SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247872 - 11/10/08 02:12 PM OT - basement heater
zuki Offline

As the winter approaches and my studio (and body) get colder in the basement, I want a really good portable heater this year. Done with those small under the desk gadgets. Looking to heat around 1000 sq', although my isolated room is 15 x 17. Suggestions appreciated.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#247873 - 11/10/08 02:17 PM Re: OT - basement heater
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Zuki check out the Honeywell Quartz heaters ($50)..I have one that works great, and it's not bad on operation cost...

#247874 - 11/10/08 02:59 PM Re: OT - basement heater
Dnj Offline

Hurry Home depot they have em all......

http://tinyurl.com/6c6k34

http://tinyurl.com/3tuz27

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-10-2008).]

#247875 - 11/10/08 03:02 PM Re: OT - basement heater
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Zuki, if you don't want to go the electric route.., a very popular and very INEXPENSIVE way to heat that basement is with a small pot-belly wood stove. I've seen those little gems sell for as low as $139.00 Easy to install and vent..., cheap to heat with too. Not sure if you've ever used one.., but a little pot-belly stove in that basement would have it very toasty and comfortable.

If you're going the electric heater route.., make sure it has a thermostat.. I'd also look for one that has a thermo with up to (3) settings. We've got several electric heaters. Here's what we got:

1 Electric Stove (looks like a wood burning stove) Has thermo.., two heat settings, and the "looks pretty factor" is a 9/10 considering this model is probably the most realistic "fake flame" I've seen to date. The vent is located at the bottom of the heater as well. Would probaby work it's tail off though to heat 1000 sq ft-as would any space heater of course when you consider heating that much square footage) Cost new was $99.00 Home Depot (where we bought ours) gets this particular model in by the boatload

2-Holme's space heaters with two heat settings and a adjustable thermo.(small $12 heaters from Wally-World). Do a great job for spot heating.

1-Oil Filled electric radiator. Very cool heater. Never needs to have the oil refilled.. Numerous settings, but with these understand they need to be placed in a room where there's traffic. They're a stationary heater that uses "radiant heat". My wife puts a very small table top fan on the floor next to ours and it pushs the warmth around.

Bottom line.., you're wanting to heat a large area with an electric heater. That's why I suggested something like a pot belly stove (cheap to install, and cheap to heat with).
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247876 - 11/10/08 07:42 PM Re: OT - basement heater
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

I'm heating 1,500 square feet of basement using a ventless, propane fired, gas log stove. It works great, costs about $30 a month to run during the winter months (October through April), and the stove cost me $895 installed. My Grandpa Bear wood stove was a lot better, cheaper to use, but at my age splitting two cords of firewood every year is no longer an option. The vent-free propane stove is 100-percent efficient, which means none of the heat goes up a chimney. And, they are very safe to use.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247877 - 11/11/08 05:31 PM Re: OT - basement heater
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm not sure I would recommend ANY type of heater that put particulates in the air, no matter how few...

Wood burning in a studio? Not a great idea, IMO Just removing the ash is going to dust up your precious gear...

#247878 - 11/11/08 06:18 PM Re: OT - basement heater
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello,

I live in Florida and my 1953 wood frame house has 1 electric wall heater in the living room. I also have 2 electric oil-filled radiator heaters. The larger one keeps my 14 x 16 bedroom cozy on cold nights. The smaller one goes in my 12 x 13 media room and also does a great job. They don't get too hot to touch, so they are safe and won't cause a fire when unattended. They don't run constantly and the oil inside them holds the heat a long time. If they have a drawback, it's that they won't heat a cold room quickly. You must anticipate when they will be needed and set their thermostats early. I bought mine at Home Depot for about $40 each. I love em! -charley

#247879 - 11/11/08 06:43 PM Re: OT - basement heater
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Charley , I also use the oil filled radiators..they do a good job, but the fan forced quartz heaters distribute quicker for a quickly heated room..

For constant heat, yes the oil filled do a great job..

As with all electric heaters...try to reduce heat loss..

#247880 - 11/12/08 02:34 AM Re: OT - basement heater
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
....As with all electric heaters...try to reduce heat loss.....

That is so true,
my wife had a problem in a very small (~300-350 sqf) apartment she rented. When I carefully installed some foam/polyurethane self stick cords around the window frame and the door frame, we truly FELT the difference in temp around the room. We also had a noticeable difference in the sound coming from the street.

We used something with a "P" profile, similar to that:

Those electric radiators with oil inside do wonders (albeit in very small spaces, like the isolated 15x17 room Zuki talks about).

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 11-12-2008).]

#247881 - 11/12/08 05:15 AM Re: OT - basement heater
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki.., I don't know what kind of wood stoves you've used but they do not put off the kind of dust you're thinking of. I grew up with wood stoves. I grew up on Lake Erie just under Canada. Wood stove heating was common in my area. A small pot-belly stove puts out very little dust.

Plus most people who use wood stoves know.., when emptying the ash to add a little water to the bucket as it greatly reduces any dust floating in the air. I don't know if you're ever used a pot-belly stove, but the ash left behind per full load isn't large at all.

The oil filled radiator heaters are nice..., but as stated you got to anticipate the use and get an early start with them. They will heat a room nicely..., however heating 1000 sq feet with oil filled radiator heaters just may push that electric bill up a bit. Keep in mind they use "radiant heat". It's suggested to use these types of heaters in an area where there is traffic...., as that will help move the heat..., and allows them to run more efficiently. My wife uses one, but she has a "very small" desk top fan that she places on the floor next to the heater... It does a good job at helping to push the air around if the traffic in the room isn't heavy enough.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-12-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online