SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246618 - 10/30/08 12:17 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, it wasn't just your post I was responding to...

Just seems there are an awful lot of defensive guys around here if you bring up simple LH chord, RH melody playing around here...

Makes you wonder WHY they are so sensitive

#246619 - 10/30/08 12:49 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Actually, it wasn't just your post I was responding to...

Just seems there are an awful lot of defensive guys around here if you bring up simple LH chord, RH melody playing around here...

Makes you wonder WHY they are so sensitive

Yes, but you are very sensitive too, my friend, or you wouldn't have responded the way you did...so I guess it all evens out.

Sensitive and passionate musicians we are here...

Ian

PS...didn't get a chance to try a Tyros3 yet?

#246620 - 10/30/08 01:16 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Diki Offline

LOL, I guess you are right there...

I guess I shouldn't get worked up about comments that merely display the poster's ignorance about the issue

Mind you, that wouldn't leave a lot here, sometimes, would it?

No dealer in my local area stocks Tyros line. Maybe if it gets to Pensacola (Scott, any news?) I'll give it a spin. But it's a bad time down here to be donking off nearly $4k with the way the tourists have been staying away...

#246621 - 10/30/08 01:20 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Zuki....

Try doing a Younger Wedding today 20-25 yrs old with JUST an arranger KB

I would be shocked to learn people in that age group would even hire an Arranger keyboard player for weddings over a band or DJ and expect modern day music.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246622 - 10/30/08 02:10 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

kingfrog....that's why you have to mix it up with smf/mp3/good vocals & live arranger and be ready to do it all.....go for it!

#246623 - 10/30/08 03:01 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Yes OF COURSE you CAN do far more than play simple one finger chords with your LH and struggle to get even the melody played correctly in the RH on an arranger... But that doesn't mean an awful lot of people aren't doing it that way (I can't, for instance, remember the last demo anyone posted here where they actually strayed much away from the melody and blew a REAL solo - I know there have been some, but I can't for the life of me remember the last one).

Diki ... I love jazz (I have WBGO out of New Jersey streaming on the pc as I am writing this http://www.wbgo.org/listennow/ ), and love to listen to true artists take a tune and "make it their own" during the solos ... I enjoy it when I turn on a jazz station in the middle of a great solo and try to find the chord progression that tells me the title before the artists get back to the melody line ... BUT, not everyone wants to hear a song played like that ...
I will be the first to admit that I do not have the 'chops' many of you have ... unfortunately, I did not apply myself as I should have as a youngster ... But I did listen enough to my parents' and music teacher's pleading for me to "PRACTICE!!!" to bring myself to a level of competency that has brought me countless hours of making music that other people enjoyed ...
Just for the record. I will often take a SMF and 'pare it down' to a trio or quartet, taking out the melody line, or in spots, leave it in to play a counter melody against it...
I guess I am one of those who doesn't stray far from the melody or basic chord changes most of the time, but there is an upside to that as well ... Many audiences, unless they are looking for a good jazz performance, would rather be able to recognize the tune, even during a solo ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-30-2008).]

#246624 - 10/30/08 03:04 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:

I would be shocked to learn people in that age group would even hire an Arranger keyboard player for weddings over a band or DJ and expect modern day music.

I agree. Give those jobs to bands, DJs and Donny

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#246625 - 10/30/08 03:16 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I agree. Give those jobs to bands, DJs and Donny

... and he will take all you can give him and LOVE every one of them ...
t.

#246626 - 10/30/08 03:19 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Diki Offline

You forget that most youngsters getting married get their receptions payed for by people (parents) our age. And that the large part of the wedding party are family members MUCH older than the bride and groom and their friends...

I have done many weddings for youngsters in that age range. You play music that suits ALL generations yourself (classic rock, ballads, some country, folk-rock, whatever) and then you spin some Mary Blige and Kanye West later on (when the old 'uns are getting pooped!).

Everyone goes home happy. Weddings, except for the most spoiled or those paying for their OWN receptions, cater to ALL ages. And you and I won't get hired in the first place if ALL they want is rap and hiphop.

Problem solved...

#246627 - 10/30/08 06:54 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:

Sorry for double post, I'm not sure what happen.

Kingfrog, I’ll second that, my daughter hired a band for her wedding about 15 years ago, I was actively working as a musician at that time. (OMB) I had to think about that.

Wanna hear more – her mother agreed. Aaaaah.

John C.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online