SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250100 - 12/02/08 10:32 AM transposing chords
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
When I want a new song to perform I uselly go on line to find the lyrics and cords for it... some times the song is in the wrong key for me and I would like to transpose it like from a D# to a C and then I can print it out for my practice session. Thanks a bunch for any help you may come up with :~)

#250101 - 12/02/08 10:45 AM Re: transposing chords
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
These may be helpful to you.

http://www.simusic.com/transpose.html

http://www.simusic.com/transpose.htmlhttp://logue.net/xp/

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-02-2008).]

#250102 - 12/02/08 11:24 AM Re: transposing chords
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
When I was doing a lot of transposing I would write down the scale for the key the piece was written in and underneath it write down the scale of the key I wanted it in ... all notes/chords would then correspond ...
t.

#250103 - 12/02/08 12:38 PM Re: transposing chords
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Try www.chordie.com
All songs with chords can be trasposed before you print.

#250104 - 12/02/08 01:36 PM Re: transposing chords
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
If you have Band In a Box, you can enter the chords and then transpose the song. It will even give you a lead sheet printout.

#250105 - 12/02/08 02:59 PM Re: transposing chords
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been using Chordie.com for a long time--excellent site.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250106 - 12/02/08 03:30 PM Re: transposing chords
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Why not take a little time to understand the different keys and their related chords -- Then transposing becomes easier. The alternative is to carry the burden of not understanding keys and their related chords leaving you at a loss. It is also important when working with chord progressions.

Learn one thing about music that leaves you ready to take another step higher something you love to do.

My opinion, John C.

#250107 - 12/02/08 05:12 PM Re: transposing chords
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unless there's a LOT of inter-song transposition and some pretty whacked out chords, I am a big believer in the number system. Instead of learning C-F-G-Am, you learn what they are relationally, and then learn the song 1-4-5-6m, and now you can play it in any key you want...

It's a big part of Nashville sessions, and helps you quickly understand the relationship between chords, and once you understand the relationship, you start to understand the 'WHY' of a chord sequence. Once you understand the 'WHY', you are beginning to get to the core of what music is about....

#250108 - 12/02/08 06:36 PM Re: transposing chords
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John C and Diki ... excellent suggestions ...
t.

#250109 - 12/03/08 04:04 AM Re: transposing chords
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Unless there's a LOT of inter-song transposition and some pretty whacked out chords, I am a big believer in the number system. Instead of learning C-F-G-Am, you learn what they are relationally, and then learn the song 1-4-5-6m, and now you can play it in any key you want...

It's a big part of Nashville sessions, and helps you quickly understand the relationship between chords, and once you understand the relationship, you start to understand the 'WHY' of a chord sequence. Once you understand the 'WHY', you are beginning to get to the core of what music is about....

Diki,
That is what I do, but I haven't used the number system ever. I try to find the rlationship of the chords relative to their position on the keyboard.

There are many songs that go Am - F - Dm - E or G.... (I can only easily play on the C scale only), or maybe Dm - F - G - Am or Am - F - G - E or variations of those.

Often find myself playing a "new" song and depending on the first two chords, I can guess the others easily most of the time.

That works for songs I have in my mind, but trasposing or "reading" from a fake book chart is another matter. What I do is take the first chord and apply the "relativity" of each chord to the others in the song (which I have easily figured out in C), but starting on the different first chord. Sometimes works out easily, sometimes not. Things like F#m followed by Bbm kill me instantly!!! Can't put my fingers onthe right keys!

Have seen the "circle of fifths" mentioned before, never took the time to study it. Is it worth the time?

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 12-03-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online