SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#247577 - 11/07/08 07:20 AM Yeah, but what else do you do......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
When you're not making music or yak, yak, yaking on SynthZone, what else occupies gobs of your time (glutonous eating, excessive drinking, and extra-marital affairs excluded). In other words, what are some of your major hobbies, passions, involvements (ie. charity work, etc.), etc. that are not directly related to music. Some examples might be GA (flying), reading the Classics, hunting, bird-watching, restorations of some type (autos, motorcycles, old model trains, etc.), guns, religion (nowhere did I use the word 'bitter' ), sailing, international travel, camping, etc.

If you'd like to share, I think it helps to give a better sense of the person behind the computer screen. For instance, most of us know that Diki is a fine musician and has a wonderful (to some ) way with words, but did you also know that (although it's a profession and not a hobby) he has some SERIOUS recording chops. Yeah, it's music related, but I can guarantee you that only a tiny percentage of musicians know diddly squat about the fine points of recording.

So while we're waiting for Ketron to figure out some things on the Audya, and MediaStation to track down it's parts order, and Yamaha to announce the T4 and Korg the PA3x, and Roland to reinstate the Chord Sequencer , I thought sharing some semi-personal stuff might be interesting.

or not.

chas
Ok, anybody?

#247578 - 11/07/08 07:52 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Right now I don't do much more due to my health conditions, but in the past I loved:

1- to travel
2- to take pictures and make films while traveling
3- to edit the films and organize the pictures once I was back home
4- I don't know how much this is related to the topic, but I also liked to train going to a gym and riding my bike almost twice a week for 70-80 km each time

I hope to do all those things again in the future.

#247579 - 11/07/08 08:09 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have always had an interest in photography, and used to shoot rolls of film of various subjects - seascapes, landscapes, flowers, etc. ... between film and developing it would get quite expensive ... now with digital photography I can shoot all I want and then just delete what I don't like ... recently after a hurricane had passed of our coast, i went down to the shore and took about 150 shots of waves !!! ...
only problem is the space taken up on the PC with the pics ... for the most part I have them categorized in folders, but I need to get them onto CDs ...
A project I have in mind for the winter months is to record some music to put behind our Italy pics to create a slide show ...
The problem I have with digital photography is that you can do so much to a 'photo' after it is taken, that it barely resembles the original ... now, when I look at a beautiful photo, I can't help but wonder how it might have been 'doctored up' ....

I have also liked to 'sketch' things, and since retirement my wife has got me going to art class with her ... I LOVE it - about as much as music !!! In just over 1 year I have completed 3 oil paintings, 2 from photos I took in Italy, and 1 from a photo I 'posed' myself - a large wine glass, 2 wine bottles and grapes ... I have to say the paintings came out pretty good ...

Of course spending time with 4 grandchildren is one of the greatest joys of life ...

t.

#247580 - 11/07/08 09:03 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I play golf and fish, mostly for bass. I live on the golf course, and the lake is 1/2 mile away. I build golf clubs also.
I also work with the Sheriff's Department a few days a month, patrolling the Parish (County).
Got a couple of grandsons now and they are getting to the fun age, so that will take more time also.
Of course entertain drunk people every night!
Life is good and I'm grateful.
DonM

#247581 - 11/07/08 09:09 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I graduated with an accounting degree and, after working a week or so, thought that sucked. After that, I decided to only do for a living what I would do for fun.

Fun is music, photography, film production, illustration, graphics, writing copy, package design, communications research, teaching at the college level...stuff like that. I get to do all that for a living. That's why I'm not close to retiring or slowing down.

For pure fun I rehab houses (4 completed this year at a nice profit) and am a partner in a DJ operation that specializes in car shows with my youngest son. He and I also build show cars, restore old Cushman motor scooters and build custom motorcycles. Our company owns several planes, but, these days, I'm mostly a passenger.

My grandson is my drummer and my oldest son is my bass player on a job or two a week. That's a ball.

I collect stringed instruments and currently have over 300 pieces, including some rare and very valuable ones. Then, there's the keyboards, including two B3's, a C-3, an M, a suitacse Rhodes, DX-7...lots of old tube amplifiers and Leslies...you get the idea (music pack-rat).

