SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246588 - 10/29/08 07:55 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tryggve:
My friend. The people have hired me becase they know what they are gona gett. We in the band are know`n for our special style,We only play dancemusic(scandinavian
dancemusic) A lot of ABBA ,Rockmusic S.Twain
countrylike music.We chain songs often,but not the style.But what do you do if they ask for..say classic music.No I`m the artist
I`m to decide what to play.Otherwise I`ll could call me a jukebox.
Sorry for the poor spelling. Tryggve

As a BAND request can be more difficult with other members .....but I think were talking about single players?

#246589 - 10/29/08 08:15 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
As a BAND request can be more difficult with other members .....but I think were talking about single players?

Ok. it is a little different. ButI do both..
single and in a band. But what I is trying to say is...If your a known say..latinsinger
and player, and they whant you to play rock or country that not right,the one who hired you, has a responabillity to hire the right artist. //Tryggve

#246590 - 10/29/08 08:26 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Before someone hires YOU, haven't they heard YOUR act/show/whatever?
If they heard you and hired you because you play a certain style as a OMB/Arranger player, they should not expect more ... If they heard you and hired you because you play kb/MP3/SMF, that's what they should expect and that's what they should get ...

t.

#246591 - 10/29/08 09:04 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think that, regardless of your philosophy, you should bite the bullet, and arm yourself with a variety of midi's, and or MP3's. Wheras I play mostly arranger styles, I bring my laptop loaded with midi's, and played through a good soundcard and Notation Composer. They are set up as lead sheets and appropriate reg's are keyed to them. I then can play over them and or sing them.

This way, I am covered for the unexpected and sure can provide a better variety as it is called for. I also use MP3 for cover dance tunes.

Bernie

#246592 - 10/29/08 09:10 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I have not heard of a single act who does cover tunes NOT take requests. MY wife carrys hundreds of SMF files and CD tracks of songs she doesn't normally play but has them just in case she gets a request. The tip jar fills up quickly with requests. She encourages requests.

She claims is getting paid as a live juke box for the client and should play what people want to hear. But then again she does not consider herself as a cover player an "artist."

More like someone who traces on tracing paper over the artist.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246593 - 10/29/08 09:34 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I never thought I'd use midi files. When I first heard the concept, I thought well that's just not going to happen. Then..........I started including some singing which I had never done. Gotta say it's a lot easier for me to do vocals when I have a midi file to back me, especially when the backing sounds like the original. I recently played a dinner dance, age 50 to 85 years of age. I think there may have been one 10 year old who was with her grand parents. Someone asked me to play Deliah so they could dance to it. Just so happens I have that in my library. It went over very well had quite a few people on the dance floor, no one came to me and said hey you really weren't playing that tune were you??

Bottom line I want to keep the audience happy and if that's what it takes..........I will. Naturally it's not my preferred way.

#246594 - 10/29/08 09:58 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
First..a non stressful lifestyle...I own it..

I do what I want..day or night...Play gigs because I want to.....not because I have to..

Like Ian, I do not have to be concerned with mortgage payments...still have a wife ..so alimony doesn't exist..

Kids are grown and doing well...Grand-kids are spoiled at my wife's expense...

Secondly...using all the tools available to us..is a smart thing..

When I work with the band (trio)..we use mostly MP3 backing tracks (our own)...and SMF's , also recorded as MP3's..
I seldom use the arranger mode in the trio..

For breaks, I play MP3 cover tunes...

When I work as a solo..I use a lot of straight up keyboard...bass(left hand), drums and piano...not a lot of arranger mode..I rely on SMF's(I do depend on lyrics shown)..and depending on the venue (sometimes replacing a DJ)..I use MP3's...and you bet your bippy, I take request..

My arsenal, besides my G70....a laptop that has around 150,000 SMF's..yes 150,000...and my MP3 library of around 15,000 tunes...
I use Copernic desktop as a quick search and play...when I am a pseudo DJ...

WinAmp is my choice of audio/MP3 player and VanBasco my Midi Player...

I couldn't be any more comfortable than I am today....now if I can figure out a way to cut my driving time to the shore...it could be "perfect"...

#246595 - 10/29/08 10:30 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
REQUESTS
1-If I have it with me and I know it, I play. (Why not?)

2-If the request takes me away from the direction I am going:
I tried never to just play any song, I follow an objective – Build the crowd to a high point – Calm them down dinner was about to be served – I wanted the last 40 minutes of the job to become the most exciting part of the night --- We normally went into overtime or they left in a great mood. (They were feeling up) -- If the request was going in my direction I played it. I did this with my band and latter when I became a OMB. It was successful, it brought in the dollars and approval.

Bernie said, “Come loaded” He is so right.
3-Contemporary music can not be played well by a OMB live! Since the crowds are normally mixed we should be prepared with a SMF to sing along with, and it does not necessarily have to be made by me. In most cases it is better if it’s not, I do not a feel for all types of music, to say so might make me feel good but it would be a lie.

4-This is for me, it is the reason why I am backing off the type of jobs I have been playing.
If your voice does not fit contemporary music do not sing. When Sinatra crossed over and tried he offended many of his fans, he did sound terrible.
I’m from the music of the past, I have a better feel for it, better then the majority of contemporary players. And that goes the other way also. Yes I can do it but it would be heartless to charge for it.

5-If I do not wish to sing the contemporary song the crowd should not be disappointed ---- and so I have an audio complete in itself played by the people who know and feel this type of music.

IMHO, John C.

#246596 - 10/29/08 11:11 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
1. Personally, I found that when you cover a song using a style, that the audience doesn't react the same as hearing a sequence that songs like what is heard on the radio.
So, I have no problem using a midi sequence.

2. Styles can not handle a " bridge" to a song.

As an example ( I do not perform this song) but Stair Way to Heaven has a slow part, than changes to a fast part or Bohemium Rapsody as another example.

When entertaining, the customer like's to identify the song.

#246597 - 10/29/08 11:13 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In my case, I'm asked to do the majority of the society gigs around here. The rest are restaurant and jazz gigs. I've been working here (Lexington) over 45 years. No one hires me without knowing what I do. I politely turn down jobs where the fit isn't right.

Restaurants pay $150.00, but lead to lots of $250 plus gigs.

I honor requests that fit the format of the event and my style. That means no Jimmy Buffet but any jazz standard. Buffet just wouldn't fit the venue(s). I'd please one person and piss off lots of others.

This works for me. I turn down more gigs a year than I take.

Russ

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online