SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246598 - 10/29/08 12:03 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I now turn down all gigs, play only what I want to play, on what I want to play it on.
No strain, no pain, no stress, just happy music.
Just sign me an ex gigging musician financially independent
Thanks Jann, she gave me permission to write that
Bebop

#246599 - 10/29/08 01:39 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
zuki Offline

Squeak,

Not playing for 20s is not snobbish, it's doing THEM a favor. I have a 20 year old and he would hire me LAST to do his party

That said, I could go the smf route, but like Ian said, it's about where and who we want to play for. I'm content to stay away from wedding gigs, etc. Been there, done that, don't need it.

Besides, the senior market certainly allows one to stretch and I do my fair share of kick---- music

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#246600 - 10/29/08 01:47 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two main points. The venue hired you to do what they know you CAN do, unless you actually billed yourself as a DJ and an "I can play ANY tune, any time" novelty act. So a request FAR from your normal repertoire can quite easily be deflected with an "I'm sorry, I don't play that song. Here's another one you might like, and I'll play your request on the break from my DJ collection" (not many here can sing Sting anyway!).

But also, the venue is hiring you to provide the music they thinks best suits the majority of their customers. So, if you are at an upscale restaurant or country club, and some kid eating there with his parents comes up and wants the latest Mettalica, you don't for one minute think you are obliged to play it, do you?

In the original case, I would have said "sorry, I don't do that one, but do you like Fields of Gold, or Every Breath You Take, or Fragile?", Sting songs that are more appropriate to the venue. If not needed, at least you have shown a willingness to meet the requester half-way, and they go back to their seat happy. Or if they are still unsatisfied, you have at least TRIED, and you aren't a juke-box, no matter what the stupid brat thinks you should be!

And the venue owner will be grateful you didn't spoil the mood of his place!

#246601 - 10/29/08 03:04 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

So how does these opinions all help Bill?

#246602 - 10/29/08 05:30 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
zuki Offline

Bill asked for thoughts, not help

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#246603 - 10/29/08 05:43 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

Thoughts = Help

#246604 - 10/29/08 08:04 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Just got home from a triple...Pleased to see I provoked such a productive & polite exchange...

My thoughts on your thoughts:

*This was directed towards OMB's, for sure...

*I DO take requests...and will continue to do so. Its an easy way, when possible, to build customer and fan loyalty...

*Do I think my audience would care if I used midi files? YES! I consistently got compliments from clients and my audience how nice it is to see someone who actually knows how to play an instrument. Some AD's, in fact, have told me outright that the acts that rely on midi files, karaoke, etc. aren't going to get as many gigs as they have in the past. Why? Because the audience "senses" they're not as authentic as the performers who actually "play."

*"Close enough" is a pretty subjective thing. I'd prefer to just beg off on a request before I put a square song in a round style, if you will...

*My specific point wasn't contemporary music in general, I do lots of stuff from the Eagles, Elton John, Hall & Oates, Beatles, Stones, Badfinger with no problem at all. My thing is with the more distinct sounding bands and/or songs, these styles aren't what I need all the time.

...further, think of some of the lines that are the foundation of some pop songs. Carry On, Aqualung, are 2 examples I've had asked of me in the last few months. As the guitar replaced the piano as the primary rhythm instrument in bands, that's where we're likely to find the line of demarcation. Frankly, the standards, big band, classic country, oldies rock are easy to find quality styles that fit properly.

*Like Zuki says, doing an evening of "contempory stuff" isn't that hard. But, for some tunes...its tough...

*I certainly cater to a more mature crowd (40's +) Most of you know I hate restaurants jobs (even though I try one every year it seems, lol)...I'm in a good place where I can take the kind of gigs I want to and turn away the ones I don't.

*My concern with using midi files is that they'll sound too perfect, too much like the record...It'd be on me then to find a way to make it my own, but its a totally different direction for me.

...Who knows? It may suck and I'll move on without it or, I may find it liberating, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#246605 - 10/29/08 08:16 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
MIDI files sound exactly the way you make them sound, and can be made to leave as much room for REAL playing (not LH chords and RH melody line) as you wish...

If SOME folk use them as karaoke tracks, that's no more the fault of the medium than the lousy one finger arranger player that gets you all the bad rap in the first place.

#246606 - 10/29/08 08:57 PM Re: Whether I like it or not...
zuki Offline

"Close enough" and playing requests is synonymous

#246607 - 10/30/08 04:34 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If SOME folk use them as karaoke tracks, that's no more the fault of the medium than the lousy one finger arranger player that gets you all the bad rap in the first place.

So.....you're excluding yourself as an arranger player - just curious!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online