SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249890 - 11/30/08 06:26 AM Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Please be objective. I'm aware there are a number of great arrangers available. I don't gig or haul the "board" around. I simply need a new machine to help me write new material and prepare demos to pitch to artists looking for new material. I never perform.

What is important to me now? 1. Capability to play styles from just about any source or media. 2. Great sounding voices/instruments. 3. USB connectivity including inputs and outputs. 4. A decent sized hard drive and a floppy drive. (if still available) 5. A large visual display interface. (my eyes are going south fast) 6. Compact size due to space constraints. (This is not a show stopper) 7. Cost is very important to me. 8. Speakers are not an issue. I use headphones to monitor recording sessions and then transport thru a digital recorder to a PC for edits. (With newer PCs and software available, the digital recorder will probably "go away" 'cause I don't do tracks.) I simply "re-cut" the song until I am satisfied.

Please don't start another P***ing contest. I'm only looking for rational input.

Thanks, Dave

#249891 - 11/30/08 09:49 AM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
Please be objective. I'm aware there are a number of great arrangers available. I don't gig or haul the "board" around. I simply need a new machine to help me write new material and prepare demos to pitch to artists looking for new material. I never perform.

What is important to me now? 1. Capability to play styles from just about any source or media. 2. Great sounding voices/instruments. 3. USB connectivity including inputs and outputs. 4. A decent sized hard drive and a floppy drive. (if still available) 5. A large visual display interface. (my eyes are going south fast) 6. Compact size due to space constraints. (This is not a show stopper) 7. Cost is very important to me. 8. Speakers are not an issue. I use headphones to monitor recording sessions and then transport thru a digital recorder to a PC for edits. (With newer PCs and software available, the digital recorder will probably "go away" 'cause I don't do tracks.) I simply "re-cut" the song until I am satisfied.

Please don't start another P***ing contest. I'm only looking for rational input.

Thanks, Dave

Yamaha..... As a songwriter the most important thing will be finding the right styles to base from. The Yamaha style library is without peer. The IDC allows you to find a style you may not have on the Yamaha website RIGHT FROM THE KEYBOARD if you have a router using LAN technology ....you don't have to get up, or disrupt the creative process by suddenly having to create a style not being a pro drummer,bass player, horn/string arranger etc.

IF you want to create styles, buy a real workstation with phrases and a host of Arps and create all the parts or use loop based Software and assemble audio styles.

For me it was about the style availability first. I returned a perfectly good Korg PA2x in favor of a mega style library and web support from a variety of sources and Yamaha User groups.

The PSR900 is the least expensive and offers a lot in terms of sound quality and the same features you will find even on the $3000 Tyros 3. IF you can afford a Tyros, get one you won;t be sorry as a songwriter...As a live performer the Korg PA series is best as it offers a host of live features like a built in cross fading mixer allowing playback of MIDI sequences and/or MP3 from dual sources. XLR mike inputs and Harmonizer (although I would opt for an external Mixer and Harmonizer for live use)

No matter what you choose make sure the style support is what you want. A great sounding Arranger keyboard is like an uber fast computer without having to learn or mess with complicated software allowing you as a writer to concentrate fully on the song, the craft, melody and lyric.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-30-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249892 - 11/30/08 10:09 AM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Mediastation with the qranger: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/information_pages.php?info_id=34
Add then one external 22" display and you are able to write the all songs/styles audio-midi and play it in realtime with the keyboard.

If you are able to use SEQ like Cubase, Logic, Reaper..then the Qranger is about the same stuff.
After recorded the session, the MS Qranger engine will play it with the all standard arranger features.

#249893 - 11/30/08 10:17 AM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
Please be objective.

Budget?

#249894 - 11/30/08 01:48 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You are expecting objectivity from this fanatic bunch of 'You MUST use what I use!" mixed bunch of amateurs, pros and some that can hardly play at all?

Unless they are asking you all kinds of questions ('what style of music do you intend to write in?' might be a good one ), all they are telling you is what THEY use. Are they any good? Do you like what they have posted? Do they answer EVERY inquiry with the same arranger? You need to ask YOURSELF these questions.

Asking for objectivity here is like asking for bipartisanship in Washington...

Just NOT going to happen

#249895 - 11/30/08 02:09 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You are expecting objectivity from this fanatic bunch of 'You MUST use what I use!" mixed bunch of amateurs, pros and some that can hardly play at all?

Unless they are asking you all kinds of questions ('what style of music do you intend to write in?' might be a good one ), all they are telling you is what THEY use. Are they any good? Do you like what they have posted? Do they answer EVERY inquiry with the same arranger? You need to ask YOURSELF these questions.

Asking for objectivity here is like asking for bipartisanship in Washington...

Just NOT going to happen

All due respect, but how exactly does a response like this really help Dave? For all your legitimate knowledge and talent, you are really becoming a broken record...

What arranger do you suggest and why?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#249896 - 11/30/08 02:26 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
If you truly are an original score songwriter then the best arranger would be one where every single parameter is customizable, and in my opinion that may be Korgs. I don't know why a pure songwriter would even want an arranger. Whatever you get will be canned output. A better option would be a synth workstation with sampling options paired with a computer. Arrangers are best when you want simple, repetative compositions-scratchpad, not for vast, complex compositions. I find arrangers to actually hinder the creative process-for me.
-just my opinion

#249897 - 11/30/08 02:31 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Dave,

I can only recommend the instruments I know well, and the first one would be the Yamaha Tyros3, which has a 80 gig HD as standard.

You are then privy to a vast 3rd party support system for styles, generally free of charge, as well as being able to purchase styles from Yamaha's IDC network.

If you want to spend less, as cost(#7) is important to you, then a second hand Yamaha Tyros2 with a HD would be my second recommendation.

Also, you could consider a Yamaha PSR-S900 which does not have a HD but instead uses a USB Flash-drive, which some find more convenient.

The latter two still allow you access to great 3rd party support.

Ian

#249898 - 11/30/08 02:33 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
How many times must it be said "GET OUT THERE AND TEST DRIVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN!!!"

t.

#249899 - 11/30/08 04:52 PM Re: Best Arranger for Non-performing Songwriter?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Interesting replies... so far. Please remember, my key description is that of a NON-PERFORMING songwriter. I make demos and send them to just about everywhere in order to attract artists to do covers of my work. I write in several genres. An arranger keyboard allows me to capture ideas quickly, get the song recorded and begin "whittling" on it until it sounds and feels like it will work.

Have a "peek" at some of my songs:
http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/DaveRice

Thanks for your responses. Someone questioned the "validity" of using a keyboard and styles. Would you ask Frank Sinatra to direct the orchestra, write the score and play all the instruments or do all the arrangements when he performed?

To me, having an arranger is like having your own personal orchestra, band or just a single piano for backing. Of course, I tweak the styles and try to zero in on making the instruments "fit" the composition. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I completely "bomb out." What counts to me, is that I am closing in on 700 completely original songs without having to go into a studio and pay $500 bucks a pop.

Best, Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online