I actively support a variety of charities, including playing one job a week and donating the funds to a group that lobbies for nursing home reform. Through a trust I manage, I distribute in excess of $250,000.00 annually to worthy causes, which is extremely fulfilling.

And, I obviously enjoy the antics on the Synthzone.

Russ

P.S. Trying to adopt Chas, but need a valid birth certificate and nobody kept records that long ago.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247582 - 11/07/08 09:22 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am a semi retired "Contractor"....not that kind Chas...a building contractor..
Semi means I pick the jobs I want to do..or none..

I have always been active in sports..mostly basketball ( a player, not a button pusher. )..but had to give it up 3 years ago when my achilles (both) were hurt at the same time...after a week or two I was fine again..played another month and decided not to force the issue..I need my strength to carry my G70..

I also like to take pictures and video..

What is important to me...My faith, my family, my friends, my health...and my keyboard of choice..

I have no worries or concerns at the moment...I have been blessed with financial, problem free family..as in no drugs etc...I have 4 grown children ( me and my wife)..all doing well( my oldest daughter has just started teaching (got her teaching degree at age 40...and 6 grandkids....and most important ..they all live within 5 miles from our home...

Here at Synth Zone, it appears on occasions to be a conflictual person..but in reality....NOT...

#247583 - 11/07/08 09:23 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
After work I run a charity for separated parents http://www.sharedparenting.org.uk/ The site will be updated in the next few weeks. Most evenings i spend about an hour responding to parents who need help gaining access to their children through the courts or mediation. I also go to their homes and help them with their court applications and occasionally appear in court with them as a lay representative if they cant afford a solicitor. When i am not doing that i am spending time with my own daughter when i have my own alternate weekend contact with her and in between that i work on arrangements for the youth choir at church and play my PA1x till early morning. Then start the cycle again !!!!

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 11-07-2008).]

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247584 - 11/07/08 09:24 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, where are your comments..Surely you are going to answer your own post..

#247585 - 11/07/08 11:08 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i used to run a foundation, charity for abandoned children and very poor families. i was the general manager for 5 years. this year i change, i work for another organization for local fundraising.

soon i believe i will start my own charity, to work with children and teenagers.

i like what i do, helping people. i also enjoy very much my work for the church, i enjoy traveling, but lately i am quite laisy - after i got married!

i enjoy photo editing, (home) video editing, computers in general.

#247586 - 11/07/08 11:08 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Oh yes, golf is also a passion ... but if I ever got to play with DonM he would have to give me about 10 strokes ...PER SIDE !!! ... ...

t.

#247587 - 11/07/08 11:09 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Interesting thread and nice to hear what other members do.

My main gig is I run an IT department at a 3 office law firm. My fun things other than music, are/were road racing and triathlon. Due to a combination of a few injuries the last few years I've had to curtail some of that acitivity. In the last 24 years I have competed in 120 plus long to short distance triathlons. Distances that range from swimming 1.2 miles in the Hudson River off Liberty State park in New Jersey (yea a tetanus shot was required to do the swim), then biking 110 miles accross the state of New Jersey ending in Philly, then running 5 miles once getting to Philadelphia to the short distances of half mile swim, 12 mile bike, followed by a 3.1 mile run. I have also completed a dozen full 26.2 mile marathon runs that have included 3 in New York City, The Marine Corps in D.C and 8 Rhode Island Marathons. I've recovered enough from injuries that I can now run 3 to 5 miles without the risk of further injuries. I'm not getting any younger, but I may have one more marathon left in me and that could be Chicago 2009.

I also work with folks who are trying to or are recovering from alcoholism.

[

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247588 - 11/07/08 01:05 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Oh yes, golf is also a passion ... but if I ever got to play with DonM he would have to give me about 10 strokes ...[b]PER SIDE !!! ... ...

t. [/B]

We can play in January, during the Jam!
DonM

#247589 - 11/07/08 01:06 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I'm not performing, which is most of the time, I'm writing magazine articles on boating, sailing, recreational fishing and shooting photos for those articles. When the weather permits, I sail the waters of Chesapeake Bay in a 27-foot Catalina sailboat. If I can find a 47-foot Morgan Out Island that I can afford, I'll spend more time sailing the mid-Atlantic's ocean waters, then sail south for the winter and perform in the Florida Keys.

