SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249110 - 11/24/08 12:47 PM My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I downloaded the new 2.0 and the new resource 2.0 into my store's PA800 and left the PA2Xpro with the old operating system so I could compare sounds, styles, and most importantly the fill in volume issue.

Thank you Korg! You've made a lot of people happy!

First, all the fill-ins now have the same volume levels at all the variations. Many of you have complained for years that when you hit a fill in on most styles, the volume of the fill is louder than the variation you are playing or the one you are filling to.

Next, when you turn on the keyboard after loading in the operating system, the screen looks different and there is a new technology called "DNC"(defined nuance control) which shows up on the boot up screen. This technology does more what Yamaha's superarticulation does. You can play in the polyphonic mode, but the keys can also be played in Legato mode creating a more realisitic trumpet, sax, etc. There is also lot's of new scat voices, strings, guitars, etc. featuring this technology.

There are all new Performance memories and the original ones from version 1 are still available in the "sfx" bank.

I also played a standard midi file and I have the choice of now seing lyrics, notes (any track, bass or treble cleff) and combination of the two. If chords were in the song, you will also see the chord letters and types. If there are no chords, it will not show up like the Rolands can generate a chord track.

For customers needing user tunings such as middle eastern chords, there are now 4 pre-set scale tunings in the main display for quick changes.

There are many other new features which I have not checked out so far.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#249111 - 11/24/08 01:06 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks George,
Santa's come early for Korg PA800/PA2x owners.
Appreciate the review.
I'm off to download.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by George Kaye:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#249112 - 11/24/08 01:17 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
George thanks for the review. Looks like there's some great new features in OS2. You know what I'll be doing tonight once I leave the day job

#249113 - 11/24/08 04:15 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thank you George. I'm always uneasy about upgrading immediatly when a new OS is offered. Your review will make it easier for me. I'm looking forward to your additional comments.
Ciao,
Jerry
P.S. Has anyone upgraded the Midjay and/or Midjay Plus? I'd be interested in comments about Ketron's new OS's as well.

#249114 - 11/24/08 04:34 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for the mini-review/first impressions George.

One thing, I wish Korg HAD put in the "Chord Generator" ability of the Rolands - now THAT would've been handy, as it is, I don't understand why the showing chords thing (if they're embedded in the file) is a *new* feature as, as far as I'm aware, my PA1-X already has the ability to do that...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#249115 - 11/24/08 04:45 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
One thing, I wish Korg HAD put in the "Chord Generator" ability of the Rolands - now THAT would've been handy, as it is, I don't understand why the showing chords thing (if they're embedded in the file) is a *new* feature as, as far as I'm aware, my PA1-X already has the ability to do that...

100% correct Hellboy.. It could do that from OS 1.5 on the PA1xPro...Provided they were in the correct format

And you know, if you do a search on the Korg forums, not ONE person asked for score reading/display...ever!! So where did that one come from?

They would be far better off fixing how it displays text lyrics (an issue since OS 1.1 on the original PA1)..In fact, imo, they should change it so you can load .RTF files,or even .BMP files.
The software system they are using is quite capable of dealing with those formats, Korg just won't program them in.

At least that way chord symbols above the line would stay above the correct lyric instead of being all squashed to the left when it's loaded!!! (There is a workaround, but it's ugly!)

Anyway, I had a look at the update sheet and it seems like a decent upgrade apart from all that, so owners should be happy overall.

Now if Korg can only admit to and fix hardware issues with early release PA2xPros....but THAT, is another story

Dennis

#249116 - 11/24/08 04:57 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dennis,
I agree about the lyrics display issue...the chords.

What are the .bmp and .rtf files? I've heard of that type, but don't remember what they are?

Also, we have it from Jerry at Korg USA that it is a top priority to get to the bottem of the rare user of PA2XPRO with hardware LED failures/lockup. Mine has never had a HW issue at all. Got it in March.

Lee

#249117 - 11/24/08 06:53 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
The OS also has a Grave Bug on the PA800.
Confirmed byt at least 15-20 people till now.
It has problems when using User Drum Kits.
This is just another dissapointment, as Denis
says, they didnt give us what we wanted but they
gave us what they wanted to give.

[This message has been edited by Nedim (edited 11-24-2008).]

#249118 - 11/24/08 06:57 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
The OS also has a Grave Bug on the PA800.
Confirmed byt at least 15-20 people till now.
It has problems when using User Drum Kits.
This is just another dissapointment, as Denis
says, they didnt give us what we wanted but they
gave us what they wanted to give.

[This message has been edited by Nedim (edited 11-24-2008).]

Korg have done this on purpose to give an excuse for even ANOTHER OS upgrade

while they are at it the might just add some new coolness into the PA boards

i just cant wait to get home today from work to try the new OS!!

#249119 - 11/24/08 07:23 PM Re: My Report of Korg's new 2.0 Software!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
IMHO, My thoughts are that OS2 was already planned out even when they started shipping the PA800/PA2XPRO. Large companys typically have a long term plan and I think we just saw in OS2 what has been in work for a long time.

Now, we can hope that all of our bugs/concerns/improvements will be considered.

OS2 was a nice addition to my PA, and I'm grateful to have it..not on to some pressing matters for OS 2.1 etc.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online