SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250399 - 12/06/08 01:22 PM Some of my favorites...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Lots of times on the "Zone", we let the testosterone take over and get into silly pissing matches. I think we all basically like each other, but sometimes get caught up in the moment.

I want to let you folks know that there are people here who, for a variety of reasons, are ones I'd like to recognize for their accomplishments in the music field. They listed here in no particular order. And, remember, this is a totally subjective list, reflecting my musical preferences and the fact that I can only comment on those I've heard. I'm sure I'm missing some great players/entertainers. That being said, here we go:

1. Dave MCMahan. He keeps the B-3 tradition alive. He's a great player, who chooses his materials with taste, and performs like the pro he is.

2. Don Mason. Country isn't my favorite music, but this guy not only sings as well as the best of the historical giants, his ability emulating steel on a keyboard is awsome. I can imagine the collective "good feelings" his audiences have after hearing him perform. He deserves the title "gentleman Don".

3. Chris Valenti: A modern Geno Vanelli/Stevie Wonder. Great voice, the right look and the right creativity to earn a well-deserved place on my list.

4. Dave Boyd. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and his compassion shows when he's at a keyboard and behind a mic. Maby not the worlds best on either keys or vocals, but when he puts it all together, he's "world class". (Really wish he's treat his little Kentucky "filly" better, though-she's about to spend that welfare check and stop waiting for him).

5. Chico Brazil. I'm really a fan of Bossa, and my friend from South America performs with such a smooth delivery and sincerity that he makes me miss my long-time partmer and teacher, Tommy Johnston. Tommy was a police judge in the day and a killer B-3 player at night, who specialized in and taught me about the Bossa, jazz and life. I can imagine Chico would be the perfect replacement for Tommy.

6. Diki. Controversial, yes. But, strip away a little hardened crust, and you've got a sensitive, real player, who is passionate about his involvement in the music field and speaks his mind with clarity, in a literate fashion. Fantastic musician.

7. Nigel. The guy is a joy to watch on the stage. He has no expectations of ever being a headliner, but really holds his own with his band. Music is a release for him and he has a ball, while performing at national quality level on both keys and guitar. He works as a world class gaming programmer, has overcome a physical situation none of us ever wants to endure, maintains this great site, and still "rocks" like a champ.

8. Rory. This guy can handle any venue. He's in Nashville, and I'd place him among the best in the group of studio musicians there. Early on, I assumed he only played gospel and country, and appreciated his ability in those fields. Then, he posted some jazz versions of country classics that made me re-think my "elitest" view of not liking country and
and gospel. Hes faced some personal challenges, and that makes him a person even more deserving of my respect. I think we'll be hearing a lot about Rory from Nashville, and hope he's in town next year so we can meet and visit at Summer NAMM.

9/10/11. Dennis (Miden), Dreamer and Chas. Have not heard enough from these guys, but, from their posts and the word on the "street", they are players to be admired. I'm going to make an effort to get with Chas next year in Atlanta, and wish Dennis wasn't halfway around the world. Dreamer always says he's a physician, not a "pro".I totally disagree...really like his stuff.

I'm sure there are lots of good players/musicians I haven't mentioned. Absolutely no "slight" intended. But, here, from vastly different backgrounds, ages, geographies and approaches, are some of my real favorites.

I'd be honored to share a bandstand with you folks. And, I'm glad we have this place to share our expertise, experience and friendship. Just wish we'd all think twice before letting the unintended "meanness" surface.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-06-2008).]

#250400 - 12/06/08 04:45 PM Re: Some of my favorites...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
In no particular order.

1. Dave MCMahan. Primarily an organ player (in the Hammond tradition) so he automatically makes the list.

2. Capt. Russ. See above.

3. Diki. We know he's a good pianist but I have had the privilege of hearing him lay down some very tasteful organ tracks (and he didn't even have the benefit of a C1 or Electro ).

4. Rory. Any Country player that is skilled enough (NOT A PUTDOWN) and versatile enough to hold his own in a jazz setting has got to make MY LIST.

5. Chris Valenti. The most 'soulful' voice on the board. Could front a lot of groups in a lot of different genre's.

I tend to like those slightly outside the mainstream. I know in my bones that there are many fine musicians on this board that I just have not heard in performance. Perhaps, like me, they don't perform arranger music and therefore don't think it would be of interest to most on this board, or maybe are just reluctant to post music in genre's that would not be relevant or particularly well-received on this board. Just a thought.

chas

#250401 - 12/07/08 04:40 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have to say my favorites would be Donny, Fran and Squeak.

They always make this forum an interesting and entertaining place to visit.

Ian

#250402 - 12/07/08 06:11 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
Dnj Offline

I say get the lock ready this is gonna get ugly real fast. Without seeing anyone perform or anyone posting anything who can say anything. And when someone finally take the time & post something no one replies anyway.....eg:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018719.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-07-2008).]

#250403 - 12/07/08 06:28 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
ianmcnll Offline

Another favorite of mine is Gary Diamond, who not only does a great job of performing with his arranger, but has always been very helpful with technical issues.

Ian

#250404 - 12/07/08 06:43 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I say get the lock ready this is gonna get ugly real fast.

Can't imagine that happening, Donny...this seems like a great thread to me.

I should also say two of the greatest contributors to my arranger useage would be Michael Bedesem and Jørgen Sørensen who make the coolest software.

Most important of all is Nigel...without him we wouldn't have this great site.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-07-2008).]

#250405 - 12/07/08 06:59 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
Dnj Offline

There is a think line between the words "BEST" & "FAVORITES" for Pissin contest fuel........But,

If I had to vote, Fran Carango without a doubt would be on top of my list followed by Uncle Dave, Gary Diamond, Don Mason,
Dan O, AJ, Scott Yee, Mike Sutliff, Nigel, Rikki, Tony W, Tommy F, Russ lay .....as far as what they have done to help me in my world? There isn't enough room here to post it.

Happy Holidays!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-09-2008).]

#250406 - 12/07/08 09:51 AM Re: Some of my favorites...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm not sure this is going in the direction Russ intended. I think the subtlety of Russ's original post might be getting lost.

chas

#250407 - 12/07/08 02:24 PM Re: Some of my favorites...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, great post. I'm not going to name favorites, I've found many folks here most helpful. I gotta say Captain you deserve kudos, for your a high energy, non stop level of activity being it with your business, music and cars/motor vehicles. If I can do about 25% what you're doing when I get to your age, I'll have a lot to be grateful for. Keep up the great work!!

#250408 - 12/07/08 06:26 PM Re: Some of my favorites...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Well, this has been fun..............

cya

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online