If the weather's nasty, I'll mix up a batch of Green Coconut Margarettas or Kickapoo Joy Juice (homemade Kahlua), work on some new songs, and spend time exploring the inner workings and operating systems of various keyboards.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247590 - 11/07/08 01:25 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
When I'm not performing, I write magazine articles on boating..

PLease Gary where??I love such articles!

#247591 - 11/07/08 02:36 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I search the web for creative ways to use midi files. Like this....

http://amiestreet.com/music/wing/wing-sings-ac-dc/

Give the 2 demos a listen.

-mike

#247592 - 11/07/08 02:38 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
zuki Offline

I had more of a life before I came out of music retirement 3 years ago now. It totally consumes my entire day and week, with the number of jobs I do.

Besides that, I still run my own independent chemical sales business. Next year, I've curtailed weekend jobs (to a minimum) in order in keep up administratively

Enjoyment: these days is working on new music and working with my brother to form a new business partnership.

I also love to work out in my basement gym, complete with the treadmill, weights and dry sauna

Married for 31 years with 3 kids/3 grandkids and a wonderful family - blessed.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 11-07-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#247593 - 11/07/08 02:42 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I enjoy sushi (it's an expensive addiction!), football (Roll Tide! Go Saints!), sailing (used to be competitive windurfer/catamarans sailor, now just like sailing my friend's 50' Catalina), reading, and a good game of poker with friends...

But my greatest love has always been just going out and playing with friends, strangers, anybody that sounds good. Your own gig is what it is, but sitting in is ever-changing, ever demanding, ever rewarding... I probably split it 50/50 between the trombone and keys, depending on how I feel that night... It's good to get away from the ivories from time to time...

#247594 - 11/07/08 03:08 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
travlin'easy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[b]When I'm not performing, I write magazine articles on boating..

PLease Gary where??I love such articles!

[/B]

At one time I wrote articles for two-dozen publications, but now I publish in just one-- Ira Black's Noreaster Magazine, which covers the mid-Atlantic region. My columns run every other issue. You'll find them at http://www.noreastermagazine.com/

Cheers,

Gary

#247595 - 11/07/08 03:20 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
When I'm not playing, I'm usually with my wife or my kids...

Every year I've blocked out my Friday nights during Marching band season so we can watch our middle daughter play during the FB games. They take their marching band real seriously here in Troy, OH. In fact, (this is where I brag proudly!), THS has the longest running streak in the entire State of OH getting "Superior Ratings" during the state competitions. Two weeks ago they earned their 29th consecutive Superior rating, which was thrilling. Next year, Brittany, who plays the flute/piccolo is a favorite to be the Field Commander! Also, they've been invited to perform in the 2010 New Years Day Parade in London, England...

(Fundraising has begun...I expect everyone to buy at least one candy bar!)

We usually follow that up watching our youngest, Tara play JH soccer a few times a week as well.

My wife and I love to be together, taking rides, enjoying a meal or walking somewhere.

For me, I love the NHL and my Pittsburgh Penguins. I also run two APBA hockey simulation leagues on line.

Life is really pretty good...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247596 - 11/07/08 04:29 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
old and retired rock and roller, played for 45years all over.never had a day job . had a few brushes with some big name people (what musician hasn't?). retired to florida in 93 because of health. got the big "C" and re-retired to (WHAT!!!!>>>ARE YOU CRAZY GIVING UP PARIDISE FOR.....) Ohio to be next to family and a hell of alot better health care. I played as a single keyboard/ vocals or with duo or group like situations. I have done studio/tours/and club situations. I've taken this year (08) off to beat the cancer. Meanwhile, i'll keep my fingers nimble with a little practice. i miss (florida) and my partner liza, but i know i'm where i'm suppose to be because of my health and family. i've been checking out the music here . maybe it's best that i'm not playing. it's a different culture here. i haven't figured what to do with myself yet. i've really been too sick to try to play. i have a yamaha, korg keyboards. and a 1400 watt pa. maybe i'll get better but with 3 heart attacks,and now cancer, just focusing on fighting back. after all, that's what it's all about.... just keep tryin. like the song says, "just one more day" (by my man otis redding). now the dr. is looking at barb's heart. she's scared ,i'm scared . nov 11 , stress test day. but i fell deep inside that its all going to be ok.
regards
dave

