SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#248813 - 11/20/08 08:33 PM Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Anyone demo this yet?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoloAmp/

Any info on if it would be good for KB's in addition to guitar players?

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#248814 - 11/20/08 09:49 PM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Dnj Offline

#248815 - 11/21/08 06:02 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, not the Solo, but I did hear the Fishman Combo this summer outdoors and the guy was playing guitar and singing thru it. It sounded pretty d*** good to me.

#248816 - 11/21/08 06:46 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There was a post several months ago about this one and the general consensus was that it was a great guitar amp, but mediocre at best for keyboards. Additionally, you would still need to purchase a powered subwoofer, and the rated power was peak power--not RMS. At $900 with no sub, relatively low power, you get a better bang for the buck if you purchase the old model Bose L1.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#248817 - 11/21/08 06:54 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Bill in Dayton Offline

After searching for a few hours last night and this morning, I couldn't find one instance of a keyboard player using this system. So I called Fishman Transducers directly up in Massachusetts. I spoke to a guy names Erik in their technical support. His comments basically distill down to the following:

1) It was designed/built to be a guitar amp system...Not a keyboard, bass, etc. system

2) He DOES however know of performers who do play non guitar instruments through it, and are very happy with it.

3) In his opinion, a keyboard player doing straight piano...no drums, bass, horns, etc,. would probably find this unit to be very good.

4) He acknowledged very candidly that the demands a full spectrum arranger would place upon it may leave some sonic zones lacking. Most likely the low end because the low ends on a T2 are quite different than on an acoustic guitar.

5) He also stressed that ideally a potential buyer would demo one using as close to the actual keyboard they would use with this and then evaluate it under those conditions.

...Generally, I thought the guy to be pretty frank about it not working ideally for our applications.

The alleged original developer, has his own "version" scheduled for release early in January 09. Its called a bagamp and would retail from around $500...
http://www.collinsamerica.com/page2/page2.html

I have emailed him directly this morning and asked if his product would be suitable for my use. I'll report back his reply...

This doesn't look like a promising way to go, but we'll see...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#248818 - 11/21/08 07:08 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for doing the legwork Bill. Looking forward to your report on the email.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#248819 - 11/21/08 07:23 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Bill in Dayton Offline

...my CS rep at Sweetwater will be setting up a T3 and the Fishman system in their demo room over the weekend so he can get his arms around how it actually sounds. They are technically closed - (M/E Inventory), so it should be good conditions to do this...

If he feels this produces good quality results, my lovely Wife and I may take our normal Sunday morning drive / lunch date up to Ft. Wayne, IN and put it through its motions with my actual T2 and Digitech harmonizer, with my mic, etc...I'll also set up my current PA side by side to compare...(If I'm going all that way, why not, eh?)

A major question for me is the low end response and overall general output. If this doesn't look usable, then I think a Bose in the way to go...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-21-2008).]

#248820 - 11/21/08 07:47 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Bill in Dayton Offline

update...

CS rep at Sweetwater just called back to say he ran a PSR900 through it and thought it performed very well...

He said output wise, if the two of us had been standing within 5-10 feet of it at 50% volume, we would've had to really yell to each other to be heard.

Clarity wise he thought it sounded a bit "broken up" (his words) when we stood right next to it, but improved as he moved more than 5' away. He commented that may be more a function of his hearing and not the Fishman.

I've asked him to grab one of the hardcore kb guys and have them put the psr through it and see what they think.

Hopefully, I'll hear something early next week on his findings...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#248821 - 11/21/08 08:08 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Dnj Offline

This thing IMO is nothing more then a pa system to for a business meeting at Amway or a very lightweight acoustic guitar coffee house gig....go with a tried & true system....from the top manufacturers.....heres a nice unit also ...from Roland...watch the video demo

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=698&ParentId=33

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-21-2008).]

#248822 - 11/21/08 08:46 AM Re: Anything new on the Fishman Solo Amp?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
This thing IMO is nothing more then a pa system to for a business meeting at Amway or a very lightweight acoustic guitar coffee house gig....go with a tried & true system....from the top manufacturers.....heres a nice unit also ...from Roland...watch the video demo

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=698&ParentId=33
[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-21-2008).]

Here's some more info on the roland unit...
http://www.rolandus.com/community/insider/hands_on_articles.aspx?ArticleId=14

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online