SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247640 - 11/07/08 10:07 PM GW-8 (patch modify question)??
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Am I missing something or is it hidden somewhere else in a menu? I don't see control for LFO (rate, depth, and delay). I also don't see "decay" under the Env section. Is the extent of the GW-8's patch modify section just (Filter-Cuttoff/Reso.) and (Env-Attack/Release)?

LFO's a pretty big thing to leave off (if this is what Roland did)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247641 - 11/08/08 12:07 AM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
ocomain Offline

Squeak,

Several weeks ago there was a software editor posted in the Downloads section for the GW-8 at the Roland US site. It happened to be the editor for the Juno-Stage model and was removed several days later. Because both models share the same basic sound ROM (except for the World sounds on the GW-8), the sound editor should work just fine. Using the software editor, you would have access to all the LFO settings, etc... Kinda frustrating though that Roland would choose to "dumb down" the GW-8 like they apparently have.

Michael

#247642 - 11/08/08 12:18 AM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
ocomain Offline

BTW, here's a link to a demo GW-8 being sold by Sweetwater for under 700.00 (has a 2 year warranty)!
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GW8d/

Michael

#247643 - 11/08/08 08:03 AM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
squeak_D Offline

I'm pretty sure the GW-7 is the same way (missing the LFO parameters), but for that synth/arranger when considering its sound engine wasn't too bad.

However, IMO it just makes no sense to put a Fantom/SonicCell sound engine in a keyboard and leave off the LFO section. Also the Juno Stage software (may or may not work) considering the differences in patch information between the two units. Plus..., say you do manage to get that application (to some extent) capable of tweeking the GW's patches. What then if you want to save a custom patch with edited LFO parameters to the keyboard.., when the keyboard itself lacks these features.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247644 - 11/08/08 10:56 AM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You know, you guys should REALLY read the manuals before you come here in a tizzy! You'd save yourselves and us a LOT of grief!

The parameters squeak is referring to are simply the ones that can be adjusted in realtime from the Analog Modify knobs. All the other parameters can be adjusted from the Tone Modify menu pages...

The only thing that got 'left off' was the time to either try it out or read the manual!

#247645 - 11/08/08 11:09 AM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
squeak_D Offline

I had a feeling it would be under a menu. It's not uncommon for Roland to do it this way.

#247646 - 11/08/08 12:25 PM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
squeak_D Offline

I see in the manual now that you can go into more detail tone editing. I would have read this, but for the last few days I could not get any manuals to load from the Roland site, which is why I posted the question in the first place. Today I was able got get the manuals to open. I also see the GW-7 has more detailed tone editing as well.

#247647 - 11/08/08 12:34 PM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps we can leave our outrage over 'missing' features until AFTER we have investigated the manual?

Let's face it, what Roland product has EVER left the LFO parameters off (even if you maybe have to crack a manual and learn some sys-ex or CC codes to do it)?

Give them a LITTLE credit

#247648 - 11/08/08 12:43 PM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
ocomain Offline

I still stand by my statement that the GW-8 interface has been "dumbed down" compared to the Sonic Cell and the Juno-Stage. Especially since the GW-8 is supposed to be a "Workstation". I thought this was stretching things a bit on Roland's part, just like it was with the GW-7. Just my 2 cents.

Michael

#247649 - 11/08/08 01:03 PM Re: GW-8 (patch modify question)??
squeak_D Offline

I have to agree with you there.... I think keyboard makers are using the term "workstation" a little loosely today. Roland doesn't even list this as one of their arranger either..., nor did they with the GW-7. Both models are under the synth section on Roland's site.

Diki.., I know you're going to say they packed a lot into it, and "hey it's only $895".., but there sure as hell are a few things the GW doesn't do that at nearly $900 it SHOULD do.

The GW has some good features, but it's far from a workstation. The limited style editing and extremely basic seq support this. You shouldn't have to hook up to a sofware seq to get the "workstation" features. Those should already be built in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online