#247597 - 11/07/08 04:37 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey dave-

Keep the faith and good luck with your stress test next week. Hopefully we can hook up before the end of the year.

What part of C-bus are you near?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#247598 - 11/07/08 04:44 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
HaM Radio, Flying large scale Radio Controlled model aircraft, especially WWII planes, Photograohy, Fishing for Muskies.

Lee

#247599 - 11/07/08 07:05 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247600 - 11/08/08 07:03 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

What part of C-bus are you near?
north columbus
worthington ohio, at rt23 and 270

#247601 - 11/08/08 07:47 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Work PT selling MI,PA and recording gear.
Ride the Yammy V STar 1300, or take boat rides with the wife on the waterway. In the Winter Im addicted to Madden on PS3. Wife and I do the racing games...She loves them laughs all the way though.A couple Boston Terrier fill in the rest of the time.....and Fox News, and TIVO CSI MIami are a fav passtime late night
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247602 - 11/08/08 07:47 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
travlin'easy Offline

Dave,

Good luck on the tests and I hope both of you fare well.

Gary

#247603 - 11/08/08 08:10 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I've been a professional musician since I was 16 with a 5 year break when I was in my 20's. I actually got a real job and was a hotel manager. That was a lot of fun and it took me to Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas for 3 years. These days I play around 300 shows per year, I am music director at a United Methodist Church and I teach a class at a local community college. For recreation I love to cycle. I participated in 4 Cycle Across Maryland rides in the 90's. My health has slowed me down recently, but I'm back on the bike and pedaling away. I also spent 20 years sailing. One of my favorite boats was a Catalina 27 like Gary's. My wife and I love to travel and do so often. I have 2 sons, 20 and 15 and they are doing very well. My 15 year old plays tenor sax for Baltimore's Marching Ravens. Since he started that, we've become season ticket holders, so football is a big part of the fall. It's a great life and I still get to do what I love.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#247604 - 11/08/08 09:44 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Dave ... wishing you the best in your battle ... our prayers are with you ....
t.

#247605 - 11/08/08 09:47 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Still NOTHING from the creator of this thread ?!?!?!? .....

c'mon chas, let us know the REAL you ...
t.

#247606 - 11/08/08 09:48 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

PPS ... I ran the NYC Marathon 3 times ... got a few medallions and 2 new knees for the effort ...
t.

#247607 - 11/08/08 01:49 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
PPS ... I ran the NYC Marathon 3 times ... got a few medallions and 2 new knees for the effort ...
t.

I couldn't run a marathon if they put a naked Hallie Berry on a mechanical rabbit in front of me........but I would give it a helluva try .

chas

#247608 - 11/08/08 03:50 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Well....let's see, I'm 60 , a little over weight, not in athletic shape ...even though I do a lot of remodeling wotk at my cottage...BUT a naked Hallie Berry ...Count me In! Please, make the Marothon short..maybe 1/2 mile. :-)
Lee

#247609 - 11/08/08 03:55 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As long as you guys remember what to do when you catch her.....

#247610 - 11/08/08 04:37 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
cgiles Offline

chas

#247611 - 11/08/08 05:15 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Well....let's see, I'm 60 , a little over weight, not in athletic shape ...even though I do a lot of remodeling wotk at my cottage...BUT a naked Hallie Berry ...Count me In! Please, make the Marothon short..maybe 1/2 mile. :-)
Lee

She wouldn't even have to naked ... she is a TRUE fantasy ... pardon me, but MILF !!!!! ... even on 2 fake knees !!! ...

