SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#247587 - 11/07/08 11:09 AM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Interesting thread and nice to hear what other members do.

My main gig is I run an IT department at a 3 office law firm. My fun things other than music, are/were road racing and triathlon. Due to a combination of a few injuries the last few years I've had to curtail some of that acitivity. In the last 24 years I have competed in 120 plus long to short distance triathlons. Distances that range from swimming 1.2 miles in the Hudson River off Liberty State park in New Jersey (yea a tetanus shot was required to do the swim), then biking 110 miles accross the state of New Jersey ending in Philly, then running 5 miles once getting to Philadelphia to the short distances of half mile swim, 12 mile bike, followed by a 3.1 mile run. I have also completed a dozen full 26.2 mile marathon runs that have included 3 in New York City, The Marine Corps in D.C and 8 Rhode Island Marathons. I've recovered enough from injuries that I can now run 3 to 5 miles without the risk of further injuries. I'm not getting any younger, but I may have one more marathon left in me and that could be Chicago 2009.

I also work with folks who are trying to or are recovering from alcoholism.

[

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247588 - 11/07/08 01:05 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Oh yes, golf is also a passion ... but if I ever got to play with DonM he would have to give me about 10 strokes ...[b]PER SIDE !!! ... ...

t. [/B]

We can play in January, during the Jam!
DonM

#247589 - 11/07/08 01:06 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I'm not performing, which is most of the time, I'm writing magazine articles on boating, sailing, recreational fishing and shooting photos for those articles. When the weather permits, I sail the waters of Chesapeake Bay in a 27-foot Catalina sailboat. If I can find a 47-foot Morgan Out Island that I can afford, I'll spend more time sailing the mid-Atlantic's ocean waters, then sail south for the winter and perform in the Florida Keys.

If the weather's nasty, I'll mix up a batch of Green Coconut Margarettas or Kickapoo Joy Juice (homemade Kahlua), work on some new songs, and spend time exploring the inner workings and operating systems of various keyboards.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247590 - 11/07/08 01:25 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
When I'm not performing, I write magazine articles on boating..

PLease Gary where??I love such articles!

#247591 - 11/07/08 02:36 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I search the web for creative ways to use midi files. Like this....

http://amiestreet.com/music/wing/wing-sings-ac-dc/

Give the 2 demos a listen.

-mike

#247592 - 11/07/08 02:38 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
zuki Offline

I had more of a life before I came out of music retirement 3 years ago now. It totally consumes my entire day and week, with the number of jobs I do.

Besides that, I still run my own independent chemical sales business. Next year, I've curtailed weekend jobs (to a minimum) in order in keep up administratively

Enjoyment: these days is working on new music and working with my brother to form a new business partnership.

I also love to work out in my basement gym, complete with the treadmill, weights and dry sauna

Married for 31 years with 3 kids/3 grandkids and a wonderful family - blessed.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 11-07-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#247593 - 11/07/08 02:42 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I enjoy sushi (it's an expensive addiction!), football (Roll Tide! Go Saints!), sailing (used to be competitive windurfer/catamarans sailor, now just like sailing my friend's 50' Catalina), reading, and a good game of poker with friends...

But my greatest love has always been just going out and playing with friends, strangers, anybody that sounds good. Your own gig is what it is, but sitting in is ever-changing, ever demanding, ever rewarding... I probably split it 50/50 between the trombone and keys, depending on how I feel that night... It's good to get away from the ivories from time to time...

#247594 - 11/07/08 03:08 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[b]When I'm not performing, I write magazine articles on boating..

PLease Gary where??I love such articles!

[/B]

At one time I wrote articles for two-dozen publications, but now I publish in just one-- Ira Black's Noreaster Magazine, which covers the mid-Atlantic region. My columns run every other issue. You'll find them at http://www.noreastermagazine.com/

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247595 - 11/07/08 03:20 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
When I'm not playing, I'm usually with my wife or my kids...

Every year I've blocked out my Friday nights during Marching band season so we can watch our middle daughter play during the FB games. They take their marching band real seriously here in Troy, OH. In fact, (this is where I brag proudly!), THS has the longest running streak in the entire State of OH getting "Superior Ratings" during the state competitions. Two weeks ago they earned their 29th consecutive Superior rating, which was thrilling. Next year, Brittany, who plays the flute/piccolo is a favorite to be the Field Commander! Also, they've been invited to perform in the 2010 New Years Day Parade in London, England...

(Fundraising has begun...I expect everyone to buy at least one candy bar!)

We usually follow that up watching our youngest, Tara play JH soccer a few times a week as well.

My wife and I love to be together, taking rides, enjoying a meal or walking somewhere.

For me, I love the NHL and my Pittsburgh Penguins. I also run two APBA hockey simulation leagues on line.

Life is really pretty good...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-07-2008).]

#247596 - 11/07/08 04:29 PM Re: Yeah, but what else do you do......
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
old and retired rock and roller, played for 45years all over.never had a day job . had a few brushes with some big name people (what musician hasn't?). retired to florida in 93 because of health. got the big "C" and re-retired to (WHAT!!!!>>>ARE YOU CRAZY GIVING UP PARIDISE FOR.....) Ohio to be next to family and a hell of alot better health care. I played as a single keyboard/ vocals or with duo or group like situations. I have done studio/tours/and club situations. I've taken this year (08) off to beat the cancer. Meanwhile, i'll keep my fingers nimble with a little practice. i miss (florida) and my partner liza, but i know i'm where i'm suppose to be because of my health and family. i've been checking out the music here . maybe it's best that i'm not playing. it's a different culture here. i haven't figured what to do with myself yet. i've really been too sick to try to play. i have a yamaha, korg keyboards. and a 1400 watt pa. maybe i'll get better but with 3 heart attacks,and now cancer, just focusing on fighting back. after all, that's what it's all about.... just keep tryin. like the song says, "just one more day" (by my man otis redding). now the dr. is looking at barb's heart. she's scared ,i'm scared . nov 11 , stress test day. but i fell deep inside that its all going to be ok.
regards
dave

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online