SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247205 - 11/03/08 12:11 PM Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I have been reading with great interest the threads about the Bose L1...

I have been looking at the system for some time now, but the cost has been a deterrent, but some are becoming available second-hand so I am revisiting the idea.

Trouble is the opinions or just general comment is so polarised it makes it very confusing.

Add to this I am over 600k away from the Bose dealer that Hellboy suggested (at least I think it was him!!), because they will send you a demo system, but in my case they won't because it's too far!!

I am currently using a pair of EV SX 300's running stereo through a Yamaha P3000s as tops and a big sub box driven by a P5000s in bridge.. (yeah I am a GREAT believer in "headroom" LOL)

Trouble is this system, especially the sub at 38kgs) is getting to be too awkward to fit in the old magna station wagon, especially with the size of the "new" keyboard.

I am looking for some advice/ non-polarised opinion or links to other sites on whether the L1 would be a suitable replacement and other related data/advice.

I play some originals, contemp country, CCR, JC, ND, most of the usual Oz pub rock songs (Hellboy would know what I mean) and a sprinkling of ballads. I use mainly smf's (tweaked like you wouldn't believe, I'm almost fanatical when it comes to smf's) and the occasional style, although with the new axe, I might be turning a lot of the smf's into styles .

So if anyone has suggestions/ideas (keep em clean ) I would appreciate it if you could respond.

Thanks
Dennis

#247206 - 11/03/08 12:18 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Dnj Offline

Dennis for that kind of music stick with your system for sure.

#247207 - 11/03/08 01:24 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I love my Bose...but I agree with Donny in your case.
Eddie

#247208 - 11/03/08 01:31 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Dnj Offline

Eddie I agree there is a place for everything.....hope your doing well.

#247209 - 11/03/08 03:43 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dennis,

I haven't been to Oz for more than 40 years, and I'm sure things have changed dramatically from when I was a young man working in Woomera, SA. Back then the pub audiences consisted mainly of younger folks, most in their 20s and 30s. A 40-year-old was considered an old fart.

If this is still the basic audience makeup, I would stick with what you have. It's not that the Bose L1 couldn't handle it--IMO it can handle any pub job, anywhere in the world. Keep in mind, though, the younger audiences really don't give a damned what you play, just as long as it's very loud and distorted.

The L1 provides very crisp, clean, clear sounds, nothing is distorted, and the sound quality is superb. Taking an L1 into an Oz pub is like putting lipstick on your eyebrows--it just ain't smart. All you would need is one drunken 25-year-old to lean against the tower and it would be Game Over.

In contrast, I use my L1 for everything, including a couple Italian restaurants where I perform about 4 times a month. The audiences range from 50 to 75 years of age, then dance all night, and they rave about the L1's sound. The system is lightweight, goes together very quickly, and when properly set up, I don't think there is a conventional sound system that compares.

I'm not sure if the program exists in Oz, but if it does, Bose offers a 45-day trial period, with a no-questions-asked return policy and full refund. You may want to look into this.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247210 - 11/03/08 06:57 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Thanks Donny and Eddie, yes I do suspect you are correct..

Its just I hear and read that much about these that I thought I would ask those who already know about them... I am happy with the current system, most of which is the remainder of the rather large band PA I used to run. But you know , anything that sounds good and is easier to lug .

Gary, where I am, over 40 is STILL considered old and I had a big LOL when I read... "Taking an L1 into an Oz pub is like putting lipstick on your eyebrows--it just ain't smart...." because around here that hit the nail on the head, but around Sydney Melbourne, Newcastle, Wollongong, you would probably be thought of as odd if you DIDN'T!!!

Seriously though, the point you make about one drunk bringing the entire system down is very true, and the L1 does "LOOK" relatively light, it may not be, but it looks it..Thanks for your thoughts, they are all appreciated.

The Bose people I spoke with didn't say anything about a 45 day try/return thing.. I think that is a system pretty much soley in the USA.
I would LOVE to try them though, as there is nothing like going all "touchy feely" with gear I reckon..Bets way to decide.

Dennis

#247211 - 11/03/08 07:42 PM Re: Considering Bose L1
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lipstick on the eyebrows is the LEAST of your worries in the land of "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"!

Not to mention that fixation with marsupial bondage...

#247212 - 11/04/08 02:07 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
hmmmm seems to me Diki has a fixation about pouches

#247213 - 11/04/08 10:42 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I have been reading with great interest the threads about the Bose L1...

I have been looking at the system for some time now, but the cost has been a deterrent, but some are becoming available second-hand so I am revisiting the idea.

Trouble is the opinions or just general comment is so polarised it makes it very confusing.

Add to this I am over 600k away from the Bose dealer that Hellboy suggested (at least I think it was him!!), because they will send you a demo system, but in my case they won't because it's too far!!

I am currently using a pair of EV SX 300's running stereo through a Yamaha P3000s as tops and a big sub box driven by a P5000s in bridge.. (yeah I am a GREAT believer in "headroom" LOL)

Trouble is this system, especially the sub at 38kgs) is getting to be too awkward to fit in the old magna station wagon, especially with the size of the "new" keyboard.

I am looking for some advice/ non-polarised opinion or links to other sites on whether the L1 would be a suitable replacement and other related data/advice.

I play some originals, contemp country, CCR, JC, ND, most of the usual Oz pub rock songs (Hellboy would know what I mean) and a sprinkling of ballads. I use mainly smf's (tweaked like you wouldn't believe, I'm almost fanatical when it comes to smf's) and the occasional style, although with the new axe, I might be turning a lot of the smf's into styles .

So if anyone has suggestions/ideas (keep em clean ) I would appreciate it if you could respond.

Thanks
Dennis

In shear volume and thump the Bose won't come close to what you have, But if you want clarity at non ear splitting levels heard equally by everyone within 170 degrees of the pole, the Bose System is the ticket. If you need the kind of power you have the Bose system is not for you.

We replaced a Mackie 808s and two JBL MR15 (and associated cables and monitors) with it and can use it anywhere we used the Mackie/JBL system with better results and comments from the venues. The Bose won't push 40HZ through your chest like you find in sub bass hyped dance clubs.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#247214 - 11/04/08 11:41 AM Re: Considering Bose L1
miden Offline

Thanks KF...I guess in truth, I don't need the amount of available power I have, but as I said, I have ALWAYS been a believer in available headroom and not running a system to it's max.

From all I have been able to deduce these systems do sound excellent and are a lot easier to both transport and set-up/knock-down.

Can you let me know how you think they sound using your T3 for example? Point of the question being when using styles/smf's do they sound more like a home stereo system (in mono of course) or do they really "cut-it" as a viable PA?

More for ambient "cafe" style music or solid R+R/Pop?

I know they're difficult questions, (like how long is a piece of string!!) but with you experience I think you will know where I am coming from with it.

Thanks
Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 11-04-2008).]

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online