But I think this thread is taking a wrong turn ... especially since she isn't here ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-08-2008).]

#247612 - 11/08/08 05:40 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I program video games and I play video games. The last one I worked on was Saint's Row 2 http://www.saintsrow.com It is exactly the sort of video game that good parents complain about corrupting their kids. Ok, it's a dirty job but someone has got to do it.

Oh yeah and I play weekends in a classic rock band http://aband.com

And by the way I run a website at http://synthzone.com

#247613 - 11/08/08 10:46 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Do you have a hand in the music programming, or are you a code monkey?

Game music is quite the growth area, these days...

BTW, we are ALL happy you have hobby #3!

#247614 - 11/09/08 06:39 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I program video games and I play video games. The last one I worked on was Saint's Row 2 http://www.saintsrow.com It is exactly the sort of video game that good parents complain about corrupting their kids. Ok, it's a dirty job but someone has got to do it.

Being a (kinda) Games junkie, I find your job fascinating Nigel (and told you so in previous private emails) - I've always wanted to try SR2 - I thought GTA IV was a (minor) milestone in gaming, SR seems to be the "fun/comedy" version of GTA.

I'd LOVE to know how much work goes into Sandbox titles like that!!!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#247615 - 11/09/08 11:02 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Dnj Offline

Fine Dining out with my wife, kids, & very good friends, New 1st Granddaughter,
Metal Detecting, Watching Football, Baseball, & of course Music, Music, Music!

#247616 - 11/09/08 04:21 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
As long as you guys remember what to do when you catch her.....

Catch who? crap, i already forgot who i was chasing. getting too old. i guess i'll go back to reading my "senior times"

#247617 - 11/09/08 04:23 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

o h, by the way thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys. i'm sure it will be ok. i'll post the results on this thread.

#247618 - 11/09/08 10:21 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by wrinkles303:
o h, by the way thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys. i'm sure it will be ok. i'll post the results on this thread.

May God Bless you and your Family. I know what your family is going through. I cannot imagine what you are going through. My wife had a bout three years ago and beat it. My Dad wasn't so lucky, at 78 he was diagnosed with ACL he wa He was in remission then caught a staph infection while in the Hospital with no white or red cells due to Chemo. He could not over come it.He still bowled but went down fast in three final days. We talked, He went to bed and woke up in a Coma July 21 and died 9am peacefully.

We don't hold the Hospital Responsible. It's Gods Will and it's not rare for someone to catch an infection in a Hospital. He was bowling two weeks before.And active three days before he passed. Not bad for 78.

But he taught me how to live....and die.Who could ask for more. He felt so bad for us because he knows what its like to lose a father and we did not. I understand now his concern. God Bless you.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247619 - 11/09/08 11:25 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Do you have a hand in the music programming, or are you a code monkey?

I am a code monkey lol Most game developers don't have inhouse music and sound production as it is almost always outsourced to production houses nowadays ... unfortunately. Back in the 80s and early 90s I was involved in game music and sound but that stopped as projects became big budget and parts of the game development could be outsourced. Art, sound and music are obvious areas while the actual coding can't really be done like that.

And due to the big budgets that AAA games have now the production houses that are used are often Hollywood based and are the same ones used by the motion picture industry. The day of the small independant game composer/musician have generally passed on though smaller independant games may still offer a chance of breaking into that market.

Games like Saints Row2 and GTA pretty much just used licensed commercial music for the majority of music heard in the game. In fact games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band are generating more money for established artists than they can make nowadays with their own album sales. AeroSmith are an example of this having made a lot of money out of the special AeroSmith version of Guitar Hero.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-10-2008).]

#247620 - 11/09/08 11:37 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
I've always wanted to try SR2 - I thought GTA IV was a (minor) milestone in gaming, SR seems to be the "fun/comedy" version of GTA.

I'd LOVE to know how much work goes into Sandbox titles like that!!!

I agree with you about SR2 being the fun/comedy version of GTA. The fun factor and player customization beats GTA hands down. GTA on the other hand does have the edge on graphic presentation. But for me it is the gameplay and not particularly the graphics that make the game fun to play. While graphic polish is awesome at first that wears off very quickly.

