at the club, meet the contact exchange pleasantries and set up with time to spare. At 5:00pm I begin to play some Christmas songs...mixing a few non holiday jazz things in to break it up a bit...I notice that people are looking at me kinda funny, which I'm used to, but something was up and I didn't know quite what.

Finally, the contact strolls over to me and says "Bill, you're brilliantly talented and have a great voice, but didn't the talent agency tell you what group you'd be performing for?" I explain that I'd gotten the call at the last minute and things had been rather rushed to put this together. The she says, "Ok, you're performing for a jewish business association gathering. I suggest you stick to the non Christmas stuff, ok?"

I felt like a fool and appreciated the grace with which she handled it. She said she totally understood how things had been rushed and that no one was offended at all.

2 hours work, $300 plus a $50 tip and an annual stream of private parties from that night...(Non agency, of course, lol...)

Carry on!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-12-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-12-2008).]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online