SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#246882 - 11/01/08 09:21 AM Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Link

No wonder that arranger keyboards get such a bad reputation...

#246883 - 11/01/08 09:28 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah..., I saw this the other day. In fairness to Yamaha though.., this demo isn't geared at the Western Market. If this was a video demo for the Western Market.., there would be some real grumbling over here.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#246884 - 11/01/08 09:50 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Link

No wonder that arranger keyboards get such a bad reputation...

Hi Andrea

Bad reputation?
To be honest, I never been aware of the bad reputation, but more the fact that the
(autocomp) arranger keyboards are more suitable for home use, and even more, it's
perfect for One Man Bands and Duos/Trios playing for Weddings, Saturday night at
the local dancefloors etc.

This video is probably made to reach the German users in that category. The
"Flippers", "German Pop" and Traditional has much in common to Scandinavian Danceband
Music.
People like to have fun, and go out dancing to music who is easy to remember lyrics
and sing along to, and if it also have a "lively" rythm to step around the danceflor
without have to do too much thinking, it's even better.

If we compare Woncken and Harris demos, I think it will hit different type of the
customers who might buy this keyboards, and after all, for Yamaha and other keyboard
manufacturers, it's all about sales and profit .......

Cheers and Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#246885 - 11/01/08 10:04 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

I dont see or hear any difference between T3 or T2 do you?

#246886 - 11/01/08 11:37 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't fault Michael for the performance, but this is the market that Yamaha is trying to capture with the T3.

That is why I went over to Korg; much more contemporary sounds, styles, and style. Looking past deficiencies between both brands, I think Korg really get's what musicians want. And they try their best to give it to them.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#246887 - 11/01/08 11:43 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What I do see people lurking ready to bounce on any thing to make their point.

I have no doubt that the video was made for a certain German market and I find no reason to critic it. He was doing what he had to do to reach certain type of people. Do whatever it takes to do a good job, sounds familiar.

IMHO, John C.

#246888 - 11/01/08 11:52 AM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
[No wonder that arranger keyboards get such a bad reputation...

I wonder where that bad rep is happening??

I've never heard that from any of my audiences, or any of my one man band or duo friends.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 11-01-2008).]

#246889 - 11/01/08 12:59 PM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Dreamer Offline

Glad to have got some discussion going...

Here is more fuel for your discussions:
1- a demo is supposed to make you think: "Wow! That keyboard sounds really cool: I want one!"; too bad that this kind of music can be played with exactly the same results with a PSR 900 or with another mid-of-the-line arranger. Just try to ask yourselves: if you lived in Bavaria and played Schlager music 24 hours a day, would you need to pay 3000 euros to sound exactly like Voncken sounded in this demo?

2- Speaking of "bad reputation", here is a suggestion to open your eyes: go to a Forum like Keyboard Corner or Harmony Central, post a link to this video, ask the opinion of other keyboard players and watch what happens. Warning: be sure to wear an helmet and a bullet-proof vest.

I have nothing against arranger keyboards; those of you who know me (it's obvious that Bruno 123 isn't one of them) know that I have three of them: Korg PA2X Pro, Roland G-70 and Tyros 2 (in strict alphabetical order... )

Personally I loved the T3 demos by Martin Harris, James Sargeant or Peter Baartmans, but this one obviously falls into another category.

#246890 - 11/01/08 01:21 PM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yes..., it DOES fall into another category. One category it DOES NOT fall into is for the "Western Market". I don't see anything wrong with this demo as he's providing it for another market. You may not like the version of the styles he's playing, but the different genres don't sound the same around the world.

This video isn't even in "english". Clearly he's capable of putting out good demos that appeal to the western market. His PSR-2000, 3000, S-900, and Tyros 2 demos show this.

I think you're being a little too hard on this one. If this was a video in english for the western market with the same music playing.., then I'd say "fire away" as these do not reflect the western versions.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#246891 - 11/01/08 02:37 PM Re: Michael Voncken on the Tyros 3
Dreamer Offline

Squeak,
speaking of "western market", Germany or Austria aren't exactly in Asia, you know...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online