I really like the story and characters in SR2 as well. The character scripting is really excellent. The co-op and multiplayer modes make it fun too. It's well worth having a look at if you get the chance.

I guess SR2 took around 3 years with most of the team being based in Illinois and a small group where I worked in California. Probably a total of up to 100 people. The overall cost of development would probably be between $20-30 million which is typical of a AAA game title nowadays on multiple platforms ( such as Xbox 360 and Sony PS3 ).
Also a game must be translated ( all speech and text ) for Spanish, French, Italian, German and Japanese versions which also takes some time and work. Testing a sandbox game also requires a lot of testing which really adds to the cost.

If you get to play the Sony PS3 version you can look me up in the credits lol ( Our group didn't work on the Xbox 360 version ).

( And here's a tip - in the higher Mayhem missions where you are simply trying to achieve a $ amount in senseless destruction nothing beats walking into a casino with a rocket launcher and plenty of ammo ).

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-10-2008).]

#247621 - 11/10/08 02:38 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
cgiles Offline

So Nigel, can you modify my copy of Tiger Woods golf so I can beat my wife. I'm willing to pay good money.

chas

#247622 - 11/10/08 03:42 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
-To compose,increase and play everyday my own musical repertoire.
-To teach music classes with kbds and acoustic guitar for my young students.
-Digital photos.
-My old cameras collection-
-To take care of my old Citroen 2cv, 1973, 100% mint.
-My four dogs:Zeus (Golden retriever)Pepeu (Daschund) Doroteya (Mini poodle) Sebastian (Schnauzer).

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 11-10-2008).]

#247623 - 11/10/08 07:58 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
captain Russ Offline

Chico, LOVE my old cameras, including some old Kodak folders, Brownie box cameras (127), Rolli twin lenses (2 1/4"x2 1/4"), 4"x5" and 8"x10" view cameras, old press 4"x5"'s, Russian Hassy copies, Argus c-3's...even an original pinhole camera, plus Nikormats, F 2's and F 3's. Even my medium format's (Pentax 6x7's), which we used as recently as a year ago, are now in the antique category.

Believe it or not, we still use 4"x5" view cameras, only now we use a digital back connected to a computer with major memory for much studio work that requires parralax correction. Some single immages are approaching 80 meg (outdoor billboard images, large posters, big package art, etc.).

Got a little of everything! Lots of fun and good memories.

Russ

#247624 - 11/10/08 08:08 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Russ ... is there ANYTHING you don't have a collection of ?!?!? ...Where do you KEEP all this stuff ?!?!? ...
uh ... forget the rest of it, where do you keep your collection of WOMEN???

t.

#247625 - 11/10/08 09:26 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
captain Russ Offline

Tony, if I had a collection of women, I'd give all the other stuff up in a heartbeat.

Oh, wait a minute. I must have been reverting
to 1977 or so. Still "fire" at the pretty little things occasionally, but now it's like using an empty pistol...still aim it, but never intend for it to actually go off!

Russ "dateless and desperate" Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 11-10-2008).]

#247626 - 11/11/08 04:39 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

hey guys,
barbs heart checked out ok. he still looking at what causing the problem. thanks for the kind words, thoughts and prayers.
dave

#247627 - 11/12/08 04:04 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
After 21 years in music retail, I decided to try auto sales ( internet manager/Saturn) and I love it. Despite the economic times, I'm making more $ than I ever have. I am happy.

When I am not working, I spend time with my wife & kids ( son plays lacrosse - daughter field hockey & lacrosse). Oh , yeah , my son plays that Saints Row Stuff too ...

I am currently recording praise and worship music....

Sundays are dedicated to playing in Church & watching football with the family.

I love playing racquetball when I get the chance and my body feels ok.

#247628 - 11/12/08 06:21 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wrinkles303:
hey guys,
barbs heart checked out ok. he still looking at what causing the problem. thanks for the kind words, thoughts and prayers.
dave

Great news, Dave ... hope the cause is nothing serious ...
t.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online