SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248202 - 11/13/08 09:33 PM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In all fairness, even if a non-touch sensitive screen fails on any of these TOTL arrangers (or MOTL), you are boned, for sure!

They are ALL expensive to replace, and you cannot run your arranger without them...

So far, the only reports of any failures come from impact (shipping, etc.) and not a single one from day to day general usage... That's going to affect ANY screen, touch or otherwise.

I look forward to the day when there aren't ANY buttons on an arranger to fail... just one glorious HUGE touchscreen with faders, buttons and display completely user customizable.

#248203 - 11/14/08 01:37 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
In all the years I've had my Wersi and Triton my touch screens have never failed, glitched, or done anything to make me believe they are about to fail. .

That's wonderful, Ensnoreyou, but until they make touch screens with tactile feedback, they will remain off my list as an interface.

As I said earlier...you may as well be pressing on a piece of paper.

You will never convince me a touchscreen is better than buttons, so don't waste my time...please.

Ian

#248204 - 11/14/08 01:49 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...I look forward to the day when there aren't ANY buttons on an arranger to fail... just one glorious HUGE touchscreen with faders, buttons and display completely user customizable.

And I look forward to the day the keyboard are built with a docking-slot to pace a
huge laptop where the screen are.
The keyboard itself could i.e. have 76 keys, sliders and buttons enough for whatever
use, and standarized in a way that all manufacturers software coud be used.
Then all hardware could easily be swapped in ports at the keyboard, and software and
other needed stuff installed and updated at the laptop.

Oh well, dream on ...

Happy Playing
GJ

Wops, pace a laptop? Should be place

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 11-14-2008).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#248205 - 11/14/08 04:57 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey.., I wouldn't just praise Yamaha's support on this site. I give Yamaha an A+++ on their support. Back when I was having that issue with the NP-30.., I had contacted Yamaha several times (I think my issue was the first report to come in). I didn't hear from Yamaha on it and on another forum I had mentioned I kinda felt shafted as it seemed Yamaha was ignoring the problem.., well that next day Steve Deming gave me a call at home Problem was replicated.., parts shipped, unit fixed., and all was well..
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#248206 - 11/14/08 06:33 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Speaking from past experiences Steve Demming and Yamaha Support are at the top of my list in customer satisfaction.

------------------
Larry
The NEW SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#248207 - 11/14/08 07:00 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I, personally, have only had a single, failure with any of the Yamaha keyboards I've owned since the PSR-500. In my particular instance it was a small board that held the PSR-3000s midi out connector. I called my local, authorized Yamaha service guy, took the keyboard to him the next day, he told me to go across the street to the local diner and have lunch and when I finished he would have the keyboard ready for me. He was good on his word.

Steve Demming has always been extremely helpful, not just on this forum, but on others I frequent as well. From my perspective he is one of the best service reps I've encountered--ever. If TC Helicon had this type of person working for them they would sell a lot more vocal processors. In fact, if anyone had Steve working for them, they would be a lot better off.

As for the above comment about buttons meeting military specs--you must be kidding! Military specs brought us $800 toilet seats, $500 screw drivers and other, utterly ridiculously overpriced products. If that Fairlight DAW's switches met military specs you couldn't afford it. Hmmmmm! Which military would that be?

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#248208 - 11/14/08 07:11 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Aint that the truth Gary Could you imagine what these arrangers would cost if we used the governments military pricing for mark-up on cost! Yikes
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#248209 - 11/14/08 08:06 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Thanks guys and especially Steve for the information. How would I bets determine what part I need? Just the button or the entire button board?

Also, the whole pedal work around is something I didn't know...

Can someone, from scratch, explain the whole procedure, connections, etc?

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#248210 - 11/14/08 08:32 AM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
As for the above comment about buttons meeting military specs--you must be kidding! Military specs brought us $800 toilet seats, $500 screw drivers and other, utterly ridiculously overpriced products. If that Fairlight DAW's switches met military specs you couldn't afford it. Hmmmmm! Which military would that be?

You're missing the point. Button, pot, and switch manufacturers make various grades of products. Military grade is the highest specification which is a classification and has nothing to do with them being overpriced. Most high end pro audio companies (Manley, Massenburg, Forssell) use these type of switches and for one simple reason, they work great, last nearly forever, and their failure rate is practically non existent.

Yamaha does not use these type of switches because they prefer to keep their profit margins high and the way to do that is to utilize cheap components.

The Fairlight DAW does in fact use military spec switches, buttons, and components and it is by no means overpriced for the product you are getting. Fairlight uses these type of products because they are rock solid, reliable, and will give years of use without question.

#248211 - 11/14/08 12:12 PM Re: T2 / Broken button...(Attn: Steve D...)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
2 BILLION isn't bad for a stealth bomber, either, but it's a problem if all you can afford is a Cesna!

C'mon, Ensnare, you seem to know about this stuff... how much WOULD it add to the production cost to change all the knobs and sliders out to mil-spec componentry, and then add the usual markup...?

Damn things are expensive enough already, IMO! Of course, YOU can afford a $250,000 Fairlight, so you seem to be all right Jack! But in the REAL WORLD (the one outside your gated community, probably!), $3500 is still a respectable amount of money...

BTW, Ian, I know you are set in your opinion, but in fairness, I had my doubts when I first got my G70, as well. However, feedback from the physical buttons didn't turn out to be anywhere NEAR as important as I thought it would be. The only occasional problem I have is with the octave button area being in an awkward place, and Lord knows, even physical buttons aren't always placed where we WANT them...!

But as far as triggering reliably when I touch the area, I have NO problems at all... Most of the day to day operation on a G70 is STILL on physical buttons. What would be YOUR major concern, were Yamaha to go the same way? About the ONLY thing I HAVE to hit on the screen while playing is the octave button, and that's a rare occurrence with a 76

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online