SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250212 - 12/04/08 05:55 PM Saying goodbye is hard to do...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been working since I was 10 years old, and most of my life I've worked 7 days a week, and an 8-hour day would have been a short day. I've done just about everything a person could ever want to do, I've been to more than 100 countries, visited nearly every state in the U.S., you name it and there's a good chance I've done it at least once.

Along the way I've made lots of friends, some of which are entertainers and musicians who frequent the Synthzone and PSR Tutorial, and I've been lucky enough to meet several in person. Unfortunately, some of them are no longer with us and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of them.

This past year has been especially difficult with the passing of several close friends and a few relatives. Now, at age 68, I decided to spend more time with my wife, my children and grandson. I hope to enjoy what little life I have left, and cut back on the number of music jobs I perform each year. Cutting back from 350 jobs to 200 jobs meant having to tell some long-time clients that I will no longer be able to perform for them.

Those of us that have been doing this for a full-time living are keenly aware that a significant number of their audience members are almost like family. One of the senior centers where I have performed every other month for nearly a decade was among the locations that I decided would be on the cut list. I know everyone there on a first name basis.

On Wednesday I played their annual Christmas party for the last time. And, just before playing the last song I announced this would be my last performance, and that I was going into semi-retirement. (I informed the center director of my decision three months earlier, but she asked me not to tell anyone until the last performance.) The last song I performed was My Way, which resulted in a standing ovation. There wasn't a dry eye in the room, including mine.

Nearly 100 people came up to me and said they wished I would change my mind, shook my hand, gave me hugs and kisses and wished me well. The center director called today and said if I decided to change my mind there is always a place for me there.

This was a very difficult decision to make, but one that I sincerely believe all of us will eventually have to make in the not too distant future. There will come a day when we will no longer have the physical and mental ability to perform at the same, hectic schedule we now enjoy. When that time comes, and believe me you will know when it comes, you will have to bid a fond farewell to some wonderful people you've met along the way. Saying goodbye to them is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life.

I'll be cutting out a number of other performance locations during the next few weeks. I'll be saying goodbye to some very dear friends. As the post indicates, saying goodbye is hard to do.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250213 - 12/04/08 06:02 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, what an experience, as you told the story I could visualize what a difficult thing that is to do with folks who have become like family. It speaks volumes about you as a person and entertainer. Now please tell us you are not semi-retiring from SZ. You've been a valuable source of information to us all and I appreciate the phone calls with your advice.

Best wishes and have a Happy Holiday season and a Merry Christmas.

#250214 - 12/04/08 06:22 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Gary,
Every good thing must come to an end and nothing like losing close friends or relatives causes one to stop and take stock of what is going on in thier life. Good luck Gary - I know you will miss the work. When I retired I played golf every day for about 8 months and soon discovered I had to do something or I would go nuts.

I figure at 68 I am just getting started. I am building my music business and my real estate business is doing very well -- both keep me as busy as I want to be. My daughter is having triplets in February so I guess my life is just beginning - even at 68.

Keep us posted - you are a dear forum friend.

Hammer

#250215 - 12/04/08 06:53 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Grab a dictionary and look up "good human."

You'll find a nice picture of Gary, there...

Enjoy your partial retirement, pal...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#250216 - 12/04/08 06:57 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
zuki Offline

Moses would be mad at you But having 200 jobs is not exactly retirement. Isn't it nice to have something you enjoy during the golden years.

Happy Holidays

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#250217 - 12/04/08 07:11 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Wow Gary, I have tears in my eyes. I've gotten to know you fairly well in the last year and you are one of those very special people. You enjoy giving more that receiveing. I'm sure you feel as I do that in the past few years, we have really found our place. I played night clubs all over the place for many years but never did I find the love and satisfactcion that I enjoy today than when I started playing the NH or retirement community circuit. Here we have found a group of people that really appreciate what we have to offer and they give that back in love and appreciation. I truly dread the day that I have to start cutting back, because, in all honesty, I'm having the time of my life. Your posts here have been an inspiration to me and I hope we can get together for lunch after the first of the year. You are a true gentleman and a performer of the first rate.

All the best!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#250218 - 12/04/08 07:46 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Gary,

I feel honored that you shared that heartwarming story with us. It immediately reminded me of; "It's a wonderful Life". And the impact we have on people in our lives.

Just think of how many people we have touched with our entertainment over the years. I can only hope somewhere sometime someone is thinking back to a performance you did and the impact you had on their lives.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#250219 - 12/04/08 08:05 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
Gary,enjoy life as it goes along do things you like to do,music will never leave you, it is in your blood ,i have learned a lot from your posts.wish you well in your future, i am76 now and still a midi idiot, best regards,Benno

#250220 - 12/04/08 10:00 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Wayda go, Gary... you're a class act for sure. Good luck.

Glenn

#250221 - 12/04/08 10:22 PM Re: Saying goodbye is hard to do...
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
gary,

yes, there is a time for everything. including times like this, when you really have to be strong and take decissions you do not like. but what always stays with us is our memories. if those are gone, well, i suppose nothing matter anyway.

so, enjoy your music and your family and your friends, every day is a new day and we should fully benefit of it! blessings!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online