SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249652 - 11/28/08 11:51 AM Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man.., have any of you guys/gals noticed how many B-Stock (blemished) and Factory Resealed keyboards these online sites are pushing..???? You see all these keyboard specials showing up on the sites, but often you'd expect to see something such as an actual sale on a new item.., to find these sale items are all B-Stock and Resealed merchandise.

What's more alarming is how so much of the NEW just released keyboards show up on the sites as blemished or resealed. I could swear I've seen several B-stock/Resealed Roland GW-8's and even Juno Stage's (geez that bloody Stage is still an infant).

It's alarming the number of people out there who buy a keyboard (just to try it out) and return it within 45 days (wow freaking 45 days to bang on that thing and make a decision-apparantly it takes 45 days for the average person to do this now). A lot can happen to a keyboard that has been banged on for 30 days or more.., even a week or a few days.

Then people are buying these things (just for one time use) and returning them for a refund! I had it out with someone about 2 weeks ago. The a-hole (sorry for the word, but what he did makes him one). He wanted a good synth for a project he and few others were working on, but didn't have any intention of keeping it. So he ponies up his credit card and buys a Korg M3. His plan was to use it for 2 weeks.., to get what he needed out of it and then return it! His plan was also NOT to open any manual packages or included software. He was going to download the manual from Korg's site for reference. THAT'S MESSED UP!

You gotta watch too because if some of the keyboards bought and returned appear to have no signs of wear.., all documents still mint and crisp, and have not been registered.., the retailer will turn around reseal the box and sell it as new (even though someone had banged out on it).
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#249653 - 11/28/08 12:34 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Some retailers actually sell new stock advertised as B stock. It's a way of selling new stock at a discount at the same time a way of keeping the manufacturers off their backs.

#249654 - 11/28/08 12:36 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
That has been a long time abuse...I am in favor of no returns for this reason...Since I have a background as a music retailer..I know first hand the 30 day, and 45 day returns are a big disaster...and folks complain about a restocking fee...it is seldom recovered by the retailer..Smart stores say NO to returns...

Do your homework first..then buy.....How many people return their automobiles......???

If I buy something..I will resale it...not make me a fool in another dealers eyes, by returning it....

#249655 - 11/28/08 12:40 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah it's been a long time abuse Fran, but lately you sure do see a lot of B-Stock and Factory Sealed merchandise for sale. Makes you wonder if the retailers are now using these items to push their sales up considering that due to the times someone may be more inclined to save a few bucks on a B-Stock or Resealed item who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the item priced as new.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#249656 - 11/28/08 01:10 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi,

Its not just keyboards with this issue.

I just purchased an Ovation idea guitar and had to return it for another because of severe cosmetic blemishes. I was shocked to see one like this out of the box! The second one had issues also but I kept it. Not the quality I remember from this company.

Manufactured in CHINA or KOREA as most musical instruments are these days. I do not think the companies check what is being shipped to customers often enough.

Maybe it is NOT so much people returning them for no good reason but people returning them because they truely are flawed?

I had to return my MZ2000 3 times before I got one that was not broken. Then I sold it LOL!

I never returned an instrument for a refund.

-Linda

#249657 - 11/28/08 04:17 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I was tuning a Piano at Donald Trump’s Florida home Mar Largo. It was a large black grand which a customers had left at a piano store on consignment, she did not know the store was renting the piano and did not receive any of the rental.
Pure profit, the customer paid for the moving and rental –100% profit for the store.

John C.

#249658 - 11/28/08 06:55 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You've all quite happily benefited from online discounts for a while now... But now you are beginning to see the Dark Side. Now that online retailers have all but shut down brick and mortar store, and many of them refuse to carry TOTL and even MOTL arrangers, as being far too 'niche' a market, the ONLY way you can even try things like PA2Xpro's and E60's etc. is to actually buy them, then return them and pay your restocking fee as a 'demo fee'.

So it is hardly surprising to see lots of opened and B-stock items available...

Support your local store, quit using online retailers to save yourself just a few bucks, and perhaps things will change for the better. Otherwise, better get used to this..

#249659 - 11/28/08 07:05 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Actually, some dealers sell brand new items as used to make it easier to sell. Right out of the words of a Gibson guitar rep.

I was also aware of piano dealers taking a brand new piano and damaging the case by hitting it with a chain as an excuse to discout it!

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-28-2008).]

#249660 - 11/29/08 07:08 AM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
Dnj Offline

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008448574_shop290.html

If you must, Online is definity the way to shop today regardless...

#249661 - 11/29/08 12:51 PM Re: Disturbing Trend (online retailers).....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After dealing with Rondo music for three days trying to place an order, and being told that they simply will not take a phone order, I'm only going to buy on-line if I absolutely have to. Rondo has unique things, like a reasonably priced case for a flying V, a hardshell case for a double-neck guitar, a neat little lap steel with a stand. But, the hoops these idiots have you jump through is not acceptable. They get my vote as the worst retailer I've ever dealt with.

I've had terrible experiences with Rondo, Overstock.com and Amazon.com. Looks like it's follow their rules, fill in all the blanks perfectly and then hold onto your ass.

Makes me appreciate Frank and George much more.

R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online