SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249980 - 11/30/08 02:48 PM Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Right now, I own the Psr-S900. I was wondering if I had the chance to upgrade to its top of the line family, the Tyros 3, would that really be a worthwhile move? Those of you who upgraded from the Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 are really pleased overall with it ?? Any comments are welcome. Telmo.

------------------

#249981 - 11/30/08 04:07 PM Re: Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the reasons why i would upgrade:

- much better keybed
- aftertouch
- lots of new synth sounds from the Motif XS
- all the 'live' drum kits are re done.
- ability to layer 3 voices

every other category has new and improved sounds but the 5 things I listed above would be the reasons why I would make the change.

If i had a tyros 2 I probably wouldnt do it, but I remember my PSR 3000 and i hated the key feel and the fact it had no aftertouch!

hope this helps?
Nick

#249982 - 11/30/08 04:23 PM Re: Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I drove 142 mile (round trip) to play Tyros 3 at Sam Ash in the Dolphin Mall in Miami. After playing for 1 ½ hours, using my Bose earphones, here are my thoughts.

None of this is based on dollars.
If you are going from the S900 to the Tyros 3 you will enjoy the keyboard. You will go from a inexpensive feel to a quality feel. (The keys) The over all sound is richer, fuller and to me. The number of styles and instrument sounds are worth the making the change. 2nd party changes are nice but they do not compare.

The Ty3 made me feel like playing, I have not felt like that since my KN7000. I was comfortable with the OTS settings they were more like the intro and style variations. One of my main reasons for upgrading to a TY3 or a TY2 will be because of the screen clarity and size. Yes I can slant my S900 so I can see the screen better but no comparison, the Ty3 is big and beautiful. I am sure that if I went into the deeper part of the Tyros 3 I would have found more reason to want to buy it.

Moving from Ty2 to a Ty3 is another question. More improvements then the styles and instruments would be needed -- I had no time for that.
My opinion, if you are going to stay with Yamaha then step up, grow with the company. (Not taking dollars into account) I was never unhappy when I stepped up, some models improved greater than others but they were all going in a positive direction.

I played the Roland top of the line and a korg e60 (I think). What has been said on the forum about the sound being in your face is true – My ears told me, you know the way I hear it, that they sounded more like a live band, but I felt the Band needed some improvement. I hope that does not make anyone unhappy.

In time I will buy a Ty3 when the frenzy is over, John C.

#249983 - 11/30/08 04:38 PM Re: Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Telmo:
Right now, I own the Psr-S900. I was wondering if I had the chance to upgrade to its top of the line family, the Tyros 3, would that really be a worthwhile move? Those of you who upgraded from the Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 are really pleased overall with it ?? Any comments are welcome. Telmo.

Depends on how much you can get a T3 for and what you need in a keyboard. Want to record directly to the board. T3 is far better then the USB audio recording. If you use strings a lot T3 has far more.

You have more control over the sounds and mixes. Far more voices as well.

I think $4k may not be worth the jump if you are not going to use EVERYTHING the T3 has to offer. If you can get one for $2500 out of pocket in addition to the S900 I think you will be very happy.

But you have to use it all and need it all otherwise just stay with the S900 or keep it and spend the money on a PA800 to go with.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249984 - 12/01/08 09:52 AM Re: Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
My main concern is about using it at church congregations. I feel very confortable playing the Psr-S900 live. Is the Tyros 3 too much heavy to move around comparing with the S900? When you guys say it has a better key-feel, you mean is sturdier, has more weigh in it? Thanks for all the comments. Telmo.

------------------

#249985 - 12/02/08 04:18 AM Re: Is the upgrade from Psr-S900 to Tyros 3 really worth?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the key feel is more sturdier. the keys dont rattle or shake if u slide your fingers along them up or down the keyboard.

the action is just much better. its stronger and the springs are just better quality.

it is much easier to control the super articulation voices and be more expressive on the Tyros than on the PSR boards...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online