SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247475 - 11/06/08 03:00 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
"Look, I'm not criticizing for the sake of it... "

Diki, I realize your not criticizing for the sake of it.. I have no problem with your uncertainty.

But I thought I would give you an idea of how the SD1/SD1plus works..

With the SD1 or SD1plus, you incorporate audio loops within a style by naming the audio loop the same name as the style
( ofcoarse the length of the loop needs to match tempo) which in turn streams the audio loop from the harddrive, while the style plays.

Keep in mind, the audio loop works only if the loop does not need to recognize chord changes ( drums) .. And the loop will adjust to tempo change, as long as it style sounds musically correct.

You are right in knowing that it is hard to incorporate audio loops and most owners of the SD1/SD1plus do not know how to do it.

Of the 307 Styles on the SD1 , 198 of the styles were born on the X1 and carried over to the SD1( all midi generate styles).

So, we'll see ....

#247476 - 11/06/08 10:55 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Even if I think that all this talk about the Audya (and what it can and cannot do) is rather futile and it would be better to wait till it's out and then dissect its pros and cons, I agree that it's MUCH better to discuss this rather than talk (at least in this Forum) about politics or economy, so I'll try to add fuel to the debate.

My experience with the PA2X Pro has been that, once you try sampled loops, there is no going back. A real drummer, sampled while playing a groove for -say- eight bars has nothing to do with a midifile playing eight bars with a sampled drum kit, even a multi-layered one. That is because the drummer will hit each time the hi-hat or the snare or the ride cymbal not only with a different velocity, but in a different place (side, center, bell, etc), with a different accent and so adding nuances that would be impossibile to reproduce with a midi sequence and a sampled drum set.
On the other hand my experience has been that if you have just a simple percussive loop sampled live, it will inspire you to play in a way unmatched by any midi sequence.

In the past months I have been working on the issue of creating my own drum loops for the Korg PA2X and -hardware like- all it takes is:

1- a sampling CD (like those from Drums on Demand with a lot of sampled loops already trimmed and matched for volume or Eq).
2- (optional) a program like Sound Forge, to slice the loops and save them in Acid format (but the same task can be done by the Korg and -I guess- also by the Audya).

But the reality is that you are limited only by your imagination! Since examples are worth more than words: I am currently working on a new song, that I hope to post in the next few days: it will be kind of a surprise song, and I will also ask you to guess where the "trick" lies.
Stay tuned.

I second those Drums on Demand Loops I Bought 6 volumes. Even edited some 4/4 into 3/4. The Tyros 3 will not eliminate the use of them as well. They sync up well in Sonar.
They were the only loops that came in song format with many fill and variation choices just like "Styles" to choose from within a certain beat choice. No hunting and pecking for the right fill in a different kit.

DOD Loops are really good. I recently got Session Drummer with Sonar 8. Haven't tried that yet but it uses MIDI to play it's samples which then can be looped or recorded in a linear format. But DOD has the stereo mix and EFX going for them. Kind of like Styles. They also come on DVD separately tracked for the more anal "recordist".

Bass on Demand was a waste of money.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-06-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247477 - 11/07/08 02:52 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dan,
thanks
I for one,didn't know about additional Ketron styles.
Don't like my chances of being able to get them over here in Aust. Suppose I won't know unless I phone. Hopefully I may be pleasantly surprised.
They're not actually available to buy online are they???? Some of those latin styles could be a good addition.

I did initially play around with creating drum audio loops for my sd1 from sample cd.
It wasn't all that difficult really.

My main gripe was the lack of note editing functions onboard in the style section , and ok , if it can't be done onboard, it would have been great if they'd created a pc software program that would have made creating & editing styles possible.

Yamaha's aren't that brilliant either with the onboard note editing functions, but at least there's software around that allows one to do it.

thanks again for the info on additional styles .

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:

BTW... for the SD1 owners who did not know about the additional styles, they are some of the best styles Ketron has ever made. Call Ketron distributor...

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-07-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#247478 - 11/07/08 03:08 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What's the price on those 'live loop' styles?

Any conjecture about what Audya loop styles are going to be as well?

#247479 - 11/07/08 04:14 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
What's the price on those 'live loop' styles?

Any conjecture about what Audya loop styles are going to be as well?

Diki , are you talking about the Ketron styles I listed ?

#247480 - 11/08/08 10:48 AM Re: Wow - check out these demos
Diki Offline

Yes, and any forthcoming Audya style pricing (if fixed, yet)...

#247481 - 11/08/08 11:38 AM Re: Wow - check out these demos
mc Offline

Loc: New York
If I can remember the style & song disks were about $10-$20 each. Ketron has a big style library with very nice styles. As far as the Audya it also depends on the euro vs dollar exchange rates, which have lowered from what I understand. I saw somewhere online it was going to be 3800 euros, but I don't know if that changed.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-08-2008).]

#247482 - 11/08/08 12:19 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
Diki Offline

How much audio information could it fit on there if it was able to fit on a disk?

That's not a lot of memory (maybe 1MB after you allow for the style itself) for four loops and fills, intros, endings etc..

What sampling rate and bit depth are the loops?

Decent price, though. I am amazed not every Ketron owner doesn't already have them...

#247483 - 11/08/08 03:18 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
I didn't realize they existed. I bought my SD1+ through the aust. ketron dealer. At the time I certainly didn't see any style disks in the store. I would have bought some.

Quote:

I am amazed not every Ketron owner doesn't already have them...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#247484 - 11/08/08 03:57 PM Re: Wow - check out these demos
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
I'm only guessing, but I think the loops reffered to are midi drum loops not audio drum loops . As you said, there wouldn't be a great deal of space on a floppy disk to fit much in the way of audio drum loops.
I've created a few for my korg, a 1 bar loop (on average) equals 1mb.

I'm inclined to think, the styles use the onboard "Live Drums" and they've created some new midi drum loops for the styles.
Maybe Dan can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ketron even gave us some drum loops ( midi) for the sd2.They were midi phrases in various genres that used the Live Drum sets in the SD2. Live drum sets are nothing like your normal gm/gs drum sets ( as you probably already know).

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
How much audio information could it fit on there if it was able to fit on a disk?

That's not a lot of memory (maybe 1MB after you allow for the style itself) for four loops and fills, intros, endings etc..

What sampling rate and bit depth are the loops?

Decent price, though. I am amazed not every Ketron owner doesn't already have them...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online