SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247361 - 11/06/08 02:06 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Cass..you made the best $400 upgrade on Synth Zone..

Harold , you got a great keyboard..too..

#247362 - 11/06/08 02:11 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Fran Carango Offline

Cass, now find a buyer for that Hammond..

When you get use to the G70 (VK) organ ..you won't want to haul the Hammond...

No other keyboard..anywhere..does all the things the G70 does,,,and does it well..

#247363 - 11/06/08 02:47 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
You are kidding, aren't you, Fran?

The XK-1 absolutely blows the VK section of the G70 out of the water...

Admittedly, the G70/E80 VK section is one of the best in an arranger, but compared to clones like the XK-1, or Nord Electro, it is a whole different beast, IMO. The pre-Leslie reverb send, and the post-main fader distortion are two things that do not plague the clones (or most other arranger sims, actually), and the XK's Leslie... WOW

And Cassp, congrats on the G70... Why not keep your E60 as a backup, then sell it to Donny after he sells his, gets something else and gets bored, then wants the E60 back again?

#247364 - 11/06/08 02:51 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cass,Fran,Jim P.and Everyone...This Day has been CRAZY!...I have been without a arranger for quite awhile now during a very long Home renovation Project,etc plus other things. My Wife Has Her Roland RD-300SX Stage Piano but with my arthritus in my fingers it's hard for me to play a Hammer action long. (Bye the way I'm 60 Years Young)...I have a Yamaha ES-6 Synth with mLAN16E installed just to turn on and play but it's not for me...IT's finding a NEW home soon....Anyways I have been debating E-60,G-70 etc...I don't sing.I had a G-70 a Few Years back I purchased from Jim P.. (Super Guy).That was when they first came out and no upgrades,etc....Sold it...I KNOW They are EXCELLENT now with all the Updates...I just Had a Longing to try an E-60 thinking down the road of maybe adding a pre-owned PRS-900 on Top For some Yamaha Mega Voices/Styles or Ketron SD-2 Module for Voices. I have Mint Roland A-37 controller I never use also...Back To the Topic...Cass saved the day!...E-mailed me...Nothing But a Great Person,Filling My needs with his E-60 All ready to go...What more could I ask! All I have To do is plug it in when I receive it. Plus It's nice knowing who your dealing with...ZONE PEOPLE....Thanks Guys

#247365 - 11/06/08 03:49 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Fran Carango Offline

No Diki, I wasn't kidding completely..Why haul another keyboard for organ that is not that much better than the G70 draw bars..

We are talking about the Hammond XK-1..not the XK-3C..The XK-1 is in the same category as the Roland VK8....and the G70 is close enough...

If you are strictly an organ player..all night... is one thing, but if you are playing piano, bass, arranger and what have you....makes no sense to haul an organ...

Besides if you were an organ player..you would have picked the XK-3C over the XK-1 any how[$700 street price difference)..

If I was Cass I would keep it in mind..and not discount the idea..he may not need the Hammond..too..

#247366 - 11/06/08 04:15 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
G70 is 'close' to the VK8 (debatable - a friend has one. WAY more balls vis a vis distortion than the G70)... A VK-8 is 'close' to the XK-1 (again, debatable - I felt the Leslie and Ch/Vib and percussion on the XK-1 streets ahead of the VK), and if 'close enough' is OK, it's great. In fact, for my live use, yes, it's close enough.

BUT... as you know, I do a reasonable amount of session work, and playing something 'close' just doesn't cut it...

You keep adding those 'close's' up and soon you are nowhere near 'close', and if I already had an XK-1, I certainly wouldn't be trading it away and just going with the G70.

BTW, in the studio we tend to use a Mk2 Korg CX-3, sometimes run through my Motion Sound top, sometimes just direct. If I could get that sound out of my G70, trust me, I would be using that!

#247367 - 11/06/08 04:25 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Harold S:
Hello Cassp...Gee! You only missed AJ's G-70 by $25.00 on E-bay. The winner REALLY got a GREAT buy at $1625.00 plus $45.00 shipping...I came Sooooooo close to Buying it myself. I figured if You purchased it I would be Interested in Your E-60...I'm weighing which way to go still. Decisions,Decisions...I LOVE the Roland Piano's and Sequencers plus MORE....In fact I had My finger on the computer keys to Bid early this morning it was that CLOSE!!!!!!...Best Wishes...I May have questions about the E-60 coming up if You don't Mind?

Cass congratulations on the G70 what a price!! Good luck. Harold good luck with the e60 as well!!

#247368 - 11/06/08 04:44 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

We are talking about the Hammond XK-1..not the XK-3C..The XK-1 is in the same category as the Roland VK8....and the G70 is close enough...

Nope, the XK-1 is superior to my ears...the Leslie sim (same one as the XK-3C) and chorus vibrato are quite a bit better...the user interface is much more user friendly than the VK-8, and the real drawbars are better than the G70's sliders.

I'd hold on to the Hammond if I had it...it's a class act, to be sure.

#247369 - 11/06/08 05:33 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
You guys can discuss the XK-1 issue til you're blue in the face. I was raised on a Hammond, taught on a Hammond and played many of my first adult jobs with a Hammond. The XK-1 is a Hammond, for sure.

One of the reasons I sold my first G70 was because I was unhappy with many aspects of the G's drawbar section. It's not as good as a VK-8 or even my old VR-760. But it is good enough for most jobs that I will play.

The Hammond stays for many reasons. For one, I can midi up my SC88 and have a pretty easy to handle keyboard setup if I need to. Secondly, when I'm playing with a live band, the Hammond is visually and aurally a must have.

Because the G70 is so versatile, I probably will not bring along the XK-1 very often - this one keyboard can handle what I need done. But there will be time when the Hammond is called out of the bullpen as a solo piece or a companion.

For what all of this horse trading has cost me in the last couple years, the Hammond is dessert, and besides - I love it.

#247370 - 11/06/08 05:39 PM Re: Roland E60 - mint condition
Fran Carango Offline

Speaking of organ on the G70..Try mixing the VK engine organ with the sampled organs of the G70..I blend them..The sampled organs use the insert effects Leslie with different adjustment settings than the draw bar simulator...I think using 4 or 5 organ parts on the G70 in split mode....gives a richness and great variations, that are not possible with the VK8 or other stand alone organs...Try what I am talking about...maybe you will draw another conclusion..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online