SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247687 - 11/08/08 10:48 AM PC gurus...., I got a question???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Got an odd one here and can't seem to find the settings to change it. Just for kicks and giggles I downloaded a VERY old and dated version of Cakewalk Express on a "newer computer". I have this version on another computer in my home for a back up seq (even though dated it's a nice program)

Anyways.., on the current computer I downloaded to just about everyting is working fine. However, I'm having issues with the softwares metronome. On my older system when you select PC speakers as the output it works great. For some reason on this computer when I select PC spearkers for output it runs the click through the computers (internal tower) speaker. I've looked in several places but can't seem to get the click to output through the PC's speakers. Any suggestions
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247688 - 11/08/08 10:54 AM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
If your old PC runs a Windows OS then try start button (bottom left)->control panel->sound devices in there you can set the default midi and audio devices which the software might be mapping from

Toney

#247689 - 11/08/08 11:19 AM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
squeak_D Offline

That's what I was looking at I've been all through "Sounds and Audio Devices".., but can't seem to set the click to output from the speakers. It shows my audio card and the Microsoft GS wavetable SW synth and everything appears to be in order, but the click won't come from the external speakers. It's odd.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247690 - 11/08/08 11:29 AM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
Sorry that's all i know - i haven't used Cakewalk but if you don't get an answer you could try a dedicated cakewalk forum such as ***cakewalkforum.com***

#247691 - 11/08/08 03:17 PM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
squeak_D

If You select 'PC speakers' as output it should send the sound signal to internal PC speaker, and not to the ones connected to Your PC. So You should select different destination like 'Direct Sound' or something like this.

Have You checked configuration in Cakewalk Express, if it's anything like Cakewalk Pro 7, then there are lots of chances to make mistake (quite complicated).

[This message has been edited by kalimero (edited 11-08-2008).]

#247692 - 11/08/08 03:20 PM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A lot of manufactures call the inbuilt tower speaker the PC speaker, (And shows up as this in the sound sources)
Therefore set your sequencer metronome to output on your soundcard, “Not” the PC speaker.
Hope this helps

Bill

#247693 - 11/08/08 05:36 PM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
squeak_D Offline

Under the Metronome settings (with this very dated) version of Cakewalk.., the only options are "PC Speaker".., and "Midi Note". Midi Note defaults to channel 10 which is really a pain in the ass when you're trying to record the hi-hat part to a drum track because the midi notes it uses for click are the hi-hats.

I set this software up on an older PC that I have..., and when you set the metro to PC speakers it simply outputs to the external speakers and not the PC's internal tower speaker (which it does have).

I'm thinking of setting up a dummy click track by just leaving it at Midi Note.., then set the channel to 16..., but set up a recording template that uses some blip or bleep sound within the patch list. That way I can lay down a drum track using the dummy click track.. Then just shut off the metro or mute channel 16 after I get the drum track down.

It's a work-a-round, but it should do the job if I can't get it to output on the external speakers.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-08-2008).]

#247694 - 11/08/08 05:58 PM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
squeak_D Offline

HA!!! Worked like a charm. I set up a user template with metro assigned to channel 16. I then used my keyboards Editor Software to set up a user template that has the patch "Castanets" assigned to channel 16 (which works very well for a click patch by the way).

I then maxed the volume of channel 16 and BAM! Instant click baby If I do end up needing track 16..., I can just make adjustments accordingly as I'll always have the user template for my starter.

Thanks for your replies guys. I was hoping I could just get the PC speakers to work, but it's just becoming a pain in the backside.

#247695 - 11/08/08 10:51 PM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can't you adjust the note# that the MIDI click sends on Ch10? That must be a VERY old Cakewalk!

Even Atari Cubase you could easily do this...

We've talked about software sequencers on other posts, squeak, but trust me, Cubase (even older versions you can pick up for peanuts) utterly crushes Cakewalk for ease of use, logical layout, and sheer speed.

Give it a try, if you can, before you lock yourself into a 'system' you won't want to give up after time spent.

#247696 - 11/09/08 04:47 AM Re: PC gurus...., I got a question???
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
You can certainly change the midi note of the click track, from hi hat to something else, like conga or whatever... it could be done on my 386SX running win 3.11 with a hercules graphics card, with cakewalk 3.00, in 1994... don't think you have an older version running!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online